*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
Alright Addison, you've sold me. You need to show me where that is next time I go up to Canada.

Hahah you wouldn't believe how many people have asked for the location so far. To be honest we (myself and the other members who attended) had discussed disclosing the exact locations, but it really isn't good common practice, especially in today's day and age with the internet making the world such a small place. Similar arguments to why a lot of people wont/dont post their .GPX tracks publicly, we have purposefully given vague details on the location. Anyone can go there but we just want to encourage people to find their own adventures and destinations, while keeping the people who ruin it for us all as far away from these places as possible.... Whipsaw being a PRIME example of this as Monte can attest to on his recent trip out there.

Now that being said, if your willing to make the trek up here and we can plan something out, I'd gladly be your host and take you up there. It may just need to remain a unicorn until that time. So when are you coming? lol

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Hahah you wouldn't believe how many people have asked for the location so far. To be honest we (myself and the other members who attended) had discussed disclosing the exact locations, but it really isn't good common practice, especially in today's day and age with the internet making the world such a small place. Similar arguments to why a lot of people wont/dont post their .GPX tracks publicly, we have purposefully given vague details on the location. Anyone can go there but we just want to encourage people to find their own adventures and destinations, while keeping the people who ruin it for us all as far away from these places as possible.... Whipsaw being a PRIME example of this as Monte can attest to on his recent trip out there.

Now that being said, if your willing to make the trek up here and we can plan something out, I'd gladly be your host and take you up there. It may just need to remain a unicorn until that time. So when are you coming? lol

No worries. I get that. Yea Whipsaw was...terrible..depressing.

I'll be there tomorrow :p

No but i think i will be planning another trip up through CA and into AK. So could happen in about a year or two. Not sure yet. Will want to meet up at some point either way!

rickashay

Explorer
No worries. I get that. Yea Whipsaw was...terrible..depressing.

I'll be there tomorrow :p

No but i think i will be planning another trip up through CA and into AK. So could happen in about a year or two. Not sure yet. Will want to meet up at some point either way!

Sounds good. Always welcome!

Wow! That's in the crowsnest somewhere but I don't have a clue where.

Beautiful pictures!!!!

Close, but not quite... haha

Just wanted to post these pics here:

IMG_5481.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_5485.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Still some fine tuning with the suspension but I am very happy with the amount of flex in the front. 1.5" out of my fenders was perfect as in this photo my front bumpstops are fully compressed and there is zero tire rub on the fender now. The rear has dramatically imporved with the longer rear shocks. I need to find a good urban ramp and try to fully droop the rears out and see where I am at. Still planning on Chevy's or a shackle flip back there at minimum but it will have to wait until the spring. I'll post up more info once my discussions with Fox have concluded to see if I am going with a 700lb front coil.

seanpistol

Explorer
The fully stuffed front tire is nice to see! And that droop in the rear is significantly better than what I have... I'll have to look back in your thread and see how long of a shock you're running.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Interested in the findings from fox re; spring length and rate.

The Kings on my reg cab 4cyl Tacoma have 600# springs, and if your truck has 650... I'm waaaayyy oversprung. However, I don't want to obtain ride height via tons of pre-load. I've been thinking longer softer springs as well.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Hey Addison,

Whats the PN of the rear shock you used? Did it come with the correct bottom and top mounts or did you order the convsion kits? Do you have the Extended, Colasped and Travel #'s from Fox or did ya just kinda wing it?

rickashay

Explorer
Interested in the findings from fox re; spring length and rate.

The Kings on my reg cab 4cyl Tacoma have 600# springs, and if your truck has 650... I'm waaaayyy oversprung. However, I don't want to obtain ride height via tons of pre-load. I've been thinking longer softer springs as well.

sean_pistal just got the same coilovers as me and had Fox spec out a 16" 700lb coil for his setup, which he bought off of Polyperformance I think? (he will have to confirm). He had a front bumper and winch which I do not but I am curiously awaiting his feedback on the ride of his new setup with the stiffer coils. I'm still on the 650's as I won't really need ot consider stepping up until I get my bumper and winch done.

Hey Addison,

Whats the PN of the rear shock you used? Did it come with the correct bottom and top mounts or did you order the convsion kits? Do you have the Extended, Colasped and Travel #'s from Fox or did ya just kinda wing it?

Just dug out my receipt....

Fox P/N: 985-24-009
Extended Length: 26.15"
Compressed Length: 16.05"

http://www.polyperformance.com/Fox-...-Smooth-Body-Universal-Stem-Top-Eyelet-Shocks

FWIW the Fox "spec" rear IFP lift shock for the Tundra is P/n: 980-24-674 and is for a "1-inch rear lift".
Extended Length: 22.45"
Compressed Length: 14.35"

I still haven't found a ramp large enough to make me lift the rear tire to fully see how much of the new droop I am using. However, given the numbers above I have the potential to droop 3.7" more over the Fox spec shock. (Assuming shocks are the limiting factor, which I have yet to prove). No brainer in my opinion. The only difference will be on 33's you could re-configure your bumpstops to allow for more bump travel on the shorter Fox's. With my setup I can't change the bumpstops as they are literally in the perfect place.

UPDATE

Forgot to upload these pics of my "gingerfab" lightbar. Pretty simple but a good early project with my first welder. Still wobbles a little but definitely way better than before and it could be beefed up by adding a couple gussets.

IMG_5400.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_5399.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Last edited:

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Thanks for the info about the Fox shocks. I was looking at using the 2007+ shock, PN 980-24-674 (Extended length: 24.65 in. Compressed length: 15.55 in. Shock travel: 9.1 in) but the PN you gave has some specs that will bode with my 1.5 lift in the rear a bit better. Almost a inch more travel.... I'll take it.

985-24-009 - Says it has a "Universal Stem Mount" , works well for the top, but the eyelet on the bottom, was the ID of the bushing good for the bolt size? Fox specs the first gen's as a ES4 (ES4: Sleeve: Ø 0.482 ID X Ø 0.625 OD X 1.545 TLG and the 009 is a .500ID x 1.375. So, talking .018 in and length off by about .17in

^^^ after writing that out.... does not seem THAT significant, but thought I"d get your two cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven