Disco 1 or not?

Rubicon51

Observer
Ok, please be honest.

I'm taking my kids on a 2500mile camping expedition next year and I'm looking for a vehicle. I really like the disco 1 I've always wanted one and I think that they are an icon for expedition/camping. I like all of the glass and the way you sit up in the cab. My budget is about 3500, I don't plan on buying anything that is just reay to go, what ever I get i know there will be some work involved in getting everything right.

My worry, after reading through this forum and others I've come to a conclusion everyone seems to love them or really hate them. I'm worried about the relability with a disco. I have know problem with maintenance, and getting things right that the previous owner may have neglected, but that comes with any vehicle. But the horror stories I've heard about the disco 1 are bad. So I want an honest opinion: buy a disco 1 or stay away from them.

How bad is the reliability issue with a disco 1? If I get one and get everything right when I get it is it going to be something failing on it all the time? Would you guys buy a disco 1 and take it on a 2500mile journey with your kids?

Thanks
Just to include the other vehicles i'm looking at are a 3rd gen trooper, jeep cherokee, and a 4runner. If you guys have any other vihcles that you think I should look at please tell me.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
for the most part they will get you there and back. I would pack a fuel pump and a have a hard look at the ECU before I set off on an adventure but its only 2500 miles not a trip around the world.

tinker trek

Observer
delete this thread and search.

That is rude, why don't we just delete 90% of all the posts on this forum?

Rubicon51, I have a 96 Disco that I took on a 1800 mile trip last summer with my two kids. I had no problem, just remember these do take a lot of maintenance. Don't just buy one & jump in it.
If you get one drive it for a few months before you go out on your big adventure. Learn what it needs and make those repairs & change fuilds etc..
Like you would with any truck. Good luck.

Scott Brady

Founder
How old are your kids? I am assuming there are four of you in the vehicle? The Disco might be a little small for that. Maybe find a RRC LWB. Those are very cool trucks. You might be able to score an 80 series TLC for about $4,000, and it is a bigger truck and would likely be more problem free.

With it being such a long and cool trip planned, I would try to leave little to chance and go with as reliable of a truck as possible.

I've always been a big fan of the Discos but like you have always been put off by the idea of the unreliability of the discos. If you want another vehicle that pulls in the cool factor, look at the 60 series Land Cruisers.

I had narrowed it down between a 60 and a first gen 4runner, but went with the 4runner for a couple reasons... its smaller, more economical (gas mileage and cheaper purchase price.) Maybe for you a 60 would work for you?!?

Such a cool looking truck!
fj60ft4lift.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, please be honest.

I'm taking my kids on a 2500mile camping expedition next year and I'm looking for a vehicle. I really like the disco 1 I've always wanted one and I think that they are an icon for expedition/camping. I like all of the glass and the way you sit up in the cab. My budget is about 3500, I don't plan on buying anything that is just reay to go, what ever I get i know there will be some work involved in getting everything right.

My worry, after reading through this forum and others I've come to a conclusion everyone seems to love them or really hate them. I'm worried about the relability with a disco. I have know problem with maintenance, and getting things right that the previous owner may have neglected, but that comes with any vehicle. But the horror stories I've heard about the disco 1 are bad. So I want an honest opinion: buy a disco 1 or stay away from them.

How bad is the reliability issue with a disco 1? If I get one and get everything right when I get it is it going to be something failing on it all the time? Would you guys buy a disco 1 and take it on a 2500mile journey with your kids?

Thanks
Just to include the other vehicles i'm looking at are a 3rd gen trooper, jeep cherokee, and a 4runner. If you guys have any other vihcles that you think I should look at please tell me.

:coffee:my dad has an fj80. he's done a lot of maintenence and has had issues with the O/D on the trans and the locker/transfer case solonoids.

:coffee:I have an xj and I've replaced the radiator, tps sensor, need to put a new muffler, new steering joints and fresh suspension.

:coffee:i had a 1st gen 4runner that went through starters and alternators like candy, but had no other issues, but I could get out and run faster going up a hill

:coffee:I had an isuzu trooper that cracked its front a-arms and started using/leaking oil like crazy.

Point is:
EVERY VEHICLE has issues.
EVERY VEHICLE requires maintenence.
EVERY VEHICLE needs to be picked to suit your needs and family size.
EVERY VEHICLE is either simple or complex in one way or another...Keep It Simple, Stupid (K.I.S.S) as much as you can.

Those are the only 4 hard and fast rules out there, IMO, after years of vehicle ownership.

Disco 1's are safe, quiet, with strong drivetrains. The car you buy is GOING to have issues.

-Walk-around with checklist in hand for specific vehicle.
-Maintenence records MUST be available
-Carfax is very helpful
-Pre-Purchase inspection by a trusted mechanic is worth the $50.00-100.00

I like answering this question. that other guy has his panties in a bunch for no reason. happy new year. :victory:

Rubicon51

Observer
How old are your kids? I am assuming there are four of you in the vehicle? The Disco might be a little small for that. Maybe find a RRC LWB. Those are very cool trucks. You might be able to score an 80 series TLC for about $4,000, and it is a bigger truck and would likely be more problem free.

With it being such a long and cool trip planned, I would try to leave little to chance and go with as reliable of a truck as possible.

My kids are 11 and 7. There will only be three in the LR. I've looked at some fj80's and they just don't strike me as the LR.

Rubicon51

Observer
I've always been a big fan of the Discos but like you have always been put off by the idea of the unreliability of the discos. If you want another vehicle that pulls in the cool factor, look at the 60 series Land Cruisers.

I had narrowed it down between a 60 and a first gen 4runner, but went with the 4runner for a couple reasons... its smaller, more economical (gas mileage and cheaper purchase price.) Maybe for you a 60 would work for you?!?

Such a cool looking truck!
fj60ft4lift.jpg

I also like the 60 and 62's I had made my mind up on a 1988 62. But the more I looked and thought about it, I don't really want to get back into something that is going to have alot of rust and body repair to be done. There hard to find in my budget with minimal baody problems. They do have a big cool factor though. That is a good looking 60

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I think you'll be fine with a well maintained Disco I. There are several in my Land Rover club and they see tons of miles without any problems.

Rubicon51

Observer

I've thought about the RRC, but I dont know how it compares to the disco 1 for offroad capability. I like the 95' RRC, with a coil spring suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven