Trump's 03 Tacoma

4RunAmok

Explorer
NO WAY! I've been told I have that as well. And I'm also rarely if ever without sunglasses, and always have to spend serious money to make sure I get good ones. I've even been known to wear them inside on certain occasions!

Whats PRK?

I have the same problem with glare on the hood with my white paint as well.

trump

Adventurist
I just stuck it in the too hard box.

The friend I had come over to help had window tinting experience and helped a lot. After a couple minutes of instruction I was feeling pretty confident though. It's a lot easier to work with than you would think; however, this is absolutely not a one man job.

bmh

Adventurer
Another welcome addition today. I have a condition called photophobia.

If I had to self diagnose myself, I would say that I have that. I can't go out without sunglasses or my head starts to hurt really badly. I like your idea, especially if it makes your eyes feel better.

Trout

A friend started with a piece of matt black film on his hood. We spend a lot of time out in Death Valley and it was getting EXTREMELY hot in the sun. He peeled off the black and went with a light grey also with a matt finish - seems to be a good compromise between cutting the glare and having a hood that gets hot enough to cook on.

Sempertoy

Explorer
photophobia?!?!? Can this be the cause of my constant state of squinting and headsches while in the sun?? I think this may be the answer! How did you find out? Did you just go to medical and tell them your symptoms? My wife always thought I was overexaggerating when I told her my eyes always hurt... This will show her!

Box Rocket

Love the hood blackout! I've been meaning to order a kit from Crawlorado ever since he made the 01-04 Taco blackouts. Just haven't done it yet, but it's good to see someone who has and how it turned out. Great job. I'd love to see another pic or two. :)

trump

Adventurist
Love the hood blackout! I've been meaning to order a kit from Crawlorado ever since he made the 01-04 Taco blackouts. Just haven't done it yet, but it's good to see someone who has and how it turned out. Great job. I'd love to see another pic or two. :)

Thanks! Yeah, his website is really lacking any good pictures of the first gen blackout. The black on dark green doesn't contrast well enough to showcase the product IMO. I'm planning on sending a couple pictures his way for that reason. I'd be happy to add some, but I'll wait until after this weekend. That way I can hopefully add some nice trail shots for ya.

trump

Adventurist
I want to offer this for anyone considering getting this hood blackout because I wasn't sure about it before I gambled on it:

-It appears from pictures on Crawlorado that the vinyl for the first gen Tacoma isn't as long as some of the other vehicle makes.

This is true, but have no fear about its appearance... from the drivers seat I can't see the white paint in front of the vinyl. It stops at a point that the hood has sloped down far enough to be out of view. For reference I'm 6'2".

Edit: I keep calling this a first gen Tacoma blackout, but it is indeed cut to follow the contours of the '01-'04 hood only.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

Yeah - what he said. A few pics upon your return and your impression on how it performed in use on the trail will be appreciated. I didn't think glare would be an issue with the slope of the hood either; the overlay shape is what makes it standout so well IMHO.

trump

Adventurist
Yeah - what he said. A few pics upon your return and your impression on how it performed in use on the trail will be appreciated. I didn't think glare would be an issue with the slope of the hood either; the overlay shape is what makes it standout so well IMHO.

Cool, I'll let you all know after I hit the trail. I daily drive my truck, so I can already say the improvement is noticable. Much less reflected light. I wanted to borrow a luxmeter and do a write up with quantifiable data of the before and after for everyone, but I would have had to put off the install. Call me impatient, but the timing was right for my friend to help out. Glad I didn't wait. :p

4RunAmok

Explorer
You can buy one for my 4Runner ( :D ) and we can run your lux tests, I'll help you install it, and we can run lux tests after.... plan?

Box Rocket

I want to offer this for anyone considering getting this hood blackout because I wasn't sure about it before I gambled on it:

-It appears from pictures on Crawlorado that the vinyl for the first gen Tacoma isn't as long as some of the other vehicle makes.

This is true, but have no fear about its appearance... from the drivers seat I can't see the white paint in front of the vinyl. It stops at a point that the hood has sloped down far enough to be out of view. For reference I'm 6'2".

Edit: I keep calling this a first gen Tacoma blackout, but it is indeed cut to follow the contours of the '01-'04 hood only.

This is true. Ironically I was one of the people that originally requested he start making these for the 01-04's and I believe played a part in convincing him to cut the vinyl shorter instead of all the way to the front edge of the hood. Personally I think it looks MUCH better in the final version than covering the full length of the hood.

trump

Adventurist
This is true. Ironically I was one of the people that originally requested he start making these for the 01-04's and I believe played a part in convincing him to cut the vinyl shorter instead of all the way to the front edge of the hood. Personally I think it looks MUCH better in the final version than covering the full length of the hood.

If nothing else it makes it easier to apply, and that is welcomed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal