*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

TrucMan

Adventurer
Yup that's an Icon FJ! Pretty rare, Jonathan Ward makes good stuff! Those are some great pictures, looks like it was a sweet trip!

Sent from my iPhone using paper airplanes.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Sorry if i missed it, but what length are the original springs for the Fox coilovers?

I was under the impression that the first gen Tundra's used the same or very similar shock as the 95-04 Taco's.

I talked to King about running a longer spring to keep my spring rate, but increase ride height without crazy pre-load, and they told me not to do it.

The Kings i have come with a 14" spring, vs 13" on Icon and Fox.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Sorry if i missed it, but what length are the original springs for the Fox coilovers?

I was under the impression that the first gen Tundra's used the same or very similar shock as the 95-04 Taco's.

I talked to King about running a longer spring to keep my spring rate, but increase ride height without crazy pre-load, and they told me not to do it.

The Kings i have come with a 14" spring, vs 13" on Icon and Fox.

My fox 2.5 comes with 16" springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Ah, sounds like Fox uses a unique first gen Tundra setup. I think King uses an almost identical coilover.

What length travel are they? My Kings are like 4.5"ish

Spring travel or coilover travel?
I was looking at kings but the 14" spring seems to be an old design and 16" will become more common.

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

Received my 6" Archive Garage Shackles last week and got around to installing them tonight. Fairly straight forward putting them in, especially after doing the SFK install. Took me 2 hours and half of that was messing around with some fender trim for my cut bedsides and I removed the shocks so I could measure the before/after difference in droop with the shocks taken out of the equation.

Top of rim to fender edge (before): 14-5/8"
Top of rim to fender edge (after): 15-5/8"

This measurement will come down some as I have not yet driven the truck to get the rear leafs settled again. I expect to be around 0.75" taller with the 6" shackles than the factory 4" ones.

Droop:

Top of bumpstop to strike plate with shocks removed and leafs fully extended (before): 7-1/2"

IMG_7274.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Top of bumpstop to strike plate with shocks removed and leafs fully extended (after): 9-3/4"

IMG_7275.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Droop gain (without rear shocks): 2-1/4"

With the Fox 10" shocks I will say that it doesn't get much better in terms of useable travel.
- I have factory bumpstops that sit 1/2" higher than stock due to the thickness of my U-bolt flip kit that my factory bumpstops are welded to.
- The 10" Fox's bolt right in place of the factory shocks
- With the leafs at full droop I had to compress the Fox's literally less than 1/2" to get them to pop back into their lower mounting holes. That means the shocks have more extension than the leafs by a very small amount (which is how it should be so the shocks to not act as limiting straps for the axle). I am basically getting just under 10" of travel measured at the bumpstop
- Travel measured at the wheel will be significantly larger than the travel measured at the bumpstop due to the increase in lever arm length. Will need to find a good ramp to measure travel at the wheel now.

VERY impressed with Eric's shackles and SFK as a whole package. Excellent attention to detail in the shackles with the little stainless Archive Garage emblem too! Still need to log some hours with the new shackles but the travel numbers alone have me sold and the truck is sitting exactly where I want in terms of rear height.

Shackle angle at full droop ( I expect to squeeze a little more out of it once it's on a ramp and not just drooped out in the garage):

IMG_7276.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice. Gonna be doing the SFK once they are released. Looks very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven