Bug Out Vehicle

oldestof11

Observer
Those of you saying you have a xxx range, ever consider the fact you WON'T be getting optimum mileage due to 4x4 use or just slow moving around other vehicles?

My plan is to get further away from Chicago and any other welfare city. Keeping from highways and major thoroughfares. I have grown up on a farm with a lot of kids and the garden helped. So dad's hairbrained idea of owning draft horses might come in handy. As did the blacksmithing lessons I took with the guy who sold my dad the horses. Those antiques people keep in their yard might come in handy.

Once SHTF, how are you going to get things like filtered oil, filters, coolant, anti-freeze, parts?

Also in that plan is ways to take warehouses of valuable goods (forget food, those will be raided first. Things like auto parts and clothing).

Think bigger people...

oldestof11

Observer
A lot of that planning was fueled by the oil scare of 2007 (I remember him planning on it in 04) that a lot of the hobby farm mags were talking about.

eggman918

Adventurer
Those of you saying you have a xxx range, ever consider the fact you WON'T be getting optimum mileage due to 4x4 use or just slow moving around other vehicles?

My plan is to get further away from Chicago and any other welfare city. Keeping from highways and major thoroughfares. I have grown up on a farm with a lot of kids and the garden helped. So dad's hairbrained idea of owning draft horses might come in handy. As did the blacksmithing lessons I took with the guy who sold my dad the horses. Those antiques people keep in their yard might come in handy.

Once SHTF, how are you going to get things like filtered oil, filters, coolant, anti-freeze, parts?

Also in that plan is ways to take warehouses of valuable goods (forget food, those will be raided first. Things like auto parts and clothing).

Think bigger people...

My rigs mileage takes a 50% hit on trails/steep crooked Forest service roads under ideal conditions if the SHTF I expect it will only get worse.
I am glad to see that I'm not the only one to pack a pan forge and anvil in my kit..I thought I might be crazy. But in all seriousness you could fill a whole trailer with the things that are necessary
for long term/permanent relocation,in most situations multiple foraging trips will be required for long term success and this opens a whole new can of worms.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Thanks for that link. Although I would disagree that it is 'quick' reading :), it certainly is interesting and valuable reading.

I'm with Lynn. It's a bit of a read, but it is full of practical and useful info for the crises that are far more likely to occur in your life.

oldestof11

Observer
A quick forge that we built for next to nothing was a push lawnmower deck with a 93 Dodge 1 ton brake drum, 2 pipe flange welded on, a 2" T, cap on the bottom, hairdryer blowing into the short section of the T. Or just even having the brake drum without the deck. Or do propane, more places have propane than good coal.

Another thought, Have the significant other drive your vehicle and grab a tender/tanker from the fire house. There are some with up to 4500 gallons of water in a huge truck and have a nice front bumper. Some even have draft pumps so you can pull it out of places that might not have the power to run it but have resavoirs (sp?). Then there are a few with trash pumps on them which would be helpful for dirty water sources. Generally, around here at least, they are WELL taken care of, low miles, have equipment you will probably find handy, and once they run out of fuel, a few gallons of oil the might come in handy for your diesel truck.

Best to hit up the volunteer departments.

I like the discussion but I don't think it will happen.

eggman918

Adventurer
I'm with Lynn. It's a bit of a read, but it is full of practical and useful info for the crises that are far more likely to occur in your life.

There are MANY scenarios that could make bugging out necessary,it has happened twice to my family in 4 generations.My Great grandfather had to bug out with his family from Kentucky after the Civil war
my Grandfather had to do the same during the dust bowl in the '30's.The more advanced and thereby top heavy society becomes the easier it is for events to destabilize it.At any time we are less than a week away from anarchy,while dwelling on it is not healthy or productive you have a responsibility to your family to be prepared for the potential that you may be required to fend for yourselves for a short period of time or worst case a very LONG time.We have a kind of "neighborhood watch" 8 or 10 extended families that should something happen plan to stick together locally or if needed flee together
just because society fails on the large scale we do not intend to fail society.....maybe just downsize a bit.

Louisd75

Adventurer
There are MANY scenarios that could make bugging out necessary,it has happened twice to my family in 4 generations.My Great grandfather had to bug out with his family from Kentucky after the Civil war
my Grandfather had to do the same during the dust bowl in the '30's.The more advanced and thereby top heavy society becomes the easier it is for events to destabilize it.At any time we are less than a week away from anarchy,while dwelling on it is not healthy or productive you have a responsibility to your family to be prepared for the potential that you may be required to fend for yourselves for a short period of time or worst case a very LONG time.We have a kind of "neighborhood watch" 8 or 10 extended families that should something happen plan to stick together locally or if needed flee together
just because society fails on the large scale we do not intend to fail society.....maybe just downsize a bit.

I agree, there are many, many scenarios that would require bugging out. You can prepare for the apocalypse, anarchy and complete collapse of society all you want. The reality is, in sixty seconds or less you can lose EVERYTHING to something as insignificant as a faulty toaster (or your neighbor's faulty toaster if you share a wall). Kind of renders moot any stockpile you have unless you can get it all out in less time than it took for you to log in and navigate to this screen from the ExPo home page. From what I've seen poking around the 'net and survival magazines and books, most people seem to be preparing for the end of the world (not very likely) but overlook the day to day things that are statistically much more likely.

Rayholio

A bugout vehicle is a great secondary purpose for a vehicle... especially an overlander... with the world the way it is.. why wouldn't someone give this at least a little thought.

Lynn

Expedition Leader

It took me a few days of spare time to read through it, and I skipped over a lot of the details specific to Katrina.

Now I plan to spend the next few months working through the worksheets so I can HYST.

Increadible resource.

I really like his emphasis on getting back HOME, re-establishing your life, etc.

This thread made baby Jeebus cry....

It went from a civil conversation to sterilization of humans, Hitler, Stalin, Katrina, welfare and a fat, nasty whore sister in law.....Ritalin for everyone!!!!

GasGuzzlingZ71

I'm surprised no one mentioned cammy (camo) netting. It can provide shade while not blocking the wind much, and if setup right it will help make you less noticeable (depending on location of course). When I was in the Marines I used to hate putting the stuff up and taking it down so much, but it is handy. Roll it up on one side of your roof rack. With help you can have it up in under 10 minutes (depending on size).

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Got a net. Seldom use it as it's heavy and I don't have any poles for it. Love having it though. You could park in a tree line and be "less noticeable" in a very short time. It's rolling it up when it's full of sticks that's the fun part...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven