100W Portable kit on ebay

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The 100W came with the bag. No mention in the ad, but wonderful to see when it arrived.

Mine stands up in the trailer, as it did in the last. I will probably strap on the inside of the bed in the avalanche too.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yea I saw that the 100w did. Anyone have the 160w and got a bag?
Still departing if I want the 100 or 160. On it's down time I plan to have it set up at the house to charge little stuff like iPad, cell phone, laptop and slowly see if I can push it to do more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have a couple other sets of folding panels that did not have cases. It is very easy to create a durable "case" for them. A couple strap buckles, 1" strap, poprivets with washers, neoprene foam padding, Masonite.
1454815_10200442232373374_457447635_n.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The big one is a 100W Purchased for more $$ through a different vendor. :( The smaller one is one that I built a few years ago. It is two 20W panels.

solar1.JPG
solar2.JPG
IMGP0178.JPG

JKJenn

Adventurer
Has anyone tried their system out? Also, does anyone know if they can get wet?

I saw some long-term complaints from Powerfilm users about water damage. I have seen no complaints from goal Zero panel owners. I will be curious to see how well these hold up under poor weather conditions, too. I got a deal on a Goal Zero Escape 150/Boulder 15w panel today but still looking at options for bigger power supply for home back-up and extended camping/overland use. So far, Goal Zero is in the lead for plug/play and customer satisfaction. I liked the idea of an Arkpak and Solar Blvd but looking for something that is ready to go off of the shelf, I think. If these solar blvd panels continue to get good reviews, will consider using one of these with the Goal Zero guardian and Yeti. The Escape 30 panels just look a little more rugged.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Cover it up. No need to look at em. The controller I got is not rated for water resistance. It looks like it would be okay with some light rain but if its storming theres no point in having the panel out anyway.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Added a power port to the back of this panel.
solarbattery.jpg

This is where I will plug in a battery pack to be charged up, a flashlight or a radio in need of a charge. Also where I can add another panel to this one for charging together. Basically just a power port junction block.
Parts I had laying around, so no investment in the addition.

brushogger

Explorer
I got the 100w. It came with a decent bag. I think I'm going to partially disassemble it though and insert some 1/8" hardboard (Masonite) between the padding and the outer shell for more protection though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pidge

Hi guys long time looker darn near first time poster. I've got a few questions regarding the 100w kit from Solar Blvd. (same one HenryJ has) I went ahead and ordered one and it showed up today. Pretty neat compact unit I'd say. This is my first venture with something like this. I bought it with hopes of keeping my battery topped off from lights, fridge, phone etc. I often camp in the bush at a few jem back lakes to fish. I've got a few questions I hope you guys don't mind me asking. I did go thru the "solar sticky" more than a few times in case, but I don't recall seeing my queries.
1)Should I add a fuse anywhere along the power cord to my main battery? The wire appears to be 12 gauge. If so could some pros recommend a size. The sticker on the back says something along the lines of 10amp in series regarding the fuse, but I don't know what they mean.
2)Is there a risk of starting the truck with the panels attached to the battery?
3)Should I disconnect the panels from the battery at night. The instructions mention something about this, but honestly there's a lot of broken English in the instructions.
4)The symbol on the far right of the controller is for a "load" Other than going to my battery with supplied alligator clips what would one use for this? Is this where you have your lighter adaptor going to HenryJ?
I believe someone was asking for the size of the panel so ill help out a litter here. Folded=21.25"x24.75"x2.75" Open=42.75"x24.75"x1.24" Hope that helps.
Here's a pic of the sticker on the back side of the info in regards to the fuse.
And one of the controller.
Thanks guys for any help

Pidge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater