Expeditions West XV-JP Testing and Build Thread

kcowyo

ExPo Original
expeditionswest said:
I think the screen room hanging from the back will be key, as it will allow all-weather and all-bug cooking and relaxing.

The heater rocks, and easily keeps the entire tent cozy, even on setting 1.

I guess the most important thing is that the camper works with two people, now we just need to work on our gear lists and organization strategies. That is the key to a relaxing trip and happy travel partners.

Agreed.

And good call on the screen room too. Many times in inclement weather, I've wished we had an additional screen room like the Paha Que SUV tent mentioned in the first Overland Journal. As nice as the interior space is, and it doesn't look much different than the FWC's interior space, sometimes a little more room is necessary. Especially during meal prep. As my Mom used to say, "This is a one butt kitchen!"

I'm not sure how much you'll use the heater down south, but it is my favorite accessory. There is nothing better than waking up on a chilly morning and reaching out from your bag and flipping the thermostat on. Five minutes later, voila!, a nice warm room to change in and get breakfast going. I know your loyalty to the fridge, but there are times when one would chose a warm camper over a cold beverage. Blasphemy, I know. ;)

ventura911

Adventurer
Scott, I'm curious how you and others are going to stow heavy / dirty recovery gear inside. I wouldn't want to store such items in the overhead area. Have you come up with a solution?

Does the screen room work well with the rear tire carrier / rack set-up?

Oh, and is there a rain fly for the tent?

Hope you're going to be at the Off Road Expo in Pomona. If so, please advise the date(s).

Thanks for the info!
Kevin

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
I am currently sitting out a rainstorm in Leadville... So far, so good.

Will try to post some images, once the sun comes back out. :)

My initial impressions are good, and I have been surprised by the usability of the interior space. More than enough for one person, and the bed is very comfortable with the unique box spring and memory-foam mattress.

I ran the heater last night too, which easily kept off the 35 degree chill in the air outside. The 85 watt solar panel and (2) group 31 batteries have kept up with the fridge, heater blower and the laptop for a few days now. The mobile office is in operation!

aren't you going to be travelling with two people, though?

:oops:...lol.

Scott Brady

Founder
BIGdaddy said:
aren't you going to be travelling with two people, though?

:oops:...lol.

Yep, and I just posted (a few posts back) my impressions on traveling with two people in the ER. More than adequate, in fact, Stephanie was quite happy with everything.

Scott Brady

Founder
ventura911 said:
Scott, I'm curious how you and others are going to stow heavy / dirty recovery gear inside. I wouldn't want to store such items in the overhead area. Have you come up with a solution?

Does the screen room work well with the rear tire carrier / rack set-up?

I plan to store tools and recovery gear under the front seats, which fortunately, has a surprising amount of room. The rest (and spares) will be stored on the rear Wilderness rack.

As we will have a minimum of three vehicles along, we are going to spread tools and spares and recovery equipment out amongst the rigs. i.e., one hi-lift, one PullPal, etc.

ventura911 said:
Oh, and is there a rain fly for the tent?
Kevin

Currently, the tent has no fly, only waterproofing. I think it needs a fly, and ER is planning to offer one at some point, hopefully before we leave for SA

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Yep, and I just posted (a few posts back) my impressions on traveling with two people in the ER. More than adequate, in fact, Stephanie was quite happy with everything.

lol... i see that now, scott....i'm a retard

i musta been typing with my eyes closed.

take it from me, the screen room is a good idea. i've travelled a lot by boat around our great west coast and lemme tell ya, wimmen's need there space.

even with 40 foot catalina to spread out on, i had to circle the wagons more than once to prevent being shot by the natives...lol. :REOutArchery02:

Willman

expeditionswest said:
Currently, the tent has no fly, only waterproofing. I think it needs a fly, and ER is planning to offer one at some point, hopefully before we leave for SA

I was wondering the same thing away back on this thread!

A fly would be a must have!!!

Thanks for the update!...Glad the boss is happy......that is what counts!

Can't wait to see XV-JP all stickered up!!!!!

:)

jdemonto

Recently I have seen one of these Earthroamers and wow they are sweet! Very well thought out and very well constructed. Have any more pics?

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

pangaea

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I guess the most important thing is that the camper works with two people, now we just need to work on our gear lists and organization strategies. That is the key to a relaxing trip and happy travel partners.

Thanks for letting me crawl around in the truck before you guys took it back to AZ. I was very impressed with the truck. Great build quality, well thought out design, super cool features. The only challenge that I can see is what you mentioned gear and organization.

My impression is that in order to build the vehicle to live in it (rather than out of it, like many expedition vehicles), some compromises have to be made in terms of storage solutions and also just plain storage volume available. That would be a bit of a tough one for me, since my wife tells me that I pack like a girl.

But if adventurers travel around the world out of a pair of panniers on a bike, I'm sure it can be done, it'll just take a bit more thought and discipline.

Scott, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting out of the new ride? I only ask because I currently have a JK and average around 18 and am curious to see how the modifications change the mileage.

thanks!

Scott Brady

Founder
Milehi explorer said:
Scott, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting out of the new ride? I only ask because I currently have a JK and average around 18 and am curious to see how the modifications change the mileage.

thanks!

It is a bit early to say for sure, but I expect the mileage to be around 16 on average and maybe into the 17-18 range at sustained 55-60mph speeds

Coming back from Denver, towing a trailer with the KTM, we averaged 14.8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk