Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles: Do you agree?

Scott Brady

Founder
Well what, exactly, happened? Was the first replacement from a junkyard?

Maybe replace it with this one? It's well broken in. ;)

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Subaru/Legacy/HALIBURTON/Ontario/19_3864336_/

Don't know the story with the first replacement, as it was done by the PO, although they did say it was rebuilt (not new). It needs another motor now, it sounds like a box of rocks when you turn it over. . .

I have no interest in playing with this car further - I know a rabbit hole when I see one. We will pick another low cost overland project.

Patman

Explorer
I have no interest in playing with this car further - I know a rabbit hole when I see one. We will pick another low cost overland project.

That's unfortunate, sounds like a wise plan though. Still going to stick with the Suby, or go for something else? Vitara maybe?:rolleyes:

Paladin

Banned
Oooh, always sketchy buying a used vehicle with a not-original motor. Did the PO sell the car shortly after the replacement was done? Maybe they paid somebody bottom-dollar to put anything in it to sell it. Who knows.

I like the current Vitara a lot. Tried to get my brother to get one, but they bought an Escape instead. :rolleyes:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i owned a grand vitara for about 4 years. Pretty good rig, overall.

put in a steel centersection to replace the cracked aluminum one up front, and installed an OME spring/shock/strut kit.

Lots of good miles until we had timing chain issues that should have been covered under my warranty, but were not.

the chain ate a bunch of the followers/guides and couldn't be remedied. Other than that, it was a very reliable vehicle.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I am glad you are challenging my list. Everyone has their own needs and bias.

The reader will make up their own decision if my logic makes sense or not.

The one thing I was not going to do was spew out the super-safe list that doesn't reflect what people are actually using in interesting places of the world. I recommended vehicles that would fit a cross-section of budgets, size requirements and travel styles. If you love visiting museums and bazaars around the world and could care less about muddy roads, why not buy a sweet Merc and do it in comfort and style and blend in with all of the locals?

I could have done this list:

1. 80 Series Land Cruiser
2. 100 Series Land Cruiser
3. 110 Defender
4. Tacoma
5. Land Rover Discovery
6. Third Generation 4Runner
7. Nissan XTerra
8. Mitsubishi Montero
9. Jeep Wrangler JK
10. Isuzu Trooper

The problem is that this list is safe, it is boring, and it not reflective of what people are actually using in the third world and finding to be effective. People would have read it and said "meh". It would have resulted in no discussion.

The list is intended to get the discussion going and for us to have some fun with it. So let me have a crack at the safe list.

1. 80 Series Land Cruiser: Too old now and usually neglected by the PO. Newer models (i.e. 100) are better in so many areas and only give 10-15% away on trail performance.

2. 100 Series Land Cruiser: A nearly perfect exploration vehicle. They are the Land Cruiser of choice by most in the developing world (Note: The 70 series is the LC of choice for serious work, which the 100 is used for personal use and people transport).

3. 110 Defender: An NAS 110 is nearly 20 years old and still 40k. There are better vehicles for that price, though none will ever be as stylish.

4. Tacoma: Perfect vehicle, though limited parts support internationally.

5. Land Rover Discovery: These vehicles are nearly a decade-old in the newest variant and the LR3 is a more capable, more refined and more reliable vehicle in stock form. It is a bitter pill, but a fact.

6. Third Generation 4Runner: Awesome truck, but I prefer the 4th Gen.

7. Nissan XTerra: Awesome vehicle, but with limited international parts support and a fragile front end.

8. Mitsubishi Montero: The newer trucks are fragile (I have a great story from Morocco, oh, and Mongolia) and struggle in technical terrain. Older solid rear axle trucks are sweet, but just like the 80 series, they are getting really old and there are better simply options with lower miles.

9. Jeep Wrangler JK: Proof is in the pudding. I have beat the piss out of these things over the Rubicon 14 times, Moab and all the way to Panama. They have proven to be 100% reliable in our testing.

10. Isuzu Trooper: I love the Trooper and have owned one for over half a decade but these trucks are now obsolete. There are better options.

The biggest challenge is not picking what vehicle to leave on a big trip with, but actually going on the trip. Just think about how many perfect, built to the max 80 series Land Cruisers there are that have never left this country, let alone left the state they are in.

The Merc and the Suzuki got lots of jeers, but they are everywhere in the world - literally everywhere. Go buy a little Vitara and pack it full of some clothes, a few spares and then go see what lies beyond the horizon. . .

The only problem I have with your list is that it was for North America and now everyone is looking for who has support in the Republic of Rwanda.

Any of the cars on your list could get you to an REI in Anaheim or a day at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge or night at Senor Frogs in Puerto Vallarta.

This North American overlander is off to Lowe’s for an expedition finding the reclusive heated out-door bird bath. The Sawainson Thrushes have traveled from the tropical forests of Brazil to Alaska only to find my bird bath is freezing at night. :(

bugnout

Adventurer
Really good article and discussion.

Would love to see the Top Ten North American Diesel powered Expo vehicles list. But I'm betting you might have to make it a top 5 list. :coffee:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
So when's this list coming out, cause I've been waiting since 2005 for the Tundra to be ExPo sexy.....I can't stay uncool forever! ( Can I?)

ExPo whatever...We are members of the proud Tundrabird Nation and we've always been cool. The rest are just catching up to us. :elkgrin:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I am with you, but I think only for the love. In reality, a 2011 4Runner Trail edition would do everything a 1st gen could do, and better. It would be faster, more comfortable, safer, more capable (lockers, A-Trac), more refined, etc. I wouldn't even be surprised if the 2011 would get nearly the same fuel economy.

It is really amazing what some of these newer vehicles can do.

We just had an LR4 for a few months and that vehicle is absolutely incredible. It lacks some of the uniqueness of my Disco I, but will do everything else better - everything. If you took a stock DI and a stock LR4 with the HD package and tested them, it would be shocking how much better the LR4 would perform, in every way. Of course, you can buy a DI for $5, and the LR4 will cost you $50,000, so that can be a big modifier :Wow1:

except the 1st gen is 3k and the new one is 35k, and yes they get about the same fuel economy, a guy I work with has a new one and gets about 22hwy. Plus he can do more than 55mph up hill lol.

However I have him beat in ultimately important sexyerness category, don't have to go through emissions, and own a vehicle who's birthday is two month's prior to mine....... so I'll stick with the first gen:smiley_drive:

now if only I could get the 4.0L V6 into my runner..........or turbo charged e85/flex fuel 2.7L 4cyl I would be set:coffeedrink:

BEVAN

Adventurer
I really like the list...Would like to see the XJ on there but they are getting some age on them...Good call on the Merc wagon, It brings into perspective that Overlanding does not have to be in a dedicated 4x4.

Keep up the good work Scott !

alexfm

Explorer
Its probably been said once already, but Im surprised the Jeep Cherokee didnt make it on the list. Being one of the most widely distributed and most popular small SUV's (at least in North America), as well as mountains of aftermarket support, I'm kinda suprised it wasnt on there. Not to mention even an 01 Cherokee can be had for far less than most of the vehicles that made the list.

Just my 2 cents.

alex.

Scott Brady

Founder
Simply a matter of age. The newest XJ is over a decade old now. There are dozens of excellent choices for cross-border adventure travel, and I picked a diverse field of offerings based on my own opinion. Take it for the $.02 it is worth ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3