RotopaX Gas Can Mounting Pictures (please)

Radiation

Hollywood,

I am sold on the RotopaX...I just need them on sale. I am having a hard time choking down the price. I want two 4 gallon packs.

Post purchase, truthfully, how do you feel about dropping that many bills for the paxs? Assuming your not just made of money and can have whatever you want. If I choose to buy the pax, I keeps me from buying other stuff...limited funds you know.

So, worth every penny, or...no?

Maybe worth someone trying to get a group buy?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Found a promo code. Don't want to publish but if you google "rotopax promo code", scroll down and you'll find the link to ATVrider.
Saves about $8 on a 3 gallon can.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Not the greatest picture but you get the idea. Rotopax are great, the locks don't do so well in the dust and dirt. Tough to get the key to work after miles of muddy roads but that would be down to location. Mine of course are on the side and get filled with dirt.

We found the same results, and typically recomend our customers to get the DLX mount.

Some great mounting solutions on here.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
an old pic

rotopaxmount1.jpg

Hollywood,

Post purchase, truthfully, how do you feel about dropping that many bills for the paxs? Assuming your not just made of money and can have whatever you want. If I choose to buy the pax, I keeps me from buying other stuff...limited funds you know.

So, worth every penny, or...no?

I've used them more this summer than I ever did my Jerry cans or wal mart cans. But mine were tax write offs for the Powerwashing business, so it helped swallow the price:ylsmoke:

SmoothLC

Explorer
RotopaX on Front Runner Rack

^^wow! How did I miss that.

They're having a Cyber Monday sale - 25% off all products site wide and/or free shipping.

Here's a few poser pics of a Rotopax on top of a Front Runner Wind Cheetah rack.

UZJ100-3.jpg

UZJ100-4.jpg

UZJ100-5.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Simple, cheapo mount...

I had been looking for a safe and secure way to store extra fuel on my 3rd gen 4runner for a while and finally settled on 2 3-gallon Rotopax cans. That 6 gallons bumped my fuel supply from an inadequate 18.5 gallons to a respectable 24.5.

As for mounting, I had an old Yakima rack and "basket case" roof basket that I bought 20 years ago. All I had to do was find a set of "landing pads" and "control towers" to attach the Yakima load bars to the factory rails.

The cans were mounted flat on the basket, side by side, secured with a ratchet strap that runs through the center hold of the Rotopax and then cinched down tight, with a piece of cardboard to prevent the ratchet strap buckle from wearing thorugh the plastic.

You can see them mounted here, just before I left for Moab:

2012_0417_071939AA.jpg

Here's another shot from the rear.

2012_0422_065053AA.jpg

I don't have any close-up photos available, but it was a pretty simple mount, I just ratcheted them tight and they didn't move. Not only that, they didn't leak even a drop, despite the temperatures that fluctuated from lows in the 40's to highs in the 80s or 90's.

I did find the "California" spouts to be a total PITA. I'm hoping to get simpler spouts that don't have the "auto shut off" feature that these CARB compliant spouts do.

Overall I was very impressed with the Rotopax cans. expensive, yes, but if you need to carry gas safely in rugged conditions, this is the way to go. A "blitz" can would not have fared well under these circumstances, I'm afraid.

williard86

Observer
Anyone ever mount a rotopax to a hitch carrier basket? I've got a 2 dr Jeep and there are no great options without a roof rack or a tire carrier.

H0LLYW00D

Observer
I don't see why you can't, I mounted mine to the side of a bed rack and they are secure, I would think a carrier basket should be no different.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I would imagine one of their L-Bracket mounts could be easily mounted to a hitch carrier basket to position the cans between the vehicle and the hitch carrier.
RX-1W-PM-LDL-D2.jpg

I do not think you would want to mount the cans themselves underneath the carrier or outside the side rails on the sides or rear of a hitch carrier just for the sake of protecting the cans.

williard86

Observer
I would imagine one of their L-Bracket mounts could be easily mounted to a hitch carrier basket to position the cans between the vehicle and the hitch carrier.
RX-1W-PM-LDL-D2.jpg

I do not think you would want to mount the cans themselves underneath the carrier or outside the side rails on the sides or rear of a hitch carrier just for the sake of protecting the cans.

Something like that might work. The carrier I have is raised about 4-6 inches so it doesn't drag very often.
I wonder if a couple u-bolts would work to secure the L bracket to the side rails. Here is a stock picture of my carrier. Anybody have a good idea? I usually have a storage tote or ice chest on there with the fuel.

419drdpXHpL._SS500_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3