Start of my EXPO shell build

KEENO

Adventurer
Hey Nick...

Years ago I screwed a piece of furnature grade Birch Plywood to the inside of my tailgate to level it out as cooking surface. One of the simpliest & best mini-mods I ever made to my truck. It's like the world's largest cutting board while campin' & cookin'.

Just a thought...

KEENO:)

SicNick

Observer
First tires and now shells, ExpeditionPortal is becoming quite the manufacturing force.

Yeah, I definately just lurked around a bit, saw that term used a few times, and jumped on the incorrect usage bandwagon:sombrero:
However in my defense, Im only building this thing because of this forum...

Anyway, my shell didn't come with toolboxes, I wish it had atleast on the drivers side. I will probably be coming up with one, for when the shell is in "work" mode

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Yeah, I definately just lurked around a bit, saw that term used a few times, and jumped on the incorrect usage bandwagon:sombrero:
However in my defense, Im only building this thing because of this forum...

:victory:

I see your in Utah, we'll have to plan a trip once your build is complete :cool:

SicNick

Observer
For sure man, I should be up in the SLC area starting this fall. I got a set of keys made today, all locks working now, gonna swing by I'd glass shop tomorrow and see about the front window.

SicNick

Observer
Auto glass shop said im going to have to find out who made the shell and what window to use... lame. They also said that those sliders run about 300 bucks installed thats a full benjamin more than I paid for the whole shell!

In addition, Im really liking the idea a fabbing up a removable Forced air heater unit, utilizing an automotive heater core and blower motor. Id like this to be diesel powered so I dont have to mess with an additional fuel. Also, it would be awesome to set this up with the option of preheating my engine for super cold excursions. And finally some point down the road, adapting a water to water heat exchanger so it can warm potable water for washing duties:drool: I like the espar and wabasto units but they are spendy, I've got a good amount of fab skill, great CAD, and a wealth of diesel knowledge and know how. Might be starting from scrath on this one. Im sure the brains on this site could be a huge benefit.

I was planning on utilizing a seperate jerry can fuel source so in the extremee cold I could fuel my furnace with kerosene if diesel/biodiesel gelling might be an issue.:ylsmoke:

chasespeed

Explorer
Okay, on the aux heat.... I liek the Espar unit myself, for its simplicity, etc.. but, the cost.... no thanks. If you can figure out a way to heat the coolant, with a seperate heat unit like that, make 2.. .I will buy one from ya....

AS far as the gelling... for number one, its just a blend of #2 and kerosene. To lower the cloud and pour points..... most cold climates start selling it late in fall, right before temps get to freezing...

NOW, a simple forced air unit, could be made with a heater core as you know, and just plumbed from the coolant.. I would use copper tube to the rear, to prevent stuff kicking up and ruining anything... And a nice decent quiet fan... mount it all in a box.. and you will have plenty of heat.

The trick, would be a ciruclating pump(not a full on water pump), and regulating the flow past the t-stat... heat the coolant to 120-150*, would be plenty.

You get get a valve, that opens when the heat unit is tuned on, bypassing the t-stat... this way, the motor is always warm as well.....Man, I cant tell you how many times I fired that truck up, and drove 10-14miles in the sub zero temps before heat would come on....

I think your on to something. You thinking of maybe mounting this unit... on the ceiling, up front in the cap?

For what its worth, I am in the HVAC field(needed to find a civilian trade), and will help as much as you want(I love working with oil burners as well)...

Chase

SicNick

Observer
Thanks for the info guys, there was a diesel burning torpedo heater for sale in town about a month ago for $50 because the fuel tank was cracked...dang should've snagged that thing.

Anyway, I made a trip up north a ways yesterday afternoon to pick up some suzuki samurai axles for another project I have...

This was my first round trip with the shell mounted, it was 192 miles one way according to google maps. I blended a very small amount of acetone with my regular diesel fuel additive and went 265 miles on 13.4 gallons. Which is 19.77 MPG! not too shabby considering a 25 year old 8,500lb 4x4 on 3 ft tall tires at an average elevation of 5,000 ft above sea level.

More camper work today, promise:coffeedrink:

SicNick

Observer
I did more work, but i built a top secret bike rack, a dont want to unveil it just yet
:costumed-smiley-007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy