What vehicles make the best Expedition platforms?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
^exactly. Go anywhere else in the world, that is better served with Toyotas, and you'll find parts. Know your destination. If your travels keep you in North America, chose a vehicle that is popular in North America. I wouldn't except to find a water pump for an F-150 in some small village in Africa and I wouldn't except to find a diesel injection pump for a Nissan Patrol in Idaho.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
^exactly. Go anywhere else in the world, that is better served with Toyotas, and you'll find parts. Know your destination. If your travels keep you in North America, chose a vehicle that is popular in North America. I wouldn't except to find a water pump for an F-150 in some small village in Africa and I wouldn't except to find a diesel injection pump for a Nissan Patrol in Idaho.

Not an issues finding parts for land cruisers in the USA :). As stated above that Napa is a tiny Napa.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I realize Fords and Chevys are everywhere. I need something a little smaller than a pickup, which is what I believe you are referring to. I plan to tackle some tight trails and moderate rock, so a shorter wheelbase would work better for me, that's why I listed the vehicles I am considering.
A Tahoe or Yukon (NON-XL) is only a little bigger than a 4runner and they all have V8's. Cost can be as low as half of that of a comparable year 4runner.
RE: Xterra, one nice thing about them is they were always available with manual transmissions, whereas Toyota dropped the MT in the 4runner after the 2000 model year.
3rd gen 4runner: Nice capable platform but engine power is marginal especially once you start adding armor and big tires, and fuel range is abysmal ( ~ 200 miles or less for a built-up rig with armor on big tires.) That's one of the reasons you see so many built up 4runner with multiple fuel cans.
Montero and Trooper are good if you're OK with an "orphan" vehicle (i.e. little or no dealer or aftermarket support.)
Don't overlook 2nd gen Explorers, they can be acquired dirt cheap and built up nicely. Also available with a manual trans if you want, and V8s were available too (though I'm pretty sure you could not have both.)

Sunpilot

Observer
If you have to go small, It's hard to beat a Jeep Rubicon.

Although for tight trails and 4 wheels, I prefer a dirt cheap beat up Jeep YJ. Pretty trucks and tight trails don't go together.

Since I live in Arizona my thoughts were a rig that could double...over-landing and tighter, rockier trails. Perhaps I should reconsider. I had a 2003 Rubicon which I loved, but it was too small to carry all my gear and suffered on the highway out here. Plus, I had a soft top and could not lock my camera gear safely.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
The early GX470 can be had for around 10k, same platform as the fj cruiser/4Runner and known as Toyota Prado overseas just with a Lexus badge. Full time AWD, 23 gallon fuel tank, standard V8, fully boxed frame, 7k tow rating and very comfortable. Since your traveling west your going to want something that will easily travel in the 75-80mph range something to keep in mind when looking at some of the trucks on your list.

If you put the numbers to it, a 1st gen Expedition is right about the same size as this and has a lot of the same features. Except for the 30 gallon fuel tank. And based almost entirely on the best selling vehicle of all time: the Ford F-150. And the Toyota Tax.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If you put the numbers to it, a 1st gen Expedition is right about the same size as this and has a lot of the same features. Except for the 30 gallon fuel tank. And based almost entirely on the best selling vehicle of all time: the Ford F-150. And the Toyota Tax.

Actually, the Corolla is the best selling vehicle.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
With your criteria listed a Jeep JKU Rubicon comes to mind, fills almost every one of your listed requirements

chasespeed

Explorer
id love a Pro4x Xterra (or frontier CCSB for that matter) with the 4.0 and 6spd. Great platform. Loved my Frontier. In fact, considering replacing my Jeep with another Frontier....

Trooper interior is HUGE. Mine was a 93. No reliability issues, went everywhere I pointed it, though it wouldn't win any races. And you can get just about anything by ARB/OME for it.

Sounds like what you're after is an older Land Cruiser, FJ80.

There is no be-all in this category. Everything is going to be a compromise. Just need to decide what you are willing to compromise.

Chase

sargeek

Adventurer
Expo vehicle

How about the one you own? - There are great expeditions that have gone around the world in (Volkswagen, Fords, Chevy, Land-cruiser, heck even an old London Cab); Pick one and go for it. I have been on trails, and seen almost everything. Just pick one and go for it. Don't over think it.

94toy22re

Observer

Well it looks like everyone with a Toyota, Jeep, Nissan, Mercedes or Land Rover should sell their vehicle right now and go buy a much more capable and reliable Ford Expedition, I'm going to start looking right now!

Last edited:

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I have only seen an Expedition once on the trail. It got stuck on the clearance check bump going into the Broken Arrow trail in Sedona. Not trying to dampen the spirt around a good vehicle but it is not a trail capable vehicle as called out in the OP.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I am not a Ford guy, but you should probably consider an E-350 as a base. Or an Excursion. Fuel economy won't be great, though.

Marine

Adventurer
. Just pick one and go for it. Don't over think it.[/QUOTE]

Well put. Hell I once rode my Harley from Michigan to Colorado for a bow hunting trip! Was it dumb? hind site yes, I'm sure I looked like the mad hatter, but it's the journey. The destination will always be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven