Wolf's Ongoing Discovery Build Thread

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
How do you like that Wilson wireless booster?

I have been thinking about getting one for a little while now but haven't been sure of their performance.

It saved someone's life two months ago on the side of the road... we would never have been able to raise the ambulance in time otherwise...

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Any recommenndations for one? Is Wilson the only go to or are there others that cost less and provide the same signal?

Thanks
Sam

Last edited:
S

Street Wolf

How do you like that Wilson wireless booster?

I have been thinking about getting one for a little while now but haven't been sure of their performance.

It saved someone's life two months ago on the side of the road... we would never have been able to raise the ambulance in time otherwise...

That right, that was a unfortunately but textbook example of why to have one. Aside from that I've found it very useful from day to day when out at the lake, traveling on back roads, or even traveling on the highway and still having full signal in what is a "dead zone" to everyone else.

Not to mention there is no hassle to use it. Once installed and hidden way that is it. No wires to mess with, docking station, or anything with my version.

Any recommenndations for one? Is Wilson the only go to or are there others that cost less and provide the same signal?

Thanks
Sam

The version I have is certainly ideal in my opinion.

801212.jpg

That little black rectangular piece at the bottom of the picture is the interior antenna. It automatically picks up any devices within range and amplifies the signal. Makes it extremely convenient for anyone to use because all they have to do is sit in my vehicle to get the benefits with their own device.

I only know one guy who has an iPhone, and we've never had the opportunity to drive out someone and try the cell booster on it. However I'm sure it'll work just like anything else. I do know it works with the Droid and Blackberry at least.

JEFFSGTP

Observer
I did notice with my droid, it would wig out I think from signal overload if I left it in automatic (I attribute this to the booster trying to boost both the 1x and 3G signals to the same level causing the phone to not know which one to use), but if I set it to home only it seemed to work much better with the wilson...definitely worth having if you do alot of travelling in places cell providers don't think you need to be:sombrero:

Last edited:

burn_e

Adventurer
Wouldn't it be even more effective to fix the antenna outside the car?

To avoid Faraday cage sort of effects.

S

Street Wolf

Wouldn't it be even more effective to fix the antenna outside the car?

To avoid Faraday cage sort of effects.

Works great as is, so I see no other reason to mount it anywhere else.

JEFFSGTP

Observer
BURN_E,

To answer your question...technically yes, it would be more effective, but the mounting locations on his truck are somewhat restricted for a magnet mount...ideally you would want to mount it in the top center of the vehicle, which is covered by the rack...the location its mounted is a happy medium so to speak, but as Chris said it still works.

brushogger

Explorer
Street Wolf -

Where'd you end up getting the wiper arms? I've been thinking about doing that myself. Its one mod I figure I can easily do with my limited supplies/tools here in Lawton.

Call CarCannibal in Oklahoma city. All they have are rover parts. The place is a rover salvage but the cool thing is everything is stored inside.

S

Street Wolf

Some updated pics of the Disco after getting it detailed due to "this"......

47831_443034901808_658556808_5543178_3983484_n.jpg

61943_443035121808_658556808_5543190_2733953_n.jpg

47831_443034906808_658556808_5543179_5669391_n.jpg

Now with the paint removed, and the paint that is suppose to be there polished up.

Picture014.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3