M1010 expo build. The Mountain Turtle

stevo-mt

Well I got the prototype electric steps built. These are version 1.0. The next ones will come out at a more of an angle and be enclose up into themselves like the ones the pro's build. They seem to work good. I put some expanded metal to make a step right below the door. It makes it easier to access the jerry can's and generator. IMAG0318.jpg IMAG0319.jpg IMAG0321.jpg

I made a quick clip
They hang down a little bit but are still higher than the differential. Fun project at the least.

stevo-mt

IMAG0328.jpgIMAG0329.jpg

I started the fab for the Lagun table for the rear of the camper. I built a bracket that connected with the rails that the truck used to use for a surgeon's seat in the rear. Basically it just has a spring loaded pin to pop into place along the drivers side of the camper. There were about 5 or 6 holes already drilled and spread out so you have that many choices where the table can be set up at. It should work well for eating or typing on a laptop or whatever. I will make a nice table top out of wood and maybe wood burn a cool design into the table top before I coat it with urethane. I'll actually have to go to the hardware store to get some bolts that are long enough that are for a countersunk hole. I ordered an extra mounting plate to put on the outside of the truck somewhere so I can use the lagun table when I want to cook outside.

I also switched everything back on the truck to the SRW hubs and removed the spacers in the back. H1 wheels and tires lessoned learned. They end up costing you the same as buying new toyo MT's from the beginning :(.

stevo-mt

IMAG0333.jpgIMAG0334.jpgIMAG0335.jpgIMAG0336.jpg I got the fridge mounted in. A different area than I originally planned, but after a couple weeks of using it I realized a few things. When I originally was going to install the refrigerator I was planning on having it on one of the sides of the camper but I soon realized that I need to keep the truck versatile. By mounting the fridge high and somewhat out of the way. Originally the area it was going to mount was 26" in depth and so I ordered a fridge to fit semi-close to that. In retrospect a shorter fridge would have worked better. I have a old Norcold that opens the lid on top, but that didn't really fit the truck either. But it's nice to have a larger fridge and they take up space either way. So far I can still utilize the bunk system and move them where I need to depending on what I'm doing on the trip. My friend from AK came on this last one and both of are gear nuts so we had a ton of junk. Rafts, motorcycle, bike gear, etc. I'm going to work on some shelving from the are adjacent to the fridge and recover some of the awkward space and hopefully utilize it better. It's amazing how much space is in there when it's organized well.

I've been re-wiring and insulating my shop so most my days are utilized with other projects. Hopefully I get the camper mostly wrapped up before I head back to AK for the summer.

stevo-mt

I made it back up to Alaska for the summer and had to put the truck in the shop for the summer. But it will be waiting for the fall to get some more time and work on it. After the whole trip through Vail CO to Denver and going 20 mph over the mtn pass in 1st gear it is with out a doubt getting a turbo engine of some sort for sure! So whichever I come accross first. A nice cummins donor truck or a good chevy diesel. I'm not brand loyal at this point. I would keep the 6.2 and install my banks kit, but I was wanting to get an extra gear transmission and the dang transfer case started leaking. The 208's are horrible for venting when the fluid gets too hot and builds up pressure and pops the seal. So I need to either install a vent to fix that or something or just scrap it and go with something else. I figured by the time I swapped all that stuff I am not too far from stealing it out of a donor truck. Now that I have a shop that the truck fits in and is heated either option will work. It will be one of those things where it just falls into my lap hopefully.

The fridge is a Norcold NR0751BB Marine Boat RV & Truck Refrigerator 12V & 24V DC Black. I don't know how much of a fan I'm of it yet. My entire plans and setup have changed as I expected they would. But I think it will work good enough. I'm just in need to get the trim and paint in the back so everything looks clean. I mounted it up high and out of the way to help keep access to it. Handy and convienent. Plus there is a bottle opener mounted next to it. :)

But in the meantime I will just do some dreaming about the truck and go explore via boat and aircraft for the summer. Then hit it hard again in the fall.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Check your passenger side exhaust pipe. I found mine touching the transfercase when I was up under there putting the passenger side auxiliary tank in. Not exactly ideal when your trying to keep the T case cool.

Outback

Explorer
I thought about doing the whole Cummins swap as well. BUT for me I will just stay with the original engine and add the Banks Turbo. It makes a HUGE diffrence and is SO MUCH EASIER and not to mention faster than trying to swap in another brand engine. If you want the ultimate "original" style engine then check out Peninsula. http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?page_id=250

This is the way I want to go eventually.

stevo-mt

After doing some research I think transfer case overheating can be an issue for other people as well like on a HMMWV. The simplest route to solve my problem is going to be a secondary transmission cooler and fabricate some plumbing for a transfer case cooler and just stick in the banks turbo I already have. I'm not sure if its the transmission that is conducting the heat into the transfer case from being under such a load with a 8000 lb vehicle or if it is just the ATF heating up independently. It's been getting pretty hot just in 2wd. There isn't very good venting in the 208. I speculate the heat is building up pressure and blowing the seals. So venting and a cooler of some sort will most likely be on the to do list. I've seen some that others have done so I will probably just mimic what has worked. If I could find an alternative synthetic fluid of some sort like Redline atf I would most likely change that out too. It seems to hold up a bit better than just regular type 3 ATF.

I missed out on craigslist and a guy had a gear vendors for a 208 transfer case too! But not being in the same state makes it a little difficult to buy stuff. Oh well. One nice thing about getting a gear vendors OD will be that I can get a high angle driveline and ditch the slip yoke. That might eliminate 1/2 the problems itself.

Outback

Explorer
I agree that the over heating is definitely killing your seals. Mine too are blown. I confirmed that today. My exhaust pipe is still touching the case as I have not had a chance to correct that problem yet. I dont drive her much so I'm not to worried about it as the damage is done. A NP205 (low Max 3:1) and Gear Vendor will also be in my future. This to me seems to be the absolute most reliable set up. Im sure with the age of our vehicle that the built in trans cooler in the radiator is not as efficient as it was 25 odd years ago. An auxiliary cooler is a must. I will add one as I rebuild my TH400 and add the 205/Gear Vendor. But I hear that I will be needed up in Alaska so work will have to be done during the winter time.

stevo-mt

I found the gear vendors overdrive on craigslist again! This time a few hundred dollars cheaper!!! I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on it. I don't have the disposable income that I used to with my old stressful job. Which is why I bought everything I thought I would need for the truck before I quit and could pay for it... But I get to go on many more adventures now. So well worth it. I'm going to have to make a choice at least for the year. The gear vendors overdrive or an inflatable Zodiac or Achillies with a 15-20hp outboard. I've seen them on craigslist and alaskaslist ranging from 1250-3200$. I just think of all the cool places that I end up at with my truck. Having an inflatable would open all kinds of doors! Well rivers, lakes, and bays really... Half of my job in Alaska is in skiffs out across the rivers and bays in the west so it would only make sense to bring something like that along with me. I've been in some decent seas with a 12 ft achillies inflatable, but we always had a place to go hide at the end of the day. Plus you can feel like a navy seal when you hit the beach! I've seen one guy that had a sweet 2 ton truck camper and there was a zodiac of some sort on the top. I've never traveled across the country or over state lines with a registered boat, so I'm not aware of many of the hassles that come along with the aquatic inspections. It's good habit to wash your truck to keep from spreading weeds and that's kind of the same gig with the boats. I guess it starts to cloud the "Overland" expedition and merge it with over water. But the gear vendors would pay for itself. The logical choice would be to get the truck finished and then work on the next piece next summer. The great thing is I can throw it out there and get input and feedback from others. Zodiac's come and go, but a gear vendor's 3 hours from my shop that is specific to a 208 doesn't come up everyday! Now if I can just figure out how to get it without being in the state. Hmm.

With the end game of a zodiac on top and motorcycle strapped to the back on a rack the circle of life would be complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater