Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on an idea for a locking strap to secure jerry, NATO and Sceptre cans. My goal was to come up with one strap that would work with all types of cans that would be locking and secure, and adjustable so the can could be snugged down tight enough to eliminate can movement or rattles. I also wanted the strap to be flexible to deal with the different can shapes, particularly the rounder shape of the Sceptre cans.

Today I made up a prototype, here are a few photos showing it with jerry and NATO cans. Unfortunately I don't have a Sceptre can here to try it with.

LockingStrap1a_zpsnhde2v3c.jpg

The tray hooks at the bottom ends of the strap swivel, so the strap can be used either to secure only the can (left photo), or it can be angled to also secure the cap (middle). NATO cans have caps on the ends of a spout so they can't easily be secured that way.

Adjustments are done by means of the adjustable latch (3/4" range), and the removeable-link chain (1.5" each link). The math works out to basically infinite adjustment - if the adjustment on the latch isn't enough, remove or add one or more links and start with the other end of the range of the latch adjustment.

The strap is all metal, so it's pretty secure. Here's a photo of the strap on the workbench; a few extra links are in the photo as well. BTW it takes one more link to go over the jerry can cap than it does to go through the handle.

LockingStrap1b_zpswbkvq78m.jpg

One more refinement is to encase the link portion in a flexible plastic sleeve so the links don't scratch metal cans:

LockingStrap1c_zps5c4rm9um.jpg

The retail cost of buying the materials to make this prototype was less than $10. This is a proof-of-concept prototype, so there are a few refinements I'd add, but it definitely meets the requirements I defined for it. I have no idea if this would make sense as a commercial product, I just designed and built this one because it was an interesting design challenge and I wanted straps like this for my own use.

Jakes01234

Explorer
As I was cutting off my motorcycle chain last week I thought of using it as a tie down for the cans to prevent theft.
I will have to keep an eye on this.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I finished up the universal adjustable/locking gas can straps I started making a week or so ago.

LockingStrapsDone2_zpsvznp0v5v.jpg

I'm really happy with how the straps work; the removable chain links provide a lot of adjustment, and the latch provides fine adjustment to snug the cans down tight to prevent any movement or rattling. They adjust fine for jerry and NATO cans as shown in the photo; for the jerry can I looped the strap around the cap to prevent that from being opened. Also in the photo above, I've used a short piece of Velcro One-Wrap around the lock, which prevents it from rattling as well. The jerry can took one more link in the chain than did the NATO can.

Here's a closer look at them; there's a waterproof PVC-coated polyester canvas sleeve that goes over the chain part which prevents the chain from scratching the can and provides a degree of weather protection for the chain. To make it easy to add or remove links, I put a zipper in the sleeve so it's easy to zip on or off for access to the links. The hooks at each end of the strap swivel so the strap and be used at an angle like with the jerry can above or vertically like with the NATO can.

LockingStrapsDone1_zpsuwz6xtdl.jpg

I'll use these whenever I feel I need extra security for the cans, other times I'll use the ratchet straps that come with the can carriers, they work great too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any update on the JK side-mounts, Jscherb?

I spoke with the company on Tuesday, they said they had already run some samples through production to test the production process and the fit of their parts, and yesterday they sent me their engineering drawings for me to review. Sound like they're on a fast track to make them available by mid-summer.

bluehash

Adventurer
I spoke with the company on Tuesday, they said they had already run some samples through production to test the production process and the fit of their parts, and yesterday they sent me their engineering drawings for me to review. Sound like they're on a fast track to make them available by mid-summer.

Hi Jscherb..I know you are busy with the Safari cab, but how is this one doing? I have some funds to spare.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jscherb..I know you are busy with the Safari cab, but how is this one doing? I have some funds to spare.

I met with them two weeks ago and reviewed their preproduction samples. The parts look really nice! They said the JK Side Mounts will be available in July, so any week now. Friday they sent me their proposed pricing for the JK side mounts and a couple of my other designs they're working on and the pricing looks pretty good.

A couple of my other designs that they're doing are the hinge-mount Rotopax carrier (photo below) and the hinge-mount HiLift carrier (not pictured):

JKHingeRotopax2_zpsznannetc.jpg

BTW they're also doing the universal can tray for the TJ side mount, which holds jerry/NATO/Scepter cans OR Rotopax containers, that'll be available in July too. This photo shows my prototype for that tray...

TJSideMountUniversal4_zpsxukfvcsu.jpg

They said all of the above should be available in July, so shouldn't be long now.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Awesome news! Will they be selling it through XT?

The company hasn't started taking orders for these new products from any retailers just yet, but hopefully they'll will be one of the retailers that signs up for all of the new products.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yesterday I got samples of the JK side mount jerry can/Rotopax and tailgate hinge mount Rotopax carriers from the company for testing. Got them installed this morning; they did a great job turning my designs/prototypes into production products. Here are a couple of photos from this morning's install. Product release is imminent.

SideMountJerry_zpsl8tiimci.jpg

Also added a CB antenna mounting hole to the tailgate Rotopax mount.

HingeMountRotopax2Gallon_zpsh0eiowas.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal