Critical Spares List: Discovery I

J

jeepfreak

rave fits on a iphone as a PDF?

thats cool...how do I do that?

Seems to me it would be so small you could hardly read it anyway.

What do you refer to RAVE for anyway, wiring diagrams? That's about all I use it for; wiring and torque specs. I don't have the iPhone, but it would just piss me off to fumble through wiring diagrams on my crackberry storm. I'd rather toss one of these, along with an OBD-2 cable, into the glove box or rear-seat pocket.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Thom, there are several apps that will allow you to transfer documents to the iphone over wifi or 3g. I used Readdledocs. It also has a built in pdf reader.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I keep a Haynes manual in the car for torque specs and tolerances and stuff like that. When I travel I usually have a laptop with GPS so the Rave is on that if I need the wiring diagram.

muskyman

Explorer
I have a laptop with navigation on a jotto in my disco most the time I am on the road and I do keep rave on it so I dont really "need" it on the iphone but Mikes brother steve got me addicted to the iphone so having rave on it might be novel.

Torque specs?...I dont need no stinking torque specs:rolleyes:

JSQ

Adventurer
The only thing that spices up a trip better than something interesting breaking on your truck is something interesting breaking on one of your friend's trucks.
That way you get to be a part of the problem solving, if you have the magic part or solution you're the hero and you don't have to sweat holding everyone up.

Dan Chapman doesn't get it on the challenge of doing repairs on the trail because he doesn't fourwheel more than 20 minutes from a gas station. He never has and he never will. This is the closest he'll ever come.

You have to get out there before effecting a good trail repair is something more than an annoyance. In Dan Chapman's world there are no consequences for breakage other than a short walk or just waiting for the next vehicle to roll along. That's also why he's willing to flog his truck and is always rattling off the long list of things he's broken.
Breakage is something to avoid, but when it does happen it should just be another interesting obstacle not some sign of pack weakness among your 'muddin pals.

Dan Chapman discussing packing lists for "overlanding" is about as relevant as posting picture of me going to see Amanda Blank at a hipster bar. But he'll keep on doing it, and just like with the pictures he tries posting on every bbs, no one will give a ********.

JSQ

Adventurer
I have a laptop with navigation on a jotto in my disco most the time I am on the road and I do keep rave on it so I dont really "need" it on the iphone but Mikes brother steve got me addicted to the iphone so having rave on it might be novel.

Torque specs?...I dont need no stinking torque specs:rolleyes:

I'm going to add that app. It can't hurt.
What's the downside? It takes up no space and if there's something in there you really need to find the answer to, you've got it. It's a no brainer.
I already have OBDII codes on my iPhone and a few other good tools.

Scott Brady

Founder
I'm going to add that app. It can't hurt.
What's the downside? It takes up no space and if there's something in there you really need to find the answer to, you've got it. It's a no brainer.
I already have OBDII codes on my iPhone and a few other good tools.

The RAVE works well on the iPhone. You can zoom into any details easily. I also have all of the KTM manuals on their too, which is even more convenient than the Disco (where I typically have a laptop).

I use the app "Folders" to upload the PDFs. There are many apps available for this, and others might be better.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
All the comments about enjoying fixing trucks on the trail is bull****. Being broke sucks. There is noting enjoying about it. You may not mind working on a broken truck and you may look back on the experience and be proud of what you have done. But being broke sucks.

I too have had the pleasure of meeting Jack. It was on the Rubicon trail a few years back. To say "He gets it" is an understatement. His group was on point. They were the epitome of professionalism. It didn't matter if they were finishing a field fix or making appetizer's. I wanted to defect (I should have bought D.S's D90 when he offered it to me for the very reasonable price. It would have saved me a lot of headaches and time).

My group on the other hand sucked. It was my first trip and last trip with all but one of the group members and he and I bugged out early.

Having the right people on the trip with you goes along way.

traveltoad

Aaron S
They were the epitome of professionalism. It didn't matter if they were finishing a field fix or making appetizer's.

Exactly. Does one need to be "professional" to complete the task? Of course not. But why not act professional and take pride in what you are doing... whether it be modifying your truck, maintaining your truck, executing a field repair or making dinner.

Last edited:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I don't remember exactly what Jack said, but Dmarchand's post I didn't read as enjoying the experience of a broken part, but knowing what to do ahead of time so your aren't completely stressed out so rather than him telling the maple syrup guy, "Get the %&$# out of here I'm trying to sort out a broken axle!", he was relaxed enough to stop and have a chat with him.

My point exactly. The owner of the truck is in the maple syrup picture. We were midway through changing the bearing when the local showed up. I wouldn't say the owner was "excited" about the breakage. But having a few people around who knew what to do, and the parts on hand, and a nice level, dry spot to do it, made it a nice lunch break for the rest of the convoy and a chance for the owner to take a minute, chat with a local and spend some $ to create some goodwill.

On the seal, it was the correct, newer part # and we did use the old bearing race to seat a new one. Not completely sure why it failed. Only thing I can think of was the mechanic let the caliper rest on the seal while refitting to the stub axle. The outer bearing seemed unaffected by the mud.

SKSV

For a trip with more than one vehicle I prioritize field spares as follows from most to least important:

1. STEERING

2. STOPPING

3. RUNNING

4. COOLING

This may seem like simple stuff, but it's not.

Most people, including the ones in this thread get it backwards. They're all about having a starter or alternator and they have no TREs. If you have another vehicle to extract you (preferrably two) then all you really have to be able to do is steer. It won't be pretty with steering alone, but you will get out. Dealing with a vehicle that has lost steering is next to impossible. If you're still running around with stock steering links I hope it's just to the store and back. Tires go in with steering. Remember, tire failures are still the most common offroad issue. I can't believe how many people still don't carry valve stems. Rookies.

Braking comes next because if someone is doing the good deed of pulling you along miles of trail it's nice to be courteous enough not to run into them. This is where the Land Rover powertrain actually affords you an advantage. The t-case drum brake is a very good, completely secondary, system for stopping the truck. That said, once you take driveshafts, halfshafts and CVs out of the equation that capacity is diminished.
So think about that. A u-joint may not just help you go, it may help you stop.

Getting your truck to start and run comes well after those two unless you are alone. Within this category we can further order and separate what makes your truck run and what makes it run well. That's why a crank sensor beats out the IAC. A truck can be pretty unhappy and still drive down the trail, particularly in low-box. Furthermore if you're having a running issue, but the engine is turning, LET IT RUN. Don't go shutting the thing down to diagnose, unless you know have a hell of a hunch. Keep it going. This is especially true with a gasoline EFI fuel delivery issue. It may be angry, but if you shut it down you may not get it started again.

Your last priority is keeping the engine wet. Yes, even your POS sleeve-slipping Buick 215 aluminum V8 powerplant. The truck can run without any cooling capacity other than radiation if it has to. Not for long stretches, but you can limp it for months if you're careful.

If you want to be minimalist, stop thinking in terms of pounds and size and follow these guidelines to select only what you need to make it out. This is the KISS principle for fourwheel spares. It keeps the count low and the bulk is left to necessity.

That said, in a gasoline Land Rover I bring everything that could be helpful.
Why? Because this is no ultra high speed low drag machine. It's a Land Rover. It's 5,000lb plus vehicle. You think even 200lbs in spare parts is going to make the difference? It's not.
I don't bring all the spares imaginable because the truck HAS to have a VSS to run, but because a lot of this stuff will angry up your trip in a hurry. Furthermore, there are plenty of people who maintain their truck, bring along the minimum and then when they have an issue, turn around and go home.
I'm not into that. I'd much rather have the right spare and keep on rolling and complete my trip.
Think about that again.
If I have an extra CV I can keep right on going down the challenging route I set out to do. If I have a fuel pump I can keep driving under my own power. And if my TPS goes bad i'm not sweating whether I need to turn around and go back. I'm not averse to wrenching a little on the trail. In fact, despite the lack of a lift and clean floor I enjoy it. I'd rather be out somewhere remote and beautiful changing a CV than limping back home to do it at the shop.
It's part of the fun.

This is a very helpful breakdown, thank you.

seashore

Observer
I digg the vacuum pack idea. Clever!

Do you think the bearings are an issue if maintained properly?

Ditto, and Yes:

_w5w7947_std.jpg

That particular bearing had just been replaced by a professional, and given that we had 3 more days to go, we hoped to do a careful job. It held up for the 800 mile drive home on pavement, too. Looking back I see that DM already posted this pic. Redundancy once more...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy