Moby1 owners?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
This has become a big sticking point for me as well. It would be one thing to send in a deposit a month before your trailer comes up in the queue; but putting 50% down without even knowing a firm build date (which seems potentially a year+ away now?) is beyond what I'd be willing to do, especially now with the questions that have been raised. I mean, if they were to close up shop a month from now, that's $20,000 I'd probably never see again. Maybe if the money went into escrow, I'd be willing - maybe - but like you say, there should be no reason why they need the money now. I'm going to talk with them at the expo, and I'll keep an open mind about it, but it's looking more and more like my money will end up going somewhere else. It's a shame - had you asked me a few months back, I'd have told you that one of my main reasons for even going to the expo was to see an XTR and hopefully sign a contract.

That's the requirement, $20k down? Not a snowballs' chance I'd do that with the possible exception of a company with a longgg and exemplary history. There is only one reason some one would require that kind of up front payment with a months away start time (maybe), and holding a place in the line isnt it. Unfortunately it seems to be fairly common among these small businesses that are serving enthusiasts.

If I called up somebody like Bestop to order a top and they told me they wanted 50% down, and they might be able to start making my top in 3 months, that would be the end of the conversation.

Anyway, I said my bit and I want to get out before I ruffle any feathers, so that's it for me.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I ended up going with a SoCal tear drop because it was more doable for my budget. I can't remember what my deposit was but it was only somewhere between 10-20%. Also, SoCal has been around a bit longer so I didn't feel too worried about it.

When I made the order I called them and asked what the turn around time was. I was impressed to hear how SoCal does their builds. The guy told me they have available build slots. They obviously have a good lean manufacturing set up if they can tell me what dates are available and knowing when it should be started on and when I will get my trailer. Kind of works out like Boeing. Customer orders their airplane, has their start date, delivers by a certain due date, done. SoCal had a bit of a waiting period but they penciled me in when they told me what next available slot was. It sounded more reassuring and they had no problem with me checking in at any time.

Of course all places will have their delays. I ended up 3 weeks late on my trailer. Part was my fault for sending the wheels and tires to them a bit last minute and wanting to add a couple options. In the end it wasn't an issue. They made extra cash for the extras I wanted and I wasn't in a hurry with a house remodel and baby on the way. I know Moby has their delays but I think it comes down to a lean manufacturing issue to keep things rolling and on the ball. I may be wrong, maybe there's other issues. It's not really for me to say and for them to figure out themselves. They make a cool product and I hope they can fix whatever issues there may be. They're still fairly new to the industry and things take time. I'm sure they'll be able to work out the kinks.

dozer2

Moby1's Response

In regards to the two trailers that have had leaks, we are resolving the issue with these two customers mentioned and we are very confident that it will be a positive resolution for both parties. As was stated before in this thread, we will stand behind our work and fix problems that may arise. We have many happy customers spread all across the country some who have put over 8000 miles on their trailers in less than a year crisscrossing the country. We believe in our products, we will stand behind it and our craftsmanship. Our own R&D trailer has been all over the west including rainy Pacific Northwest without problems, so it is not a universal problem. Regardless we have engineered a solution for the potential problem.

Yes as was stated by us more than once, our wait times are long, we increase production and sales increase, increase production again and sales increase. As a small business it is the game we have to play keeping up with growth and demand. A long wait does not indicate problems, it is an indicator of demand and output and maintaining that balance. We are upfront about our estimated wait times at the time of order to the best of our ability and we feel the product is worth the wait. Currently our production is running 6-7 days a week, 12-16 hour days. We are always on the lookout for good talent to join our team, we are currently hiring additional staff to assist with our growth and we are outgrowing our current facility and are planning an expansion in the near future.

Many custom products require a large deposit, this is not unusual, if it presents a problem there are alternatives available to you. We don't expect to sell to or fit every buyer or budget, or lifestyle out there. We truly appreciate our interaction with our customers and invite each one to come visit where they can meet us in person and make that personal connection and receive on site one on one training. We look forward to Moby1 owners rallies in the near future and take folks out to share with them what a Moby1 is truly capable of. They will also be able to share their own experiences and how their trailer is individualized. We enjoy sharing customers photos from the California coast to the Pacific Northwest, Moab, Canyonlands Maze district, the Northeast and more.

Looking forward to a great future serving our customers!

montuckygirl

We have had a Moby1 trailer for almost 2 years? Can't remember exact date. We absolutely love ours and have probably 10,000 miles on it, including places like the Maze. There are lots of business types that require some sort of down payment, construction, design work, anything custom made, silly to think that businesses should be expected to start production or services without one. That would be bad business smarts on their part. We have not experienced the leaking and have driven in the rain and have had the trailer parked with inches of melting snow on it.But we have been informed by Moby they have encountered this issue and want to make the design change on ours so that we do not ever experience the leak issue and we will do that the next time we go thru SLC. Our trailer build did take longer than expected to be built but we never doubted that we would get it. Moby1 is a small, young business and I am sure have had a learning curve with trying to grow the business. We have had to have a couple things tweaked and I have nothing but positive things to say about the customer service and attention we have received. I feel that Moby1 definitely stands behind their product and values their customers. Buy something else if you have an issue with the wait or downpayment, but that doesn't mean that there is something wrong with their business or their product.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Well we finally got a chance to see the Moby1 in person at the Expo, and were able to talk with Ashley briefly. I have to say that I like the trailer in general, though there are some drawbacks that have made us decide that it doesn't fit our needs. I do think that they have a handle on what was causing the leaking at the rear hinge, and the solution Ashley described to me seems sound - basically a gutter system like you'd see on a typical SUV hatch. It probably wasn't the best advertisement for them that they didn't have the fix made to their demo trailer and as a result were having to occasionally mop the water off the top of the kitchen shelf, lol. I was also told that they're looking into a new awning design that will provide some better cover for the kitchen area, which would be a big plus. Both of those issues are imo inherent to the basic teardrop design so I actually credit Moby1 for trying to work out a solution. The guys at the Goal Zero tent showed me a new lithium ion battery system they're working on that will be at least initially exclusive to Moby1 - sounded pretty nice.

The big drawback for us was the size - the XTR is big for a teardrop, but it's still a teardrop and so is pretty cozy inside. I also didn't like the height of the kitchen counter in back - it's really high and requires a step stool to use. And of course there's the deal with the big deposit - I understand their justification but I still disagree.

All that aside, the trailer seems well designed, well built, and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying one if it met their needs.

CJ8Dave

Well we finally got a chance to see the Moby1 in person at the Expo, and were able to talk with Ashley briefly. I have to say that I like the trailer in general, though there are some drawbacks that have made us decide that it doesn't fit our needs. I do think that they have a handle on what was causing the leaking at the rear hinge, and the solution Ashley described to me seems sound - basically a gutter system like you'd see on a typical SUV hatch. It probably wasn't the best advertisement for them that they didn't have the fix made to their demo trailer and as a result were having to occasionally mop the water off the top of the kitchen shelf, lol. I was also told that they're looking into a new awning design that will provide some better cover for the kitchen area, which would be a big plus. Both of those issues are imo inherent to the basic teardrop design so I actually credit Moby1 for trying to work out a solution. The guys at the Goal Zero tent showed me a new lithium ion battery system they're working on that will be at least initially exclusive to Moby1 - sounded pretty nice.

The big drawback for us was the size - the XTR is big for a teardrop, but it's still a teardrop and so is pretty cozy inside. I also didn't like the height of the kitchen counter in back - it's really high and requires a step stool to use. And of course there's the deal with the big deposit - I understand their justification but I still disagree.

All that aside, the trailer seems well designed, well built, and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying one if it met their needs.

OCD Overland.... If after determining that Moby1 did not fit your needs, was there another trailer that you liked or DID fit your needs? My wife and I are actively looking. Moby1 is a top contender but curious of other brands caught your attention.

OCD Overland

Explorer
VMI Offroad. Funny thing was that one of the VMI owners who was there went through the same process we did - they wanted a Moby and went to see them at a previous expo, then wound up with the VMI. We're looking at the Alpine, but the Canyon is probably the closest comparison to the Moby XTR. The Canyon is bigger for about the same money and gives you a nice foxwing style awning that wraps around the kitchen. They can also do sides and a floor to the awning if you want. Plus we really liked the convertible bed/dinette that gives you a nice place to sit out of the rain or cold. The Alpine is bigger still, probably too big to be considered a direct competitor to the XTR, but gives you the option of an indoor galley and bath.

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
VMI Offroad. Funny thing was that one of the VMI owners who was there went through the same process we did - they wanted a Moby and went to see them at a previous expo, then wound up with the VMI. We're looking at the Alpine, but the Canyon is probably the closest comparison to the Moby XTR. The Canyon is bigger for about the same money and gives you a nice foxwing style awning that wraps around the kitchen. They can also do sides and a floor to the awning if you want. Plus we really liked the convertible bed/dinette that gives you a nice place to sit out of the rain or cold. The Alpine is bigger still, probably too big to be considered a direct competitor to the XTR, but gives you the option of an indoor galley and bath.
Wow! great link to VMI Offroad Trailers!

CJ8Dave

Yulli... we have looked at the SoCal's (510 XS). My wife likes the price point on that one, but she likes the space of the VMI Canyon and Moby1. Obviously, something will have to change before a decision is made. Thanks for the suggestion.

BlackRubiX

Overlander
Yulli... we have looked at the SoCal's (510 XS). My wife likes the price point on that one, but she likes the space of the VMI Canyon and Moby1. Obviously, something will have to change before a decision is made. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave I have a So-Cal 510 XS on order and was torn between it and the Moby 1. Two things swayed my decision to go with the So-Cal. Price and Lead Time. Fully loaded So-Cal came in way under the Moby and the 10 week lead time compared to the 12 Month lead time for the Moby were huge differences. Also to my knowledge the 510 XS is the same size as the Moby 1 XTR.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti

I haven't looked at the VMI one much, though that does look the biggest. But I have seen a Moby in person and I own a SoCal 459. I felt they were about the same though the Moby is a tad bigger. But I felt the 459 was big enough for me. I think the 510 and the 60" Moby is more comparable than to what I own.

Rick Rockey

Those of you familiar with off-road TD's do you think I'll have any issues pulling So-Cal's 510 XS with my 2013 Jeep JKUR auto. The wife and just today spent 2hrs with Ted at So-Cal and fell in love the 510 XS but by the time I started adding up all the goodies we would like to have I started worrying about the power of the JK to pull it. This mode of travel is new to us as we are coming from motorcycle and airplane camping and that means tent on the ground. I'm to old and to many broken bones to be sleeping on the ground. But still have the need to explore. Any and all information is welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk