Green96D1

Explorer
now heres where it got a little scary haha

web4.jpg

Last edited:

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Driveway pic

I'm going to be the only one excited by this driveway shot, but I just got my 110 back last weekend after it was off the road for 20 months.

It's good to have my old friend back home again, and I'm looking forward to more adventures. When I wrecked the engine I had a 3 month old baby. Now I have a 2 year old toddler, and a two month old baby, so the nature of the trips we take has changed between then and now!

- Andrew.

Attachments

• P1010192.jpg
    P1010192.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 111

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Hey Andrew, good to see you got it fixed. I heard about what happened, that was at the OVLR birthday party right? I missed that one, but I was at the party last year. Did you add the snorkel since then? I've also got 2 young ones and can appreciate how long projects take! Your 2 year old should be good to go, in a proper seat. I brought mine out at 2. Join us in the Family sub-forum of Expo.

nice rig, curious, how did you trash the engine?

It was water injestion.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
congrats on the kiddies!

how are you sleeping :)

nice rig, curious, how did you trash the engine?

Regarding sleeping, I'm happy to say that both of our kids are great sleepers. Our baby usually sleeps non-stop from around 20:00-07:00. Lucky us.

As to how I damaged the engine, see photo. It was due to a moment of unbridled stupidity, compounded by some very bad luck. I'm normally a very careful driver, espousing the "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary" approach. However, I occasionally go momentarily insane and do something stupid, and this was an example. I decided to make a nice splash for a photo. Well, I got the photo. This happened during the Ottawa Valley Land Rover (OVLR) birthday party in 2008.

As you can see, the water is not particularly deep at all. I'd certainly been through deeper. However, as it turns out I'd lost the nipple from the bottom of my air intake, and the water just happened to splash up into my engine compartment the wrong way. I didn't have the raised air intake on at the time. That addition was a case of shutting the stable door before the horse bolts again.

Since then, I've added the snorkel, put in a new crankshaft, pistons, conrods, some valve rollers & bearings (don't remember exactly what any more), welded a crack in the head, and rebuilt the transmission. While it was apart anyway I also added a stainless exhaust, welded a rust hole in the footwell, and had some rewiring done.

My friends and I attempted a first fix of the engine, but that involved only a new conrod and some other changes. Other than the learning experience (I'd never taken apart an engine), that ended up being a waste of time and money so when it was clear that was insufficient, I paid a professional to do it.

Attachments

• DSCF0078.JPG
    DSCF0078.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Oh man, that sucks. FWIW, I have the same kind of luck. The one time I go out on a limb and do things a little risky is the one time Murphy will ******** on my head.

OneTen

Observer
Nice to see you have the 110 back on the road Andrew. And just in time for the OVLR Birthday Party again in June.:smiley_drive:

Brett

I'm going to be the only one excited by this driveway shot, but I just got my 110 back last weekend after it was off the road for 20 months.

It's good to have my old friend back home again, and I'm looking forward to more adventures. When I wrecked the engine I had a 3 month old baby. Now I have a 2 year old toddler, and a two month old baby, so the nature of the trips we take has changed between then and now!

- Andrew.

RETROFIT

Observer
Great !!! Now we have to meet !

Hey Andrew, really happy your rig is serviceable and I know the feeling of having the truck around and then loosing it for a long period of time (2.5 years in my case). But I will agree its the least one can do for the family. And now you will all get to enjoy the fruits of this long labor !

I will try again this year to make it to the OVLR party and hopefully get to meet everyone.

Congratulation on the expanding family, your patience is paying off and great work ! Enjoy !

Pat

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Greetings from Montrose, CO. My 97 D1 in Moab area.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 133

Forum statistics

Threads