Quietest tire load range E?

Haraald

Observer
Anyone have any experience comparing the noise level on load range E tires? I want the quietest one possible, highway only. It seems like most of them are made for a mix of terrains, so none are optimized just for pavement.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
A lot depends on tread pattern. MTs are usually noisier than ATs or HTs. I have Toyo AT-2s on two trucks and Nitto Terra Grapplers on another, all LR-E. They are all acceptably quiet, and the Toyos are surprisingly quiet for what they are. I had Toyo 35" MTs on one of the trucks and they were noisier than the AT-2s in the same size on the same truck, but not objectionably so. With the MTs at low speed on pavement, I could hear the tread lugs if I had the windows down, but at highway speeds they were as quiet as my old LR-D AT tires.

so none are optimized just for pavement.
Some are. Toyo HT is available in LR-E in selected sizes.
https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-ht-highway-all-season-tires

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have run GoodYear Wrangler HT's in size 245/75-R16 for years on several E350's. The are very quiet, ride well and I get 40K miles plus out of a set.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nitto Duragrapplers. Super quiet,long lasting and strong.
They are stupid strong with thick sidewalls but reportedly ride real nice.

Last edited:

JakeH

Adventurer
Being a Yokohama fan & just because no one else has mentioned it yet...I'll throw out the new Yokohama YK HTX as a great alternative to the Michelin LTX. Very similar sipe tire for road use & getting great reviews.In an AT, the geolandar is the quietest I've ever had. They're ridiculously quiet on the highway

Haraald

Observer
Thanks guys, I was looking more for relative comparisons though, not just individual experiences. The majority of tire reviews are people switching from stock or switching between AT/HT etc for the first time so they're not really that useful in finding which tire is objectively the quietest.

It sounds like Nitto Dura grappler are specifically advertised for being quiet; the Michelins are too but I'd say 25% of the reviews for them I find people complain about vibration and the tire not being round. For some reason the Nitto doesn't have those complaints so I guess I'll go with them.

thethePete

Explorer
I'm not sure what you're saying? You want us to tell you that x tire is quieter than y tire?

If you want a highway tire, and don't care about off-highway performance, Michelin LTX is one of the quietest highway tires out there, it also rides great because it's got a fairly pliable carcass. Michelin is famous for their super soft sidewalls. It is also acceptable offroad, as far as FSRs. It is not however, an AT or MT tire. It's acceptable in the winter, but no replacement for a proper winter tire. They are the OE tire on several vehicles for a reason. You have to remember, people will take the time to complain on the internet, they won't often take the time to say how great they are. And often the fussiest people are the loudest, so take some of those reviews with a grain of salt.

Any tire specifically marketed as a highway tire is going to be so close in noise level as to be negligible. Also, percieved noise is subjective. A drone that drives someone bonkers may be something you might not even hear. Or vise versa. So unless someone on here has spent the time and money to buy several sets of HT tires and placed a dB meter in their cabin; and their cabin is the same as yours, anything you get is going to be subjective opinion anyway.

Haraald

Observer
Thanks Pete. I reckon you're right about all that... if I do go with Michelin LTX, is the pliability and soft sidewall you mention opposite of dura grappler's claim of being stiff and sturdy? I know nothing about tires and I'm so overwhelmed with other modification who-haw I really don't have time to research

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven