Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
All the talk of skiing and fresh powder is making me miss my home mountain on Vancouver Island...Washington and Cain...The two best places in the world. No Money for skiing right now because of school...waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DzlToy

Explorer
OM617 IS is a turbo charged engine unless you got a very very early model that was NA.

They will run forever and can be made to make ungodly power with the right mods, though reliability tends to suffer when you are making 450hp from them.

will1

Hey Allochris, I've been following this thread from day 1 and I'm impressed with your fabrication skills, your courage, your photographs and your zest for life! You've done a GREAT job here, please keep it up!

Vanis, I don't understand how the Mercedes 5 cyl 617 would be a desirable swap when one of the primary stated objectives is "a diesel engine with great gas mileage for LONG distance travel."
I've owned an MB 240D (616 4 cyl engine) for several years now and, though incredibly reliable and incredibly cheap to maintain, the mileage I'm getting has always been far from good for a diesel - I average about 20 miles per gallon, 50/50 city/hwy, driving it mostly like your grandma would.
Certainly, the 5 cyl 617 gets even worse mileage....and that's not just me - I've been on several MB forums for several years now and the relatively poor mileage thingy has been a common experience for all who have shared their experience on those forums.
Just my 2 cents here....which I hope will help.

D

Deleted member 12023

Hey Allochris, I've been following this thread from day 1 and I'm impressed with your fabrication skills, your courage, your photographs and your zest for life! You've done a GREAT job here, please keep it up!

Vanis, I don't understand how the Mercedes 5 cyl 617 would be a desirable swap when one of the primary stated objectives is "a diesel engine with great gas mileage for LONG distance travel."
I've owned an MB 240D (616 4 cyl engine) for several years now and, though incredibly reliable and incredibly cheap to maintain, the mileage I'm getting has always been far from good for a diesel - I average about 20 miles per gallon, 50/50 city/hwy, driving it mostly like your grandma would.
Certainly, the 5 cyl 617 gets even worse mileage....and that's not just me - I've been on several MB forums for several years now and the relatively poor mileage thingy has been a common experience for all who have shared their experience on those forums.
Just my 2 cents here....which I hope will help.

My 84 300d turbo (617, 5cyl) gets 33mpg consistently...

Hijack off.

allochris

Adventurer
So...where r we now? Just back in Smithers last night!!!

Last wk after I flew back to Vancouver from Montreal/Toronto for a week, I headed back up to Squamish for some mountain-biking, ski toured whistler backcountry
DSCF4128.jpg

, then & up the Cayoosh glacier at Duffy Lake Road.
DSCF4155.jpg

& drove back to Smithers for our Northern Tour coming up for April!!!

Distance covered so far in the last 2 months (~7500km):
SmitherstoVancouver.jpg

Truck celebrated its 380000km on our drive past Williams Lake too!
DSCF4199.jpg

Last edited:

allochris

Adventurer
Went up to Hudson Bay Mountain yesterday & Hankin today with 10-15cm fresh!!!

DSCF4288.jpg

DSCF4249.jpg

DSCF4240.jpg

Oh...& got to rotate my tires for the 1st time to get them ready for our possible trip up to Anchorage & Inuvik!!!

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
allochris...I did treeplanting in smithers for windfirm...Good spot to treeplant...not to hot and such a great crew to work with...they start mid may

allochris

Adventurer
It's official! Leaving Smithers 2morrow!

Trip plan for next 3 weeks time:

SmitherstoInuvik.jpg

We'll hit up:
-Ningunsaw Pass
-White Pass
-Tombstone
-Kluane National Park
-Richarson Mountain Range
-Inuvik

Hopefully truck will run smoothly on our next ~8000km...:smiley_drive:

Since I'm not building any custom campers right now & I don't know how I can link this thread to the "In Progess Expedition" Page, I will just continue posting here to keep this alive.

Last edited:

Billhilly

Adventurer
Well that should fill three weeks in!
Funny thing is that the Cassier Highway at about 750k is nearly as long as each of our islands. So to rack up 8000k down here you'd be doing a lot of trips up and down! I'm guessing once you've done the Dempster Highway you'll be eyeing up a trip to Prudhoe Bay.
I have just shown my two daughters some pictures along the Dempster and we all agree how isolated (and small!) it is down here. I have told then for a long time that i'm going to the diner at Coldfoot to have reindeer sausages. They are not impressed!

allochris

Adventurer
Finally checking in at Skagway, AK after spending 3 days skiing at Ningunsaw Pass near Bell 2, 1 day at Cassiar near Jade City, 3 days at WhitePass. We had amazing luck with weather & following winter snow. Snow condition in the alpine at amazing right now with winter conditions everywhere we went.

Tommorrow = Down day in Skagway waiting for ferry to Haines. Then we'll ski Haines Pass till Friday.

It turns out the iceroad from Inuvik to Tuk is still open usually until 3rd wk of April, so we'll extend out drive to the Beauford Sea!

Pics will come!

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I was in Skagway about a month ago, also waiting for the ferry. The whole town was pretty much shut down during the offseason, but the brewery was open(great beer and salmon sandwich).

Did you find a place to camp in Skagway? We couldn't and ended up spending a couple nights in a hotel.

-Chris

Finally checking in at Skagway, AK after spending 3 days skiing at Ningunsaw Pass near Bell 2, 1 day at Cassiar near Jade City, 3 days at WhitePass. We had amazing luck with weather & following winter snow. Snow condition in the alpine at amazing right now with winter conditions everywhere we went.

Tommorrow = Down day in Skagway waiting for ferry to Haines. Then we'll ski Haines Pass till Friday.

It turns out the iceroad from Inuvik to Tuk is still open usually until 3rd wk of April, so we'll extend out drive to the Beauford Sea!

Pics will come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner