Mitsu Fuso Camper examples

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Hi Lynn. How are you? So far most of the crewcabs I've seen on the standard wheelbase have been only set up to sleep 2 inside. You're right >> They don't leave alot of chassis left for a camper body that's big enough to sleep a family anyway. The only way I could see you sleeping a family is if all your cooking and dining was done outside and inside was just bunks , storage and possibly a shower.

BTW Sorry for just dumping pics on without info. If I ever get the opportunity to gain internal access then I will take pics. I did post some interior crewcab camper pics a couple of pages back though.

Kind regards John.

Doin' well John.

Thanks for that. I did see the pix you posted up previously, and I thank you for all the photos. Plus, the info you have provided here and other places is priceless.

Don't mean to hijack this thread any further, but I think member Itinerrant has about the most compact, space utilizing, family of five, camp-in-not-beside, floorplan I've seen. They're using the MAN chassis, though, so a little bigger than the typical Fuso rig...

So, in your experience, those folks traveling two-up in a crewcab, are they using the crewcab for external (to the cabin) storage space? Or want extra passenger seating for occasional use? I guess I'm having trouble understanding why one would choose to trade cabin space for 'unused' passenger space.

However, having a family of four and a desire to take 'em to far-off places, if there are any Hollywood* floorplans out there, I'd certainly like to see 'em.

*Ever notice how RVs in movies are a lot bigger on the inside then the outside?

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So, in your experience, those folks traveling two-up in a crewcab, are they using the crewcab for external (to the cabin) storage space?
Yes. Sometimes.

Or want extra passenger seating for occasional use?
Yes , like grandkids or even for their dogs. So where do the grandkids sleep???>> under the annexe in a tent , I guess.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding why one would choose to trade cabin space for 'unused' passenger space.

Me too. We did see a crewcab ahwile ago that was very well set up for a family but the chassis was stretched along way. Not the sort of thing you'd take down a bush track.

*Ever notice how RVs in movies are a lot bigger on the inside then the outside?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. What's with that? How was that under floor command centre in the RV that De Niro had in "Meet the Fokkers"?
See ya mate.

Amesz00

Adventurer
One would need a rather long ladder to get into bed.

mm swag please!
Interesting to note where they've mounted the spare wheel, like on the unimogs and MANs from factory- space i would have thought better used (especially on a shorty) for a fuel tank. just my opinion though...

1Engine

Observer
mm swag please!
Interesting to note where they've mounted the spare wheel, like on the unimogs and MANs from factory- space i would have thought better used (especially on a shorty) for a fuel tank. just my opinion though...

That is the mounting for the spare for the factory tipper models

Amesz00

Adventurer
That is the mounting for the spare for the factory tipper models

Ahh true. feel like i should know that..
still think its space better used for a fuel tank on a offroad camping truck.

unkamonkey

Explorer
My neighbors saw this down in Yuma AZ today, might be AZ plates?
AZmitsu.jpg

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
Found the black NPS crew down by the beach on Australia Day, had a good chat about his rig. He loves it.
ATW are doing interesting things to it in time, he said he is waiting on his SWC wheels to be chromed :Wow1:

The white camper just pulled over in front of me & I could not resist stopping & having a chat. He has been on the road for just on 9 years with only a couple of problems with the Isuzu. I told him about this site hopefully he will join the Portal & share more of his interesting times.

Cheers
David

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49195

Attachments

• NPS Crew.jpg
    NPS Crew.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 300
  • NPS300.jpg
    NPS300.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Hi David ,

These guys must be hanging around the Gold Coast for a while. This is the same truck that was in the Gold Coast Isuzu workshop. The pics back on page 18 were taken a couple of months back. Hope we see 'em on the forum. I had a close look. Very interesting vehicle.

5266187888_6ba75cae19_z.jpg

Yeah, Mick's black crew cab is going to look very trick in the end.

Fuso maru

fuso maru

My neighbors saw this down in Yuma AZ today, might be AZ plates?
AZmitsu.jpg

the fuso posted is from B.C. Canada, The unit was built as a removable module,it has four happyjacks so the carrier can drive away leaving the camper at site.When the camper is not on the truck it is used as a dumper and maintanes roads and hauls mostly building materials.
By using a flatdeck that dumps makes it far more economical giveing it dual perpose.The extra weight of the dump has given it supriseing stability in winds.
The camper has solar panels on the roof,which are protected by roof rails and a storage box.Two panels power two batteries that keep up with the lights and an engle fridge/freezer.
The unit is heated by a Dickinson propane boat heater.Great unit with a window like a fireplace.The chimney is double walled and draws air doun the outside tube and exits fumes out of the middle tube..
The camper has a sink and no toilet or smellies.Two beds one removable so the camper can still haul payloads,usually from auctions that the owner is addicted to
The camper was built was built useing used aluminium purchased at scap prices when metal prices crashed.The finishing was done with stuff from auctions and marine exchanges.
Enjoying the fuso and its multy uses.See you in the States again.Great portal,it really helped me with planning.
Larry at DSS Welding did the fabrication and would love to build more,Recomend him highly.He is located in Duncan. Fuso Maru

VicHanson

Adventurer
Unfortunately I didn't get a photo but I recently saw an FG in Quartzsite AZ with a little wooden cabin on the back, complete with shingles on the roof if I remember right. Anyone else seen it or know who it belongs to?
Vic

bptp7270

Adventurer
Not an FG, but interesting none the less. This very impressive MAN was visiting our park in Tasmania, all the way from Germany. He may have a few clearance problems with some of our tracks. After finishing in Tasmania, the owner was hoping to eventually find his way up the telegraph track on cape york.

Attachments

• CIMG0123.jpg
    CIMG0123.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 200

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
Found this very nice European camper in one of the car parks along the Great Ocean Road Victoria.
I was not impressed to see a tiny blond lady access our drivers side (girls do not drive big trucks like this one i said to my self). As i got on the other side i found a very large man holding the steering wheel, he was happy for me to snap the images.

Cheers
David

Attachments

• Man front.JPG
    Man front.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Man rear.JPG
    Man rear.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 287

whatcharterboat

Hi David,

That's Heinz's LE.10. He came in to get some suspension and electronics work done on it before Xmas. Nice guy. Swiss. Very well travelled truck obviously. That thing has a really cool trailbike garage in the back too with like a pull out gantry that you can lower the bike from.
5445020580_b79227306a_z.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk