Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

thetruenorth

Im located in Saskatchewan, Canada (Middle of the prairies). Most shop here only do truck lifts. Would prefer central or west coast north america shop.

stevehs

I can't speak to the LR3 seats, but my '04 Disco is no comparison to my '12 LR4, in fact I think the LR4 is better in almost every way. I have owned a few Land Rovers, (3 Classic RR's, '94 D-90, '04 Disco) and now the LR4. I thought my '95 RR Classic was the most comfortable, but I have to say, the LR4 is my favorite, on & off road. I have to agree on the tire size issue, seems LR either doesn't care or doesn't see the need. Just curious, what do you like better about the earlier Disco's interior? I actually like the LR4 interior much better, especially the flat folding rear seats, in addition, I like the storage space between the 2nd row seats and 3rd row seats, on the floor board underneath the seats. After reading your post, I'm curious why you invested in the LR3 instead of the Toyota?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Im located in Saskatchewan, Canada (Middle of the prairies). Most shop here only do truck lifts. Would prefer central or west coast north america shop.

There are two LR dealers in Minnesota
http://www.landroverusa.com/national-dealer-locator.html?region=MN&filter=All

As well as a fairly active Land Rover Owners club that might give you some more targeted recommendations:
http://www.mnlandrovers.org/

And for older models, there is Mountain Rovers in Billings, Montana:
http://www.mountainrovers.com/what/what.htm

aek50

Adventurer
In Minnesota for late model trucks or after market mods your best bet is Expedition Autoworks located in St. Louis Park, a suburb of Minneapolis.

www.expeditionautoworks.com They specialize in Land Rovers and are enthusiasts themselves. Owner Eric Paavola is arguably the most experience Rover tech in the upper midwest.

stevehs

Hi Axel,

I am getting the LR3 wheels and BFGs 165/65r18 installed tomorrow so will update you. I just don't get how some folks (eg expeditionportal LR4 project) are fine with 30mm spacers and LR3 wheels and require no trimming of the caliper while some are having issues. Also your tires have smaller diameter than David's BFGs but it seems like you are experiencing some serious rubbing issues while he didn't. Very confusing as once you install the wheels it shouldn't matter whether you are having LR3 or compo wheels....

Any ideas as to the reasons for such differences?

Could it have anything to do with "Johnson rods"?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Could it have anything to do with "Johnson rods"?

I'd doubt that because using the GAP tool also raises it up more.

About the caliper clearance, if it's close, then the type of LR3 wheel chosen could be the reason just as the manufacturing batch of the calipers. I have 4 sets of wheels and three different types. The oldest 5 spoke, the same era "flat" 10 spoke, and the 2007 HSE "fluted" or slotted 10 spoke.

Of these the inside surface of the wheel is slightly different, i.e. different mold shape. The slotted 10 is the lightest, by a few -4-5 lbs actually. Offsets should be identical but the interior shape of the spokes and the barrel would matter if the caliper is only a few mm away. Wheel weight placement would be important too obviously.

andyreeves8803

Sir, Brand new to this forum. Read through several of the pages on this thread before posting. Apologize if I missed answer to my question: Did you start with a BASE LR4, HSE or LUX? I ask because I like all the features (memory seats, etc) of the LUX package for my everyday 50 mile commute but wonder if you (or your readers) prefer to start with the LR4 BASE model (i.e., sans options) when building an "expedition" LR4. Does heavy off-roading increase the chance of breaking some of the luxury functions of a loaded vehicle since I know it can nickel and dime you to death fixing them once they do start to go. Hope that makes sense. Thank you. Andy

Mako1114

Adventurer
Are the aluminum sliders on the OJ LR4 custom or off the shelf? If the latter, please advise who manufactures/sells them.

Cheers

Jwestpro

Explorer
Are the aluminum sliders on the OJ LR4 custom or off the shelf? If the latter, please advise who manufactures/sells them.

Cheers

The only aluminum "sliders" I am aware of are those made by Rasta (sold on Expedition Exchange) and they are not really "sliders" so much but more of a solid sill protector upgrade from the plastic factory version. Not that they wouldn't be strong, but they only cover a few inches such that any side approaching obstacle would not be held away from the door and obstacles from below could easily get caught in the cavity left unprotected between the sill and frame (like where the compressor and tank are located)

Mako1114

Adventurer
The only aluminum "sliders" I am aware of are those made by Rasta (sold on Expedition Exchange) and they are not really "sliders" so much but more of a solid sill protector upgrade from the plastic factory version. Not that they wouldn't be strong, but they only cover a few inches such that any side approaching obstacle would not be held away from the door and obstacles from below could easily get caught in the cavity left unprotected between the sill and frame (like where the compressor and tank are located)

I am pretty sure they are Terrafirma sliders after performing a little more research.

Cheers

Mako1114

Adventurer
Yeah, they are TerraFirma sliders from Lucky8

Thanks for the confirmation, Scott. I just bought the wife a 2012 LR4 and while it won't be wheeled, I would prefer sliders to conventional steps. Do you feel the Tree Bar on Terrafirma sliders extend outboard far enough to provide an adequate step?

Cheers

A.J.M

Explorer
I have Terrafirma rock/tree sliders on my D3.

Imho, having gone from the factory side steps to them, i have lost about 2 inches of step and feel they don't give enough room to be an adequate step.

I have long considered cutting the bars off and getting them remade with the extra width but also length as they don't protect the lower front wings areas.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I have Terrafirma rock/tree sliders on my D3.

Imho, having gone from the factory side steps to them, i have lost about 2 inches of step and feel they don't give enough room to be an adequate step.

I have long considered cutting the bars off and getting them remade with the extra width but also length as they don't protect the lower front wings areas.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely insightful.

Cheers

Jwestpro

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely insightful.

Cheers

Regarding the depth of available "step" area, the Rover Specialties design I have seem perfectly adequate but I feel like I've seen similar designs in regard to the step depth. Maybe Tactical Rovers ?

Either way, I think one of the smaller makers would likely be able to do a custom set for you if desired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven