The Great Camp Chair Debate

Honu

lost on the mainland
thanks ditto :)
like to see a pro con list :)

I see these chairs or a exact look alike on Asian blogs a lot
curious do you have a link to them ? the table seems pretty nice
we have some REI cloth ones but think I want a hard table rather than a soft ?

^ nice review Honu.

I got my Remington Furniture chairs and table last night when I got home from work. I set them up right in the living room for my testing lol Keep in mind I don't have any extensive frame of reference when it comes to camping chairs since we've been using the $15 generic folding camping chairs. However, I have sat in the ARB chairs and a couple of others. I always wanted something low...they just look more comfortable.

Pros:
- very light weight for being wood construction. The set of two chairs and the table came in at only about 17lbs on my bathroom scale
- love the low height because I can stretch my legs out without needing an ottoman
- love the recline position/angle
- the table is well matched in height to the chairs
- very easy to fold out and fold back up
- fold flat so you can store light stuff on top or you can wedge them between stuff vertically
- $100 for a set of two chairs and a table is steal

Cons:
- perhaps a cushion might help if you're going to sit in them to read a long novel but for the 5mins I sat in the chairs they were quite comfortable and supportive

The first time the gf tried the chair she sat on the edge of it which naturally tipped it forward. I asked her what she thought of it and she said she likes it but wasn't sure about being so low to the ground. I explained to her that she can stretch her legs out and see if she finds it more comfortable compared to our other camping chairs where your butt sinks into the seat like a sack of potatoes and your legs dangle pretty much straight towards the ground. She liked the fact that they are reclined which feels more comfortable.

All in all I'm more than satisfied with them and I can even see myself using them in the front or our backyard.

B23E4FDE-9B26-4DC5-800D-032B74A73713-3616-0000033A72057914_zpsa272b0b8.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
thanks ditto :)
like to see a pro con list :)

I see these chairs or a exact look alike on Asian blogs a lot
curious do you have a link to them ? the table seems pretty nice
we have some REI cloth ones but think I want a hard table rather than a soft ?

Thanks! I posted the link in my previous post but not my last. The site is very basic but functional: http://www.remingtonfurniture.com/

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Just brought home a Strongback, WOW is it comfortable. By far the best camp chair I've ever tried.

To my surprise, Bookman's Outdoor Exchange in Tucson carries them new so I could try it out before I blindly bought. Bookman's also carries the Grub Hub new.

EDIT/update: Just been to my kids' swim meet. Nearly four hours in the chair. I am seriously tempted to buy one for the living room, aside from style, it's more comfortable than anything I have in the house. As someone with chronic back problems, I need a decent chair and as long as the chair is as durable as it is comfortable, it is a winner.

I bought the $79 one, but price tempted me to buy the $49 model, which was nearly as comfortable. I recently bought the GCI Express Lounger and it in no way compares in comfort to either of the Strongbacks. I'll keep it just because it is so compact, but it will be the second chair, or third if I buy another Strongback.

Last edited:

clcoyle

Explorer
I find the Snow Peak Director's chair to be the most comfortable and sturdy chair I have owned. One sure sign of it's comfort is at any camp site it is the one chair that is always occupied.

Snow Peak.JPG

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah that pocket is a strange one ? but guess you cold put something that is in your back pocket in there or something ?

they have a lot more colors now :) for sure have to finish up that headrest idea I came up with for this chair :) and get it posted up !

sure have a lot more colors to choose from now :) I kinda like that color a lot :) would be good with the AZ dust and dirt we get not showing up so much !!!!

I've had the Big Agnes Helinox Chair One in 'Tactiool' Tan for a week now and have been testing it out in the living room. Pretty comfy, although I don't know what one would use the pockets for.

View attachment 169835

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Helinox/chaironetacticaltan

Cheers,
Salue

buckshot500

Observer
Coleman Max is my choice. I'm a big boy, 270lbs.
I can't really sit in normal chairs and feel safe.

With my Coleman Max, I can plop right down with no worries. This chair is rated to 400 lbs.

Nice to know when the beer starts disappearing.

ts3doug

i went into an outdoors store planning on buying a trekker lounge chair for my thermarest pad. that plan was cast in with the rubbish when i sat in a helinox chair the store had on display. perfectly comfortable and fits beautifully in my motorcycle's saddlebags. two days later i was relaxing with a few beers on the sandy soils of the black river forest in wisconsin. good thing too, the bottle caps worked great under the feet to stop from sinking in.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
2013 update

I still have the chair in the OP, still going strong since 2007!

I've since bought 3 more of similar design since I always need extra chairs in camp... People seem to prefer these to their own for some reason ;)

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Does anyone have experience with the Frontrunner Expander Chairs? They look very similar to the GCI Lounger and Snow Peak Red Chair. I've heard great reviews on both of those so figured I'd try the FR version. They were on sale thru FRO for the holidays. I'll post pics and my thoughts when they arrive.

taugust

Adventurer
After trying a Strongback Elite at Mountain Rendezvous 2013 (thanks Linda), I bought one. The most comfortable camp chair ever. The lumbar support built in is fantastic. On her recommendation, bought from LL Bean for $80 with free shipping. Everyone agrees that it is amazing.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
After trying a Strongback Elite at Mountain Rendezvous 2013 (thanks Linda), I bought one. The most comfortable camp chair ever. The lumbar support built in is fantastic. On her recommendation, bought from LL Bean for $80 with free shipping. Everyone agrees that it is amazing.

Very cool! Never heard of those before. I like the video on their website: http://www.strongbackchair.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333