Ever see one of these?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Mitsubishi "Space Gear" 2400:

SGEAR02.jpg

SGEAR01.jpg

SGEAR04.jpg

We had one of these in Kuwait in 2004. I presume the 2400 refers to the engine size. 5 speed with a 2 speed transfer case - the running gear seems very similar to the Mitsubishi pickups of the late 90's (not the Dodge copies they sell in the US now.) It was actually a fun little vehicle to drive. Engine was gas, not diesel (Kuwait seems to buck the trend of much of the world, gas is the most common type of engine, probably because gasoline is so cheap there.)

Would probably make a pretty decent expedition vehicle if you could find one in the US.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mitsu 4x4 van

Mitsubishi imported an earlier version of the 4x4 van to USA back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It looked like the box the SpaceGear model is shipped in! A friend had one to take his kayaks down to the water's edge. It was pretty close to unstoppable on any two-track.

Mitsubishi sells 4x4 vans in many Asian and European countries. They're called L300, L400, Delica and SpaceGear (the name's probably a takeoff on the Renault Espace, a popular European van model).

According to the Wikipedia page about these vans, the fourth generation Delica was based on the Mitsu Pajero (aka Montero in USA), so it had very capable 4x4 running gear, including low range and locking diffs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Delica

None of these models have been imported to USA for many years.

Chip Haven

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hmmm...the only 4wd minivan I ever remember seeing in the US was the Toyota from circa 1987-91 or so. Don't ever remember seeing a Mitsu van.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Shovel said:
astro, aerostar, mazda MPV, trans-sport, vanagon syncro.... ;)

I meant a 4wd van based on a truck chassis, not an AWD van, which is what our Space Gear was.

Was the Synchro ever even imported to the US? I know there are a few around but I assumed they are all gray-market imports.

Fishenough

Creeper
There was a statistics of how many Mitsubishi vans were sold in the USA on the web, and it's was quite a low number. All models sold in North America having 2wd and gas engines.

If interested there are many Delica forums (the Taiwanese forum has fantastic mods, intercoolers, lockers, lifts, etc);

Friendly helpful Aussie forum - www.delicaclub.com

Friendly helpful UK forum - www.mdocuk.co.uk

The newbies, the Canadian forum - www.delica.ca

The Mitsubishi Space Gear 2400 is a L400 with the small gas engine; also available are a V6 and a 2.8 diesel. Most importantly all forums agree that the L300 (86-94) is more capable and durable offroad (my L300 with LSD can climb steeps that'll stop stock Toy's (no e-locker) and domestic P/Us). The L400 does have more power and better highway manners with it's more conventional platform. Most Canadian Delica say they prefer the L300, which for now is all we have to choose from. Website to keep 15 year imports available in Canada.

Best Regards,
Kev

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Here's some pics.
Recently the owner of an aluminium canopy manufacturing company took a 4x4 synchro version of the double cab shown here and built a full camper for the back, with integrated fold out tent on top. Unfortunately i've mislaid my copy of the magazine with the pics. he did the whole Botswana thing with it and got stuck in sand once.

Oh yes. Just to make you really freak out. They are turbo diesel

pic_index.jpg

pic_index.jpg

chet

island Explorer
the 1990 to 1992 Delicas are everywhere up here now! RHD and from Japan. I see at least one a day. cool rigs. stout drivetrain and engine.

Fishenough

Creeper
Just as a tease I had to post pictures of the 'Mystery Machine' (A real Bristol Machine). They are posted plenty everywhere so I know he won't mind, he's our England to Canada tech support guru; and some time guest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh