What's new at Coyote RV/Phoenix Pop up?

Kowboy

Adventurer
Whats the reason people want the tailgate up/on for??

Unless you can squeeze thru that lil' front window, you'd best have an escape hatch thru the roof. Someone come along at night and close the tailgate you'd be stuck. My truck club's full of practical jokers that would have a field day with this.

Mine won't have the tailgate and I'll have locks on my swingout spare-tire carrier that will lock in the closed position AND the open position.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't get the tailgate thing either. It is exactly my luck that a buddy would come along and close the tailgate on me as well.
It's just extra weight at that point, and it's a few inches of length (interior room) that you lose if you would have extended the camper the the back of the tail lights.

r3run33

Adventurer
reverse camera on tailgate biggest thing makes driving much easier!! can you give a ball park figure on that camper on the raptor??? I know it has lots of extras and little things add up. thanks

r3run33

Adventurer
forget the pricing found it on your site but would love to see the pics of the raptor one interior if you have more thanks

Vzfit

Observer
Tailgate thoughts

I am the new owner of the raptor pulse pictured above and I am very pleased with the camper!
My thoughts on the tailgate: 1) The tailgate is lockable, so it does add extra security for your camper, inside contents, and outside doors (like my generator compartment which has a small lock on it, but I feel better being able to lock my tailgate). 2) The positioning of the camper within the tailgate doesn't make the rear of the truck droop or sag as much. My truck suspension is completely stock with no air bags. 3) Any worries I have of someone shutting the tailgate on me can be put to rest with a master lock placed on one of the tailgate latches. However, I just sit my trash bag, muddy boots, firewood, etc. on my "porch." The tailgate allows stuff you don't want inside to be reached easily from inside. 4) The backup camera is very nice and I have grown pretty fond of it. I hope these answer some questions and this setup works for me and my rig just fine.

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0148.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

r3run33

Adventurer
hey vxfit how does the raptor handle with the extra weight in the back???? I have only driven them empty and they are beautiful trucks bt have heard and heavy load stresses the fox shocks. This is coming from raptors carrying dirt bikes etc. thanks any thought or opinions are appreciated; considering jumping to the raptor for my trip next summer

Hey there Vzfit. I, for one, think that keeping the tailgate is a great idea for all of the reasons you mentioned. Larry, another regular who posts quite a bit on Domestic Full Size, has his Phoenix tucked into the back of his Chevy with the tailgate on. I've seen it up close and it is muy bueno! :drool:

Kowboy

Adventurer
The glory of having a camper custom built to your specs is that you get exactly what you want. :cool:

And there ain't no right or wrong when it's exactly what you want.

They should be cashin' my deposit check in the next few days. :D

Vzfit

Observer
With the camper loaded, my raptor drives astonishingly like it did without it. On my trip from Denver to the mountains and then back to TX, I experienced the loss of 1 mpg (according to the dash computer). When driving, I use the Tow/Haul function. The tow/haul is a lifesaver in the mountains and other places properly gearing your ride and preventing the need for excessive braking with that extra weight. As far as the raptor handling the load: I just removed my camper yesterday and the suspension is fine. The camper was on the truck for 3 weeks straight without any problems. With that being said, I didn't do any hardcore off-roading with it on and probably never will. I will just unload it before I get too fast and crazy:) And of course, I will remove it when not in use just to give my truck a break and free up my bed for hauling stuff.
The raptor is a fine choice. In Texas, I love the ability to drive across a pasture at moderate/high speeds without damaging components or flipping my truck. On trails however, the raptor is really wide and could cause problems getting through tight spots. With mine being a 2011, I plan on adding a front diff locker and a winch in the future. The 2012's and above have a front locker, so that is something to consider. I hope this helps.

DEnd

Observer
hey vxfit how does the raptor handle with the extra weight in the back???? I have only driven them empty and they are beautiful trucks bt have heard and heavy load stresses the fox shocks. This is coming from raptors carrying dirt bikes etc. thanks any thought or opinions are appreciated; considering jumping to the raptor for my trip next summer

It depends on how you drive it. If you drive it like a pre-runner with the extra load the yes you are going to stress the shocks. More weight equals more energy the shocks have to disapate, which means the shocks will get heat soaked more quickly. Also Shocks are really only set to be perfect at only a few possible types of suspension movements. That said the stock Raptor shocks are most likely fine for highway driving and trail riding with a heavy load, if you are going to do higherspeed off-roading with a heavy load then you will probably want something more substantial, which would probably mean a custom shock.

r3run33

Adventurer
thanks to all the responses; I was questioning the ride because on a trip near vegas last summer a f250 loaded up with dirt bikes had some trouble keeping up with the rest of the group. This was a tour trip so I had no idea if it was driver or how the f250 was equipped. The raptor was a dream on this trip and which is really on my wish list. This wasn't hardcore off roading but we were doing 50 to 60 mph on a desert road and it was like the freeway.

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Nice little Tacoma Pop up

This one went out a couple of weeks ago. A good fit on this 2004 Tacoma. Custom features include:

* LED strip lighting under front wall overhang inside
* extra 12v and 110v outlets built in for work
* larger upgraded 12v to 110v power inverter for work
* soft white LED lighting
* an extra "desk" table, so that this customer can do her work inside her camper.
* a SINGLE front to back sleeper main bed, tucked over to one side of the cabover
* huge next to bed storage top load locker, can be used as a night stand
* fold away headboard so that the customer can sit up in bed at night and work or read
* LED flood lights outside and a regular porch light
* special mounted fuel can on rear wall
* hi-lift jack carrier on rear wall
* extra drawers, extra large
* folding aluminum steps

and more....

weighing
1CC72DB9-17B0-47D9-A430-381362F8CC78-313-0000004113BE18D9.jpg

racing scale reading
AD34971F-4F5C-4CEB-88C4-6FDA1E252CC3-313-0000004115C30BA3.jpg

mounting on the Tacoma
7D10AC37-A4C3-499F-B703-4B2CB29E7ABA-313-000000446A5D9C1A.jpg

cool colored cushions all in a mess while loading up
33F7AA60-7B7B-4B78-9689-18194036B1F5-313-0000004465702CEE.jpg

extra drawers
4148739A-A7CE-445D-8E83-B1765BD0A0D3-313-00000044629A14F6.jpg

extra SPECIAL table stores on ceiling
67ED1433-B079-4452-AAB1-8E82A666D394-313-00000044678A4F3D.jpg

single front to back bed with large storage locker next to it
A1807304-FC69-45A4-BCB1-C2DA693B4166-313-000000445F69D3AD.jpg

back wall with special custom awning, fuel storage, hi lift jack holders, LED light, and step bracket
9E361404-D64B-4518-8C63-C0107FC03DC5-313-0000004110C6D7F8.jpg

another nice Tacoma with custom Phoenix Pop up, ready for adventure!
5BD175AB-5F88-4ADC-BD8A-98BEFCC846B8-313-000000410B5003B7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven