My extremely slow 2001 Tundra build thread

trailscape

Explorer
Can you provide more on this? Is it one of the universal sizes and where did you get the PALS panel for it? Been looking for something like this for the same reason.

And here is the net, made be Raingler. I wanted this mainly to prevent anything in the rear from flying forward if I'm in a wreck or a sudden stop. A plus is it allowed some PALS to mount some pockets for small item storage.
Photo%20May%2027%2C%2011%2029%2000.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
Can you provide more on this? Is it one of the universal sizes and where did you get the PALS panel for it? Been looking for something like this for the same reason.

I can't remember the size, but it was custom. All of the work was by Raingler including the pals panel (all sewed as one piece). It ended up working well, but was a little big. I'll look and see if I can find the dimensions, but I would subtract a few inches in height at least. You may not be able to see in the pic but I had to use carabiners to attach the net onto the bottom tie downs as the adjusting straps wouldn't hold enough tension; the net would just flop around, especially with anything attached to it. I used these Disco tie downs by drilling out the holes and mounting them with slightly longer bolts in the rear seat tracks.

rickashay

Explorer
BrianTN: Did you take your rear seat bottoms completely out? I use the back of my Tundra for storage and wanted to take the seat bottoms out but can't figure out how they come apart!? If you've done this and can shed some light that would be awesome!

Your truck is coming along great BTW.

BrianTN

Adventurer
I removed the entire rear seat as one piece. I believe there are 4 bolts at the very bottom once you fold up the seat bottoms, then simply lift upwards then forwards.
IMG_2300.jpg

I do plan on removing the insulation on the rear wall one day. I'll have the interior line-xd in flat black as the carpets were pretty stained when I purchased the truck and it should make cleaning easier.

Just a quick update, I have purchased most of the parts to install a Puma 12v air compressor under the bed along with its 1.5 gallon tank. Over the past week I've wired the switches in the center console for the compressor, rear locker, front/driving lights, and some bed lights. I grabbed some switches from http://otrattw.com and they look great. In the next order from McMaster all of the wiring and air hose fittings will come so that I can finish installing these parts. At the same time I will run air hose to the front and rear bumpers for air tool use, run wire to a 12v outlet at the rear bumper, and wire to the LED strip in my UWS toolbox. Unfortunately I still can't find a place nearby to bend the tubes for my "can back."

BrianTN

Adventurer
Here are the switches:
IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

Wiring for the switches:
IMG_4115.JPG

Hella's harness for the eventual Hella 4000 lights:
IMG_4092.JPG

Gauge pod for the air pressure gauge for the on board air:
IMG_4132.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
To wrap up things, I'm going to finish the on board air with an air port on each bumper, run wire to the rear bumper for a 12 outlet, run LED lights under the bed rails, hook up the LED strip in my toolbox, run some LED strips on the underside of the hood, and install the harness for 2 Hella 4000 lights. After all of this I plan on getting a rear air locker and the Hella lights. Eventually I plan on Line xing the interior as well as the bed, installing a fridge on a slide, and skid plates. Maybe I will plate the front bumper and buy a tube bender to finish the "can back" as well as build my own rear bumper.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Just purchased a Rogue tube bender with their cyber monday discount (1/2 off of shipping). Not a huge savings, but $50 less isn't too bad. Hopefully soon I will finish the "can back" and build a rear bumper. I should learn to start and finish a project at a time. :coffeedrink:

BrianTN

Adventurer
I've been busy with work but every now and then I finish something. Today I wrapped up running the 6 AWG wires for the compressor, 10 AWG to the rear bumper for a 12v outlet, 10 AWG to the front right bed corner for lights in the bed, 14 AWG for a light in the toolbox. I worked on placing the compressor and tank but couldn't finish as it started to rain. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish that and run the air hose.

Setup a place for relays to the lights, etc:
IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4215.JPG

Fuse block:
IMG_4255.jpg

Light in the toolbox:
IMG_4250.JPG

Wires from the console switches out to the relays:
IMG_4186.JPG

Here is the Rogue bender:
IMG_4258.JPG

BrianTN

Adventurer
Just curious...do you know what the back seat weighed in at?

Maybe 50 lbs? It was light enough I could remove it myself. The only problem carrying it by myself was the length and removing if from the truck. Carrying it to the garage from the truck was no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77