What is the greatest overland vehicle ever sold new in the US?

As the best all-around, everyman's overlander...1st-gen 4Runner:

DSC_0010_2.jpg

22RE, 4WD, Reliable, Good Mileage & Range, SUV/Truck, point it and go.
Someone remind me of why I sold that truck! Man, that was so cool.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
My vote is Unimog, but not the U500 (size mostly), but the SBU series, which, were in fact sold new in the USofA at various times, both by Mercedes themselves, and by companies like Schmidt as dedicated plow and utility trucks. (As evident by the MPH speedo, and English data stickers) Strip off all the rail/plow/whatever equiptment, and you have one of the most capable 4wd's made.

The 406 was also sold in the US by JI Case, but I think its a little to cramped, short, stinky and slow for an expo vehicle. But a great tractor ;)

4x4junkie

Explorer
For N/A use, my pick is the 1st-gen Ford Explorer ('91-'94).

They have become a great hidden gem in the used 4x4 truck market and are just as capable offroad as other vehicles people pay more for when built properly.
Aftermarket support is quite decent (especially when it comes to the axles), and is plenty sturdy enough to handle 35" tires (though 31-33s are probably more practical for most camping/overland uses). Lots & lots of used parts available too (being a #1 US seller has it's benefits, even if 99.99% of the trucks don't get used in any meaningful way, that just means those parts are in better shape).
The luxurious 'Limited' model will cradle you in leather and dim your mirror at night for you, among other things lol. and yet it is barely any more to buy than less-appointed ones if you happen to find one. Sorry, no built-in GPS navigation console though, that you'll have to bring your own.

-Bronco II- yep, I had one, about all I want to say about that

Why so mum? BIIs are good too... Yeah some had axle & transmission deficiencies, however almost all of the good parts from the Explorer are bolt-on backward-compatible.
I've certainly been happy with mine, goes everywhere & does everything I've needed it to (it does have Explorer axles under it). :)

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a copy of the original Off Road Magazine issue, which has their overland debut in Turtle I, their Land Rover Series II.

Back in the 1970's I used to devour every 4wd magazine I could find (the big 3 were "Four Wheeler", "Off Road Vehicles" (Later just changed to "Off Road") and my favorite was "Pickup, Van and 4wd" or PV4 for short.

The first two are still in existence in some form, PV4 has been dead since the early 80's.

Anyway, I actually had that same issue with the Westcott's detailing how they came to choose the LWB Landy 109, how they equipped it, and so on.

Unfortunately, after I went into the Army in 1980, my mom moved to a new house and those old magazines apparently got thrown in the trash. :(

I often wish somebody would scan and digitize those old car an 4x4 magazines. Lots of good info there and better than that, magazines, being periodicals, have a way of capturing the "zeitgeist" of an era better than retrospective histories. Honestly, if someone were to digitize those and make them available on DVD-ROM or CD-ROM, I'd buy a copy, for sure.

At least I still have my copy of the "Off Road Handbook" by "Bob Waar" from about 1976! :D

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I'm surprised this one hasn't been brought up yet. Born of war and in production to the civilian market from 1946 to 1971 (the last 3 years were for export production), the Dodge Power Wagon has served on nearly every continent and a variety of no-kidding expeditions.

Tough as nails and easily maintained and repaired it was marketed by Dodge as the "farm truck." Refurbished as a retromod it's pretty sweet with modern running gear, like the one I took a picture of in Wyoming in 2011, above.

In its original form it would be a little tough for extended travel these days but I think you can make a case of it being one of the greatest overland vehicle ever sold new in the US.

I agree. The Power Wagons were often used commercially for mining, oil exploration, ranching...etc. A 75 HP flathead six with 5.83 gears would take them about anywhere. Earlier versions had a non-synchro transmission as I recall.

Always wanted one...ended up settling for a M37-B1, same innards, different sheet metal.

Regards

Jim

n2dfire

Observer
2013-02-28 12.35.56.jpgtruck3.jpgphonepics1 265.jpg2013-02-28 12.30.05.jpgswansea1.jpg2013-02-10 13.30.18.jpg2013-02-28 12.33.17.jpg2012-04-30 19.00.15.jpgThe Land cruiser 80 is hard to beat, I am putting my 08 power wagen as a contender....The most off road capable modern full size truck from the show room floor. Front and Rear Lockers, Electronic Swaybar Disconnect, 4:56 gears, 12000 lb Warn Winch, Full Armor undercarage, 35 gallon tank, 160 amp alternator, and 750 amp battery, on a 2500 series Ram truck....5.7 L Hemi,...Done! The only reason I give the LC80 an edge is size and gas mileage.

mapper

Explorer
Strictly by the numbers...the most popular overland vehicle actually used, built and sold in the US by average families is likely the Dodge Caravan and its corporate relatives. Add up the collective adventures the millions of Caravans have accumulated over the years and it's a damn tough act to follow.

mapper

Explorer
If you must include 4x4 capabilities I'd say Jeeps...Wrangler or Cherokee have been the most used by real people. Either way Chrysler has put out some pretty innovative and useful products for family adventure. Not saying I want one though :coffee:

AFSOC

Explorer
Strictly by the numbers...the most popular overland vehicle actually used, built and sold in the US by average families is likely the Dodge Caravan and its corporate relatives. Add up the collective adventures the millions of Caravans have accumulated over the years and it's a damn tough act to follow.

Ha Ha Ha, funny you bring up the Caravan as an overlander. I spent four years, between 2000 and 2004, exploring every nook and crannie of Eastern and Western Europe in a 1997 US spec Grand Caravan. It was a roomy, trouble free, sleep in the back rig with a healthy appetite for front brake pads. Many good times and many bucket list experiences/destinations in the old Dodge GC.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Ha Ha Ha, funny you bring up the Caravan as an overlander. I spent four years, between 2000 and 2004, exploring every nook and crannie of Eastern and Western Europe in a 1997 US spec Grand Caravan. It was a roomy, trouble free, sleep in the back rig with a healthy appetite for front brake pads. Many good times and many bucket list experiences/destinations in the old Dodge GC.

Not to mention its under the radar capability!

Last edited:

Adventurer
Also have to agree. As far as capability and comfort go I dont see how a 100 isn't more popular.. The 80s cult following IMHO is the only reason it remains a top pick over the hundie by most...

1. Yota/Lexus 100 series
2. 80 Series
3. Mitsu Montero Limited
4. 3rd Gen 4Runner
5. 4th Gen 4runner
6. Tacoma
suburban_cottonwood_creek_02.jpg

Chevrolet Suburban /GMC Yukon (yea I said it) Have to be the most underrated, overlooked vehicles ever on these forums. Its unbeatable in the comfort and room department and capable enough offroad to get you around cept in the really tight trails. Cheap to maintain as well..
8. Jeep Grand Cherokee
9. Jeep Wrangler( comfort wise they suck) Just my own opinion.
10. Nissan X-Terra (very underrated)

Last edited:

Sggilbert

Adventurer
I for one am shocked that so few people have mentioned the XJ Cherokee. I am not claiming it is the greatest, but it really should be in the running, definitely ahead of the JK. It has a proven record of reliability, affordable parts, and relative ease of repair.
It is big enough, small enough, powerful enough, has excellent visibility, and is good on fuel.

They were also used extensively by government, police, fisheries, game wardens, meter readers and taxis.

Outback

Explorer
Chevy M1028

Dana 60 King Pin Front Axle (stock with Limited Slip)
Corporate 14 Bolt rear (stock with Detroit Locker)
4.56 Gears
Turbo 400
NP208 or NP205 depending on configuration
6.2 Detroit Diesel

Attachments

• P7100033.jpg
    P7100033.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member