Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

At speed, drag has more of an affect on fuel economy than weight. Also, at least for the GX 460, the type of driving that you use it for really matters in terms of fuel economy. Slower speed start stop driving really burns gas, but it's actually surprisingly efficient at highway speeds.

For sure about types of driving. But I would assume in these big MPG threads people are talking averages here. For example today, I went on instagram and comment/asked a bunch of fully built out GX rigs their MPG. So only cars with full armor, (possibly not underneath), rack, RTT, custom cabinetry in the back, gas, water etc. The range was incredible. When I ask them they obviously understand I am talking about a trip MPG, not just driving to the store.
I got 9MPG, 11MPG, 14-15MPG and all these people are running 33s and I would assume are all at payload or above. So why such insanely big differences? I dont think anybody with that much $ put into a car is stupid enough to say their MPG without mentioning that they are trying to drive 80MPH.. and as far as trails and backcountry roads, is that type of driving style*** on these type of roads, by this I mean, is person 1 going to get significantly different MPG than person 2 on a backcountry road going to have such a huge impact on MPG?

Last edited:

F350joe

For sure about types of driving. But I would assume in these big MPG threads people are talking averages here. For example today, I went on instagram and comment/asked a bunch of fully built out GX rigs their MPG. So only cars with full armor, (possibly not underneath), rack, RTT, custom cabinetry in the back, gas, water etc. The range was incredible. When I ask them they obviously understand I am talking about a trip MPG, not just driving to the store.
I got 9MPG, 11MPG, 14-15MPG and all these people are running 33s and I would assume are all at payload or above. So why such insanely big differences? I dont think anybody with that much $ put into a car is stupid enough to say their MPG without mentioning that they are trying to drive 80MPH.. and as far as trails and backcountry roads, is that type of driving style*** on these type of roads, by this I mean, is person 1 going to get significantly different MPG than person 2 on a backcountry road going to have such a huge impact on MPG?

i have noticed on my 08 that mpg goes way down for short city trips when the engine is cold. Another factor is using the computer vs hand calculated with larger tires. 2”, 33” AT tires, lightly loaded, I“m around 12mpg city and at 65ish lightly loaded 15-16. Above 65 and it goes down pretty quick.

i have noticed on my 08 that mpg goes way down for short city trips when the engine is cold. Another factor is using the computer vs hand calculated with larger tires. 2”, 33” AT tires, lightly loaded, I“m around 12mpg city and at 65ish lightly loaded 15-16. Above 65 and it goes down pretty quick.

Interesting about it being cold. I get it. I feel like im beating a dead horse and not really gonna find the answer im looking for. I wonder also if its people who are buying E tires and slightly thinner vs wider tires and not E rated with lower PSI. Wonder if specific armor has significantly worse air dynamics than others etc. Cause like I said. Ive talked to at least 5 fully armored RTT very heavy GX470 builds who claim they are getting no less than 12MPG at worst (for the entire trip that is) on a trip. And I dont think these people are intellectually dishonest enough to not give us info that they're going 60mph on a 75mph highway. Id assume they are going 65-70mph

At the end of the day I like the GX but I think I might just have to go with a JLU despite not wanting to be in a Jeep. I think I will be able to go 80mph in a JLU and get better MPG than a GX at 65mph by a pretty substantial amount and I think that is pretty significant to think about. I dont live that close to much landscape I want to travel to so I will be consistently driving 200-600mi on tarmac or longer before I'm offroad. I just dont know if I can justify myself to be in a car thats gonna get 12MPG at the very best if I go 75MPH and very likely Ill be more like 10MPG. I like everything about the GX except how much payload I would need to give up to fit decent range. Not to mention driving 65 compared to 80 when y oure talking about 400 miles is pretty significant. Its an over an hour longer...

F350joe

Interesting about it being cold. I get it. I feel like im beating a dead horse and not really gonna find the answer im looking for. I wonder also if its people who are buying E tires and slightly thinner vs wider tires and not E rated with lower PSI. Wonder if specific armor has significantly worse air dynamics than others etc. Cause like I said. Ive talked to at least 5 fully armored RTT very heavy GX470 builds who claim they are getting no less than 12MPG at worst (for the entire trip that is) on a trip. And I dont think these people are intellectually dishonest enough to not give us info that they're going 60mph on a 75mph highway. Id assume they are going 65-70mph

At the end of the day I like the GX but I think I might just have to go with a JLU despite not wanting to be in a Jeep. I think I will be able to go 80mph in a JLU and get better MPG than a GX at 65mph by a pretty substantial amount and I think that is pretty significant to think about. I dont live that close to much landscape I want to travel to so I will be consistently driving 200-600mi on tarmac or longer before I'm offroad. I just dont know if I can justify myself to be in a car thats gonna get 12MPG at the very best if I go 75MPH and very likely Ill be more like 10MPG. I like everything about the GX except how much payload I would need to give up to fit decent range. Not to mention driving 65 compared to 80 when y oure talking about 400 miles is pretty significant. Its an over an hour longer...

Its a trade off for the v8 power and longevity. That 6500lbs tow rating comes at a price. Pre-lift with the skinny 255/80 tires was getting 16-17 on the freeway. From what i have heard is under amour has little affect but bumpers do. Mpg is the big trade off for the GX but otherwise checks a lot of boxes. The jeep will not be as nice a ride at 75 or lomg runs over washboard. E tires last longer, have deeper tread, and are much harder to puncture. You can buy more tires and a little less gas or more gas and less tires. E tires are heavier but can be aired up more For better mpg if you dont mind driving on razor edges. Lexus will also require much less to maintain than a jeep. Few more bucks at the pump of a few more hundred at the shop? Lastly, jeeps are pretty boxy, can they even do 80 into a head wind? I'm don’t think i have ever been passed by a jeep.

Its a trade off for the v8 power and longevity. That 6500lbs tow rating comes at a price. Pre-lift with the skinny 255/80 tires was getting 16-17 on the freeway. From what i have heard is under amour has little affect but bumpers do. Mpg is the big trade off for the GX but otherwise checks a lot of boxes. The jeep will not be as nice a ride at 75 or lomg runs over washboard. E tires last longer, have deeper tread, and are much harder to puncture. You can buy more tires and a little less gas or more gas and less tires. E tires are heavier but can be aired up more For better mpg if you dont mind driving on razor edges. Lexus will also require much less to maintain than a jeep. Few more bucks at the pump of a few more hundred at the shop? Lastly, jeeps are pretty boxy, can they even do 80 into a head wind? I'm don’t think i have ever been passed by a jeep.

Ill find out. Driving my buddies JLU on 35s on Sat for a few hours up to Sequoia area

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'll take worse fuel economy over worse reliability any day. I never see worse than 14-15mpg (I am lifted on 285's) unless I am towing. Towing straight up kills my fuel economy but that's kind of the case on most NA gassers. I still touch 18mpg on the highway from time to time and my general average is 16-17mpg on the highway. Around town 14-15mpg is the norm.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
I am currently in the market for one! Anyone know someone who is selling? What should I be on the lookout for?

Get a 4Runner.

LionZoo

Observer
I'll take worse fuel economy over worse reliability any day. I never see worse than 14-15mpg (I am lifted on 285's) unless I am towing. Towing straight up kills my fuel economy but that's kind of the case on most NA gassers. I still touch 18mpg on the highway from time to time and my general average is 16-17mpg on the highway. Around town 14-15mpg is the norm.

I agree with these numbers as they're basically spot on for what I'm seeing. I'm on 265s, but I have a basket roof rack up top.

I agree with these numbers as they're basically spot on for what I'm seeing. I'm on 265s, but I have a basket roof rack up top.

Just depends on the build out. If someone has no rack, no RTT, no fridge, just a 2" lift and 33" E rated tires and some weekend gear in the back, I doubt doubt at all that one can maintain 14+MPG on the highway all day long. But thats also giving up a ton of comfort and amenities for a trip up to Alaska. No rack, no RTT, no fridge, no armor etc. When youre talking about trips where you might be driving thousands of miles within small periods of time, a good cooking, sleeping, fridge etc IMO are pretty vital if you can afford it. I personally would not want to continually sleep on the ground on that sort of trip. Id want to literally stop ANYWHERE I wanted, in the middle of mud, and just go to bed. Thats the type of rig Im talking about and Im seeing at least 75% of those users claiming 9-11MPG and thats just down right awful

Keep in mind both Tex and I have GX 460s, which are definitely more efficient than GX 470s.

Ah I see. I dont like the460s as much for some reason. Not the outside or inside. I do like the MPG gain it made me consider it. But for 10k, I can beef up the 470 if that really became an issue for me, the payload. I just dont wanna be one of these guys sticking 40k into a car worth 13k KBB just so I can carry 300lbs of fuel lol

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have a full steel front bumper, 9500 lb winch, full size spare, sliders, always a ton of gear, a passenger and three 90lb Dobermans. Adding a rear bumper with swing out and a full rack might have a slight impact (1-2 mpg max), but I am not going to see single digits like you're claiming. I can't help but laugh that you think a brick on wheels (JK/JL) with a 5-speed and mini-van motor is going to be more pleasurable than a 6-speed and a V8 (speaking for the 460 of course).

Seen here towing 1,900lbs with everything listed above and I still saw 13 mpg at 70-75mph.

Nv2S1Bi.jpg

Find a clean lower mile 470, build it and enjoy. You'll spend far less time working on it than a Jeep and more time out enjoying yourself in the great outdoors and let's not forget how much more comfortable the GX will be over any Wrangler as well. I've owned eight different Jeeps, they aren't fun at 80 mph and only slightly more fuel efficient (all dependent on tire/lift size of course). At the end of the day fuel is cheap and readily available.

I have a full steel front bumper, 9500 lb winch, full size spare, sliders, always a ton of gear, a passenger and three 90lb Dobermans. Adding a rear bumper with swing out and a full rack might have a slight impact (1-2 mpg max), but I am not going to see single digits like you're claiming. I can't help but laugh that you think a brick on wheels (JK/JL) with a 5-speed and mini-van motor is going to be more pleasurable than a 6-speed and a V8 (speaking for the 460 of course).

Seen here towing 1,900lbs with everything listed above and I still saw 13 mpg at 70-75mph.

Nv2S1Bi.jpg

Find a clean lower mile 470, build it and enjoy. You'll spend far less time working on it than a Jeep and more time out enjoying yourself in the great outdoors and let's not forget how much more comfortable the GX will be over any Wrangler as well. I've owned eight different Jeeps, they aren't fun at 80 mph and only slightly more fuel efficient (all dependent on tire/lift size of course). At the end of the day fuel is cheap and readily available.

I think in reality I should be shopping for a 460. Im going to go drive on IRL and see if I like it. I think that 1-2mpg that the460 will see over a 470 might be the deal breaker tbh. 11mpg vs 13 or 12 vs 14 is pretty big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues