Don't flame... BUT is the Wrangler the new Defender for the U.S. ???

zelatore

Explorer
That's a shame. How do you substantiate this fear? I have yet to hear of an LR3 leaving someone stranded, dying of dehydration in Death Valley, even though many would have you believe they are prone to do so.

I'm interested in this too.

Though I suppose it depends on how one defines 'very remote places'. I'd take mine pretty much anywhere in the US, but it wouldn't be my first choice for crossing Africa. Not that I have any plans to cross Africa, so that works out pretty well for me... :)

I've know three break-downs of LR3/4s in our club. I had a suspension compressor fail and drop me to the bump stops. It had given me warning and I planned to do it when I got back from the trip anyway. I was still mobile, but rubbing due to the larger tire I run.
We had a club member with a 100K+ mile LR3 loose the plastic bleeder valve in the coolant line beside the thermostat and overheat the truck. He was able to stuff a bic pen body in it and make-do to get home where he replaced it with a brass part.
We had a realatively low mile LR4 develop an air leak and drop to the bump stops in the back country. He was still able to drive with minimal rubbing to the nearest city but then had it flatbedded the 200 miles home since he had his young daughter with him and didn't want her to suffer through several hours of bouncing on the bumps.

None of these stopped the vehicle dead. I know the LR3/4 might not be the worlds most reliable vehicle, but it's not all that bad either. The same truck developed the air leak was in Death Valley for a week earlier this year with no problems.

brushogger

Explorer
I have to mildly disagree with you on this. Being part of past SCARR committee and a volunteer last year, we always emphasize safety for the drivers, passenger and vehicles. We make sure the trails are cleaned and safe for the newer and older vehicles. The last thing we don't need as organizers of SCARR is to have participants complain on how their vehicles were damaged. We always strive to get as many people and trucks. Having said that we run the trails prior to SCARR not just once but a few times. Me personally on my LR3 have run those trails numerous times. Also if you were following an LR3 with 20" tire clearly the driver of that vehicle is someone who is very inexperience as LR3 has never been sold with 20" factory tires.

I was referring to the 20" wheels on the current model Rovers, and referencing what I personally witnessed at SCARR 3 years ago. I saw 2 factory mounted spare tires torn off, some exhaust parts, and plastic bumper bits. The drivers may have been in over their heads, but there were bone stock d2's that left no pieces behind. Not all the trail riding at SCARR is "official". I don't remember if this was an "official" run or not. We did both. As far as people complaining about damage, that always a potential hazard when off roading on low traction surfaces. If one is going to complain to the promoter about that, he shouldn't be out there. The owner/driver is the judge of whether to take on the obstacle. The event I attended was at Hidden Falls. There were many trails there ranging from easy to crazy. They can't all be made clean and safe. Don't get me wrong. The event was very well run and we had a great time. If I still had a Rover I would definitely go back. My original comment was just referencing current and future Rover products. After seeing how Land Rover refused to stand behind their products even after issuing TSB's on known catastrophic problems (oil pumps, etc) I would never own another.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The recent trend of crapping on Land Rover as a brand and their newer products as vehicles is becoming pretty obnoxious in this forum.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Pretty simple-

The recent trend of crapping on Land Rover as a brand and their newer products as vehicles is becoming pretty obnoxious in this forum.

Just join the JEEP CLUB-no difference in treatment-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
That's a shame. How do you substantiate this fear? I have yet to hear of an LR3 leaving someone stranded, dying of dehydration in Death Valley, even though many would have you believe they are prone to do so.

Ehh... I wouldn't say stranded, but my buddy had to walk several miles to get someone to come help him in a failed suspension'd LR3.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Incurable air bag deflation....IID tool probably could have saved it but they didn't have one and no resetting/cures were working

zelatore

Explorer
Interesting. The LR4 I referenced earlier that had a suspension failure was on 265/65/18 BFGs and was still able to drive out on the bump stops with only very minor rubbing. We aren't talking super technical stuff to get out, but there were a few wash-outs that he had to pay attention to get through. Once up to the gravel roads, then the paved roads, he was able to run as fast as he needed. He didn't even wear through the inner fender liner, just rubbed it a bit near the body seam at the back as per the usual.

roverandom

Adventurer
I have nearly 300,000km on my LR3 and it still runs like a top. Of all the Land Rovers I've ever owned the LR3 has been the most reliable by a long way.

Plus it's not rusting away, interior self destructing and throwing electrical fits all the time....in fact it still looks quite smart.

dwvninety

Observer
Let's just say from experience that the air suspension failed and caused the truck to drop to bump stops on a very rocky terrain. The truck lowered itself on the rocks so it would have caused considerable damage to try and drive it out. The computer was reset with a scan tool but immediately dropped down again. We had to wait about 40 minutes and tried to reset it again. This time it worked. Took it to Land Rover Dallas for service and found out that the vehicle had to have a software update. And this was at a local OHV park not somewhere inside the Cayonlands.

As far as crapping on Land Rover products, no I own 3 of them.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Indeed.

On a more positive note Jason, I found some old photos of your Series from the LR 50th anniversary event at Greek Peak NY the other day. Will have to scan them in and send them off to you.

roverandom

Adventurer
Let's just say from experience that the air suspension failed and caused the truck to drop to bump stops on a very rocky terrain. The truck lowered itself on the rocks so it would have caused considerable damage to try and drive it out. The computer was reset with a scan tool but immediately dropped down again. We had to wait about 40 minutes and tried to reset it again. This time it worked. Took it to Land Rover Dallas for service and found out that the vehicle had to have a software update. And this was at a local OHV park not somewhere inside the Cayonlands.

As far as crapping on Land Rover products, no I own 3 of them.

I should probably admit that I have converted my 300,000km LR3 to coil springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven