OldSven's 4Runner

RusM

Adventurer
You didn't! Ohh well, at least I've still got a junk yard axle up my sleeve. I am guessing they want ($450) a little more than the craigslist guy, but if the axle codes are correct they have 4.56's in them. :pROFSheriffHL:

OldSven

Explorer
Got a FREE 1st gen roll bar from a friend and got it installed last night. Now I know why the old runners had removable roof's, so you could get the roll bar out:mad:

Cut the front mounts off, cut 2" off of the front mounts then re-welded the plates back on, paint and bolt it in. Don't ask me how I got it to go in there because I don't remember. Mounted my old quick fist to it for the axe and shovel, also the co2 and fire extinguisher.

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Sven this 4Runner ... It's amazing!!! I LOVED your old Truck and was sad to see you have to sell it, but man...I'm loving how quickly this truck's coming together!!! The BadLands Bumper is making me definately want one now. And I love the factory roll bar in my 1st Gen for the exact same thing. I've always thought it was cool how guy's figured out how to mod them into the back of newer trucks. Another nice thing I like them for is hanging a lamp off of so when we sleep in the back of the truck I always have lgiht. The head-lamps gp on the headrests of the front seats and our Gerber battery powered "Lantern" (thankfully mine's not Camo)
2009-m-Brunton_Lantern.jpg

GerberBladesBalefireCamoLanternLED22-80123.jpg

hangs right on the bar (with a simple little loop of thin accessory cord) and makes getting up in the middle of the night easier ;) Seeing your build reminds me that as soon as I'm good enough to climb around in the back of the truck and lift things, I need to re-organize the stuff/get my Hi-Lift mounted back there ala Roger Brown/4Crawler:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/HiLiftMount.shtml
(right now I have a 'falling' axe and a "redundant" folding military trenching shovel that I converted to a longer-shafted D-handle - It's redundant because I have the shovel on the basket rack but hey, 2 shovels means 2 people can dig eh ;) )

...Then re-gear, and finish building my rear-drawer system. Then then then

Like I said before I started this rambling post, the trucks coming along very nicely and, to me, at lightning pace :D . I love those 3rd Gen's and I 'm extra jealous that you've got a 3.4 w/the 5spd... Great combo, great 4Runner mate.

Edit Question: Is it just the pic or is the back left passenger seat rooted??? It looks bent like it's been pulled back and had the frame bent. Or is it just the pic/optical illussion??? If it IS bent this certainly a great time to yank the 4th seat and install the fridge there.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

OldSven

Explorer
I see what you mean, but yeah it is just the angle of the picture. I hate having stuff clanking around or haveing to stuff things behind other things to keep them in place. The roll bar is nice because it keeps the same open space down the middle for hauling stuff but utalizes all that empty room by the windows.

Next deal will be some hub-centric spacers to replace the ones I just sold. Then build a new beefier swingout, and off to the front for a winch and lighting. Stay tuned:coffee:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Sven this 4Runner ... It's amazing!!! I LOVED your old Truck and was sad to see you have to sell it, but man...I'm loving how quickly this truck's coming together!!! The BadLands Bumper is making me definately want one now. And I love the factory roll bar in my 1st Gen for the exact same thing. I've always thought it was cool how guy's figured out how to mod them into the back of newer trucks. Another nice thing I like them for is hanging a lamp off of so when we sleep in the back of the truck I always have lgiht. The head-lamps gp on the headrests of the front seats and our Gerber battery powered "Lantern" (thankfully mine's not Camo)
2009-m-Brunton_Lantern.jpg

GerberBladesBalefireCamoLanternLED22-80123.jpg

hangs right on the bar (with a simple little loop of thin accessory cord) and makes getting up in the middle of the night easier ;) Seeing your build reminds me that as soon as I'm good enough to climb around in the back of the truck and lift things, I need to re-organize the stuff/get my Hi-Lift mounted back there ala Roger Brown/4Crawler:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/HiLiftMount.shtml
(right now I have a 'falling' axe and a "redundant" folding military trenching shovel that I converted to a longer-shafted D-handle - It's redundant because I have the shovel on the basket rack but hey, 2 shovels means 2 people can dig eh ;) )

...Then re-gear, and finish building my rear-drawer system. Then then then

Like I said before I started this rambling post, the trucks coming along very nicely and, to me, at lightning pace :D . I love those 3rd Gen's and I 'm extra jealous that you've got a 3.4 w/the 5spd... Great combo, great 4Runner mate.

Edit Question: Is it just the pic or is the back left passenger seat rooted??? It looks bent like it's been pulled back and had the frame bent. Or is it just the pic/optical illussion??? If it IS bent this certainly a great time to yank the 4th seat and install the fridge there.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry for the Hijack but I use 2 of these lights in my OZtent one in the tent one in the front porch. They are great and last a lot of nights on the batteries! We had a rare power outage the other night for about 4 hours. Went into the garage poped out the Brunton's and we sat around playing cards. Good lights.

OldSven

Explorer
Just got my early Christmas present from the wife, a SmittyBilt XRC 10k Comp winch. Got it today and got it installed. Fit like a champ and didn't even have to cut the grill for mounting anything. Found out from Smitty that thier winches are built by T-max so besides a slighty smaller motor it is the same. I free spools unlike my old MileMarker 9500 and although I haven't used it yet it has a pretty fast line speed so only time will tell. I will keep ya posted on how it does with winter kicking in and the snow about to start flyin...

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
looks great! my old tmax was great, but it got stolen with my truck. and i found a m8000replacement for dirt cheap

Applejack

Explorer
I have been quite pleased with my Smittybilt XRC8. Not as good as yours, but for the price it really couldn't be beat. My line speed is a little on the slow side but I think the newer versions have a higher hp rating and less gear reduction.
enjoy!

Did it come with the synth rope or was that a separate purchase?

OldSven

Explorer
I have been quite pleased with my Smittybilt XRC8. Not as good as yours, but for the price it really couldn't be beat. My line speed is a little on the slow side but I think the newer versions have a higher hp rating and less gear reduction.
enjoy!

Did it come with the synth rope or was that a separate purchase?

It came with it. It is the XRC 10k Comp, which just means that it has synthetic rope, and aluminum hawse.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
looking great man, looks like i havent logged in to this forum in almost a year, sad :( got your pm, lockrite has been out of it for a long time, arb right now

turtle8173

I just found out about this forum and have been reading about your build. I have an '02 w/ 2.5"-3" OME suspention. My rear always sags. I stopped by Slee to ask questions about the LC80 springs. They have a bunch but he said there was a left and a right spring. Which side did you use or is he giving me a line of bull to get me to by stiffer OME springs for 3-4 times the price? Love your rig. Mine's been a slow 3 year build and still going. One toy a year.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I just found out about this forum and have been reading about your build. I have an '02 w/ 2.5"-3" OME suspention. My rear always sags. I stopped by Slee to ask questions about the LC80 springs. They have a bunch but he said there was a left and a right spring. Which side did you use or is he giving me a line of bull to get me to by stiffer OME springs for 3-4 times the price? Love your rig. Mine's been a slow 3 year build and still going. One toy a year.
My rear always sags too! But then I'm 62.:sombrero:

OldSven

Explorer

I got my LC80 coils from someone on yotatech I think, and when they got here I remember standing them up next to one another and one will be a little taller that is the one you want on the driver side since it will be carrying the gas tank. The LC80 coils have been great so far, I can load the rig down and then hook up the trailer and I'm just a smidge under level. The only downside is they are very tall so the truck with a big tool box, spare, and custom rear bumper (now minus the swingout) does sit kind of raked. Kind of give and take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven