The not-so-definitive guide to Sienna seats

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Do the swivel seats lock in more positions than just forward and backwards?
Thanks!

It could if you wanted to cut another slot for the lock arm to engage with. You get the best reclining action with the seat facing rearward. Anything in between and you're limited in how far you can lean back because of the door.

sub-terminal

It could if you wanted to cut another slot for the lock arm to engage with. You get the best reclining action with the seat facing rearward. Anything in between and you're limited in how far you can lean back because of the door.

Thanks for the reply.
I was looking at possibly putting in my ambo which may not have the space to swivel 180 and recline without hitting the cut out wall where the cab and box meet.

A couple things to consider about those seats.

-Only the middle seat has an integrated seat belt. You'd have to come up with seat belts for the other two seats. Not impossible but also not trivial.
-The mounting flanges are different than either the recliner style seat or the 2nd row captains buckets. You'd have to come up with a new way to mount them, there isn't an "off the shelf" solution like there is for the other seats.

I think a guy could make them work if he really wanted to but I see it being quite a bit of effort (assuming they fit in the spot you want them. I don't think they'd fit between the wheel wells in an E-series).

So for your front seat mounts, you can use the reclining seats for both driver, and passenger? And just use the sienna seat belts?
Thanks
Morgan

RickM

Observer
For what it is worth. I have my seats sitting in my garage, and I am so freaking excited about getting them installed. I ordered my bases from Ujoint, but they were back ordered, and on the way in late last week. I am now putting my whole family on Postman watch!!!!!

RickM

mgmetalworks

Explorer
So for your front seat mounts, you can use the reclining seats for both driver, and passenger? And just use the sienna seat belts?
Thanks
Morgan

Yes, the recliner style seats fit in the driver/passenger locations.

There are two issues with the Toyota belts in this application.
1) The integrated belts get tighter as you drive and won't allow any slack. Not very comfortable for a driver in my opinion
2) The Ford Restraints Control Module needs the pre-tensioners in order to function properly (pictured below...that is the Ford pre-tensioner/seat belt receiver). I adapt those parts to the side of the Sienna seat (simple process actually) and retain the van's original seat belts.

DSC_0281 (800x536).jpg

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter

Do any years/models have non recliners to use in the front? Or are the fronts from the sienna non reclining and use your mounts also. Seems like all I see is recliners or that pair with the jump seat in the middle.

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Do any years/models have non recliners to use in the front? Or are the fronts from the sienna non reclining and use your mounts also. Seems like all I see is recliners or that pair with the jump seat in the middle.

2011-2015 Siennas have 3 seat styles for the 2nd row.

1) Recliner style bucket seats (with integrated seat belts)
2) Bucket seats, no recliner foot rest (no integrated belts)
3) 60/40 bench (like the one pictured just a few posts ago).

#1 and #2 have been mounted to both my front mounts and Ujoint's universal mounts. See my build thread for example of the recliner style seats and see VANdiana build thread for example of bucket seats with no foot rest.

One other note, 2011-2014 bucket seats are cloth only. 2015 bucket seats can be cloth or leather. Recliners only come in leather.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Did you end adding additional holes in the newer brackets for the non reclining?

The short answer is yes, I did.

However... since I'm not using the Ford seat track slides (couldn't find enough so I switched to an aftermarket slide mechanism), there are a few extra holes that are no longer used. No big deal though because with the updated design and the new slides, there are actually combinations of holes that can yield more leg room than the Ford slides would allow.

There are two issues with the Toyota belts in this application.
1) The integrated belts get tighter as you drive and won't allow any slack. Not very comfortable for a driver in my opinion
2) The Ford Restraints Control Module needs the pre-tensioners in order to function properly (pictured below...that is the Ford pre-tensioner/seat belt receiver). I adapt those parts to the side of the Sienna seat (simple process actually) and retain the van's original seat belts.

View attachment 279474

Okay, gotcha. I was wondering what exactly was going on in that post. That makes sense now. What is the lead time on front bases? Say I paid today, how long will the weight be, ballpark?
Thanks
Morgan

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Okay, gotcha. I was wondering what exactly was going on in that post. That makes sense now. What is the lead time on front bases? Say I paid today, how long will the weight be, ballpark?
Thanks
Morgan

This week in particular I have a few projects already going so it would be early next week before I could ship out a set.

RickM

Observer
Here is a goofy question. Has anyone used the Ujoint kits with a sliding mechanism for the rears in order to be able to essentially either have more cargo space, or more leg room depending on the seat position? If so is there an aftermarket part that would work best for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad