The start of my own Ambo Expo rig

Hi everyone, I've been lerking on this site for a while drooling over everyone's 4x4 vans and the such and decided that was what I wanted. I looked at buying a van and converting it to 4x4 then outfitting the interior for my camping needs. That was until I stumbled across the Six13 metalworks ambulance. I instantlly fell in lust with that idea! It just clicked in my head that was the way to go. I could easily outfit the interior for my needs and wants then convert it to 4x4.

I started looking around for a decent base ambulance to start with and couldn't find much to work with that wasn't in the 5-9k price range. Then I stumbled across this beauty. I got it for a smoking deal! I pick it up tomorrow morning :sombrero:

It's an 05 E450, 160k on chassis and body and only 40k on the infamous 6.0. Only things pulled are the radio's and the inverter. Hopefully the inverter not being there doesnt screw me over in the long run for my plans.

The plans are as following:

- Ujoint offroad 4x4 conversion done by me; Ive already got a 271 tcase (manual shift) with driveshafts and the 4R100 housing & output shaft. Ill be selling that off to get the correct adapter housing and shaft. It will be lifted (33's-35's), Superduty front 60 (once bought) will be rebuilt and filled with 4.10 gears, yukon locking hubs and zip locker. The rear may get swapped out for a non dually 10.5. I might try to track down a newer 10.5 that has the electric locker but if not it too will get a zip locker.

- The rear body might get trimmed like how hobietony did his, along with the rear bumper and body sliders. His and the Six13 metalworks Ambo's will be huge inspirations as to how I build mine. Lots of ideas will be stolen! There will be a front winch bumper and exta lights. Ill put clear covers on the lights, an awning or 2 and an outdoor shower.

- As for the interior Ill put in a window on the passenger side of the box and insulate everything. A dinette setup will be the main bed, a norcold t300 fridge with an ARB fridge as backup, a small convection microwave, a combo sink & stove top unit and a small sit in bathtub where the casette toilet will normally rest. Hot water will be a portable on demand unit. Add in a small tv for entertainment, lights and reworked electrical that will run off batterys with a 2000w interter and a honda ei2000 generator as backup. A diesel heater will provide warmth and fans for cooling, no plan for A/C.

- As for the 6.0 Ill be addressing its issues to make it bulletproof just like the 7.3 in my 02 F250.

Like with anything that I plan to build, things will most likely change along the way but thats half the fun. Anyway I hope to start work on things shortly after I get it. Ill start work on the interior and electrical and then go from there. Im currently not working so I plan to be cost effective with everything I do. Between looking and interviewing for jobs Ill work on this.

nsjames

that's a good sized box.

longer than mine it looks.

170"ish?
I wish I could have found one tall enough to stand upright in as well.

Good to have another ambo out there... Glad I could be an inspiration and thanks for the kind words.. And Good Luck with you're build!!

hobietony

Explorer
That there is a bigun'! Also, I've got windows, part of the package I salvaged from the MinnieWinnie, and I decided to not install one in mine. I'll send a pic with measurements of you're interested. We'll be watching this!

T

The bonus for me is I'm 5'8 so from my reading I'd be able to stand up in most boxes :) Always remember its not the length that matters... haha

warejn

Observer
Nice, the department I work for just sold a medic unit with 95k on it for 30k. You got a great deal.

I have spent a log of time in the back of one and alway thought it would make a good adventure rig.

Holy crap I forgot how much I hate driving through Ohio! I've got about another hour or so before I'm back in northern metro Detroit.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Good deal. Plenty of room where the bench sits for a good sofa/bed. If you are going with 35" tires and regearing I would suggest you look at 4:56 gears. I am running 4:10's with 34.5" tires and it is a bit over geared (but great for the interstates at 75+).

So I got this beast home yesterday from Ohio and still have a huge grin on my face. Almost 300 miles and not 1 issue. It ran great, shifted perfectly, stopped great...couldn't ask for more. I even was given some new in box oil and fuel filters and a huge manual with all the service and wiring diagrams. Minus a few small dents and dings and some bubbling paint on the box I can't believe its not still in service. Once I got it home I started diving through the systems to see what did and didnt work. To my suprise almost everything opperated, all except for the A/C (ill get that fixed), the air horns, some interior light with bad bulbs and the 115v electrical outlets due to not having an inverter.

I gave the interior a once over, its was filthy and there was some left over used medical waste. I quickly cleaned the big stuff and then sanitized. I love how much interior storage there is :Wow1: The main bench on the passenger side lifts up and there is more storage underneith (I believe the bench housing is molded fiberglass, I will be cutting it out and the storage unit behind it for the dinette). I pulled one of the ceiling lights and discovered the roof is already insulated, hopefully the walls are too. The flooring is a rubber diamond plate design and the thermostat is digital.

Did run into a few hickups with my overall plans. 1 being where the main electrical panel is placed. Its right where I wanted to put the tub/toilet area at. Maybe I can move it. The main bench and cabinets behind it also give me some room problems as I have to take more out then I thought to place the dinette. Like I expected plans will change. I also ran into an issue with the rig running like dog crap this afternoon, thought the whole egr system went. It was blowing James Bond movie smoke and had no power. I got it to clear up eventually but believe an egr delete and other work will be in the near future. For now I will clean out the EGR vavle as i bet it is coked up with carbon. I also have to get the FICU rebuilt to fix the hard cold start problem. I also will be trying to purchase the model of inverter that originally in the unit so I can reuse the already ran electrical outlets. The electrical set up that I plan to have will be independant and only ment to run the convection microwave, water pumps, entertainment system and hvac.

Here are some crappy pics, Ill take more tonight and tomorrow.

Vac pump

Air compressor

Looking in from the back

Messy wiring, gotta figure out what the lone red wire is for

Main electrial

Nice note

Box controls

More electrical mess

Mess and original inverter hookups.

Abitibi

Explorer
I can't talk about the mechanical aspect of your big black smoke entertainment device but sounds like the rest is gonna be a blast to deal with! What have you planed for the interior, complete rip off or you're selecting to keep some of the cabinets (they are usually pretty high quality).

I don't see why you'd need to get the same inverter, anyone will work al long as is large enough for your needs. Mine came with a 600W pure sine wave along with a charger. I'll keep it as is unless I realize I'm demanding more then she's got to offer. ;)

Your walls should also be insulated along with the doors, nice isn't it! And 2" of it as well!

Go crazy at it and ill try to catch up to you in a bit...

Cheers
Mr. D

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I've always warned about the electrical nightmare in these rigs and from those I've seen being used in person the nightmare is real.
Gut it. Find out what lights and electrical stuff you must have and trace those wires back to save. Gut the rest and start with a fresh energy efficient plan. Those things have a wire harness as big as my leg in them and I say to do your self a favor in the beginning and start fresh. You will save so much time and amps in the long run along with having a simple system that you know how to troubleshoot, use and add on too.

I disagree with the rip it out and start fresh method. Find someone local that knows what they're are looking at as far as low voltage electrical. They're simple, nice systems the main relay boards with circuit breakers instead of fuses will come in really handy if repurposed. The general idea of what is going on that makes them look complicated is that most of them are ground switched instead of positive switched. Meaning if the harness shorts to the body/chassis somewhere between the switches and the relays all that happens is the circuit turns on vs blowing fuses/ melting wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven