Coleman Safari Rack at Costco for $75

Clark White

Explorer
Just got mine in today with an extension. I was excited until I went to put them together. The lower main tube on the extension doesn't quite match (maby a 1/16"?) so I just pushed and pulled a little bit to get it to go. Much to my surprise (maby I don't know my own strength?) the tube on the extension BENT! Anyone else have any issues with this rack?

DenCo40

Adventurer
Clark White said:
Just got mine in today with an extension. I was excited until I went to put them together. The lower main tube on the extension doesn't quite match (maby a 1/16"?) so I just pushed and pulled a little bit to get it to go. Much to my surprise (maby I don't know my own strength?) the tube on the extension BENT! Anyone else have any issues with this rack?

I had the same problem. I bought the extension a week later when I found one. The tubes definitely didn't match, but I took care of that problem! I used a peice of steel inside of the tube and twisted slightly to bend it to the correct spot. It took a few times but I got it....

kai38

Explorer
I just got mine today. Not a bad rack, about 1/2 the size of what I had on the FJ80. I think it will work fine on the DBL cab Tacoma.
Here are a few pictures:
6af8ce448320aa668a5dab01fcc63107.jpg

Mounts on round Yakima cross bars tight, for security I would get rid of the hand wheel to tighten the rack down & use nuts & lock washers. (it will slow them down)
458b751a02244b4902c4618266a4e048.jpg

Slanted front of the rack for the faring to mount
c1246c2b71f200770e85330921485133.jpg

A mounting idea instead of on the roof, mount it in the bed.
2f1c5f257c455175b31cd7567c1e1494.jpg

stick

Adventurer
Does the faring come with the Coleman rack? How much is the extension and how much longer does it make the rack?

kai38

Explorer
stick said:
Does the faring come with the Coleman rack? How much is the extension and how much longer does it make the rack?

The faring does come w/ the rack & the extension I think adds 22 in.
I've seen prices for the extension from $99.00 - 120.00

dnellans

Adventurer
$60 with shipping still included is pretty unbelievable! if you think you'll ever want a rack but can't justify 300+ this is about as good a deal as you'll ever find!

I got mine a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. Not being able to leave well enough alone I immediately started to hack it up by welding some 3/16th plates between the upper and lower rails to provide mounting space for a shovel and axe. I was doing everything I could with proper "technique" to weld two very different metal thicknesses but still blew through the tube in a few spots. so be very careful if you decide to weld on the rack! The welds are fairly gross due to the extreme thickness variation so i've decided to grind them and lay a 2nd bead in a few places before paint. I'll post up some pics when done.

DavidG

Adventurer
dnellans said:
$60 with shipping still included is pretty unbelievable! if you think you'll ever want a rack but can't justify 300+ this is about as good a deal as you'll ever find!

Just ordered one :)

At $60, I couldn't pass it up either...shipping alone must be close to 1/3 or more of the purchase price. I'll probably only use half of it though b/c of the RTT.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
$60! Had to do it. I can't hold out anymore! Had to get one!!:jumping:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
SOAZ said:
$60! Had to do it. I can't hold out anymore! Had to get one!!:jumping:

LOL...I just returned the brand NIB one I had just bought.

I figured I'd rather spend more money and build myself another custom one.

They are decently constructed, and will fit most peoples needs just fine.

stick

Adventurer
Geeze...for that price I'm tempted to buy one. I have my Yakima rack on the Cherokee, but I guess I could try to find a way to mount it to the Liberty or something ...

Stroketech

Extension

Does costco sell the extension too or where did you guys that bought the extension get it? I live by a costco so I might go get one if its not an internet only thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3