For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I doubt it's " the open carry mentality". I'd wager it's more of the "I'm tired of people questioning how I go about exercising my legal 2nd ammmendment right" mentality.

I'm a firm believer in the biggest reason people have issue with people open carrying is because 1) so few people exercise their right to do so and, 2) the media has conditioned people to think that there are 2 kinds of people carrying firearms, LEOs and bad guys. If you aren't wearing a uniform and are carrying a gun, you must be one of the bad guys, because that is almost all they ever show.

If the millions of people who legally own a firearm all decided to open carry those firearms, and do it all day every day, pretty soon people would pay as much attention to it as they do to someone carrying a cell phone. For this reason I have mixed feelings on general open carry. In today's society with today's attitudes, you set yourself up as a potential target by the real bad guys and you set yourself up as a potential target of John Q who wants to confront you because he thinks you have some kind of personality disorder for walking around "flashing" your weapon. A mindset already born out in this very thread. But...these open carry folks could be setting the example. Tomorrow there's more, the day after that more again, till eventually you reach that tipping point where open carry is so prevelant it's just another thing.

In all honesty I doubt that will ever occur for the simple fact I don't believe there are enough people who give a hoot about it to engage in it, but I can't really fault those that do.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
"Our society is built on generalizations and stereotypes. By open carrying you are associated with that."

sigh. sadly, one can be right and oh so wrong at the same time.

MOguy

Explorer
Our society is built on generalizations and stereotypes. By open carrying you are associated with that.

In YOUR society. Open carry isn't an issue in my society. I have relatives that live in New England and I live in Missouri. Our societies are very different.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I think we have establish I know squat about firearms. So when I noticed an older man standing in front of me at the bank with a pistol on his hip, the hammer pulled back, I thought I'd simply say, "excuse me sir, I don't know anything about firearms, but is the hammer supposed to be pulled back on your pistol."

His reply, "Yes, it makes it faster for me to shoot you."

Lovely answer. Pretty much summed up the entire exchange and who we both are as people.

Why would you carry a gun if you didn't want to be ready to shot someone or something?

MOguy

Explorer
Bingo. Open carry mentality.

Exactly, you are starting to understand. You don't carry a gun around unless you are ready to use it. You may carry it around for self defense and never need it but you have to be ready in case. If you aren't ready to use your gun you shouldn't carry it.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I can see ya'll are cowboy'd up now.... be careful walking in those spurs. For the record I'm not suggesting any rights be infringed upon I'm just stating its preposterously asinine to open carry. Not one of you has provided an actual reason for doing so aside from "because I can".

MOguy

Explorer
I can see ya'll are cowboy'd up now.... be careful walking in those spurs. For the record I'm not suggesting any rights be infringed upon I'm just stating its preposterously asinine to open carry. Not one of you has provided an actual reason for doing so aside from "because I can".

Why the derogatory comment? It may be asinine in your world but we all don't live in your world. Try being a little less judgmental of others. Open you mind and be more tolerant of others.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
For one it's easier/more comfortable for me to open carry vs. hiding my weapon. Is that enough?

Scott Brady

Founder
Whatever you consider them to be, why would you confront someone carrying a deadly weapon openly, assuming it is loaded and assuming that person has had training on how to use that weapon? Given that, why would you even make those assumptions?

That is the mistaken assumption most open carriers make. They believe it is a show of force. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. The criminal will just shoot you in the back when you are not looking. Open carry = Giant target and tactically unsound practice in an urban scenario. Just a fact.

I would rather be unarmed than open carry in an urban setting.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That is the mistaken assumption most open carriers make. They believe it is a show of force. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. The criminal will just shoot you in the back when you are not looking. Open carry = Giant target and tactically unsound practice in an urban scenario. Just a fact.

I would rather be unarmed than open carry in an urban setting.
A criminal is not looking for a civilian with a gun on his side, and would never noticed unless he was astute enough to really be thinking/scoping things out. Bad guys are just looking to a get some money and run. You are giving them way too much credit, plus I don't think there has been such a documented scenario like you have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz