Hypothetical F250 build

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
yes......and he owns a Honda.
Both very good vehicles.
I did like the '22 Tundra. Had a deal on a Lunar Rock SR5 TRD OR CrewMax.
Just felt limited with 3:31 ratio, no tow mirrors and no 'max tow' option + low payload.
For us the F150 just ticked the right boxes. If Ram had the Hurricane TT-I6 when I was shopping, that could've been a contender too.
My 2003 Accord EX-L V6 was also a fantastic car. Still a big fan of Accords cause of that car.

Grassland

Well loaded up for a 5 day camping trip and having to take my best friends camp chairs, screen tent, cooler, and paddle boards, on top of all the usual stuff we have and the bicycles and rack, I would be in the same boat with a PP 2.7 F150 as I am with the WK2. Unloading all the work stuff and then loading all the camp stuff.
Too bad it's 15-20K more to get a 3/4 ton.
In other news, puppy keeps growing

Attachments

• IMG_20230803_145200.jpg
    IMG_20230803_145200.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Sounds like Titan XD would fit the bill...10k off msrp is not uncommon, much more comfy, and they are much better equipped than an XL Ford while being cheaper at real world prices. Ford is having parts supply issues and 10 spd issues. I like em but until they start being well under msrp again I don't think they're worth it.

Alloy

Both very good vehicles.
Just felt limited with 3:31 ratio, no tow mirrors and no 'max tow' option + low payload.
For us the F150 just ticked the right boxes. If Ram had the Hurricane TT-I6 when I was shopping, that could've been a contender too.
My 2003 Accord EX-L V6 was also a fantastic car. Still a big fan of Accords cause of that car.

Asked my buddy why he didn't get a F150. The timing belt needs to be done every 80K. Warranty covers it the first time but no the second and there are still issues with the trasmissions.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Both very good vehicles.
That’s my general gripe with 1/2 tons. Crappy payload, tow mirrors will cost you like a thousand dollars, and you don’t get a big fuel tank standard, if at all.

My base model 2500 has all those concerns coverd. It’s just slow and gets bad mileage, lol.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Asked my buddy why he didn't get a F150. The timing belt needs to be done every 80K. Warranty covers it the first time but no the second and there are still issues with the trasmissions.

Timing belt? All current engine offerings have timing chains and isn’t a maintenance item. I think the old 3.0 diesel has a timing belt.

10-speed transmission has been pretty reliable, I think. But I haven’t kept close tabs on that.

Alloy

Timing belt? All current engine offerings have timing chains and isn’t a maintenance item. I think the old 3.0 diesel has a timing belt.

10-speed transmission has been pretty reliable, I think. But I haven’t kept close tabs on that.

Timing belt.......my screw up should be timing chain.

phsycle

Adventurer
Timing belt.......my screw up should be timing chain.

That’s what’s throwing me off. Timing chains don’t need to be replaced unless there is unusual wear. Definitely not an 80k mile interval. Ford doesn’t even show it as a maintenance item.

Grassland

That’s what’s throwing me off. Timing chains don’t need to be replaced unless there is unusual wear. Definitely not an 80k mile interval. Ford doesn’t even show it as a maintenance item.
It is indeed a chain. In the NA cyclones they never had timing chain stretch or failure issues that I could find. Certainly not at the mileage boosted engine owners had.
Ford doesn't list proper intervals for all sorts of maintenance items unless you look at the severe service schedule. I live in Canada and use my trucks for work duty. It fits the requirements of severe service between the loads and the weather. And those intervals are a fair amount different than the "standard"

Titans stopped being offered in Canada a while ago, and a Titan XD is not a lot different than a payload F150, and as well we had no incentives in Manitoba. Even a Frontier PRO 4X is more money than a new Colorado Trail Boss

Alloy

It is indeed a chain. In the NA cyclones they never had timing chain stretch or failure issues that I could find. Certainly not at the mileage boosted engine owners had.
Ford doesn't list proper intervals for all sorts of maintenance items unless you look at the severe service schedule. I live in Canada and use my trucks for work duty. It fits the requirements of severe service between the loads and the weather. And those intervals are a fair amount different than the "standard"

Titans stopped being offered in Canada a while ago, and a Titan XD is not a lot different than a payload F150, and as well we had no incentives in Manitoba. Even a Frontier PRO 4X is more money than a new Colorado Trail Boss

It's not every truck but it's an issse like CP4 and death wobble.

https://newparts.com/articles/ford-3-5l-ecoboost-series-timing-chain-issues/

Grassland

I'm not saying 3.5 EB never had timing issues (especially as one friend is on third chain and second phasers or something ridiculous) I'm saying the non turbo versions don't have the issue so it's not inherent to the design necessarily

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That’s my general gripe with 1/2 tons. Crappy payload, tow mirrors will cost you like a thousand dollars, and you don’t get a big fuel tank standard, if at all.

My base model 2500 has all those concerns coverd. It’s just slow and gets bad mileage, lol.
My payload is 1,777lbs so not huge. Tow mirrors... I *think* were $350? And good sized 36 gallon tank combined with the Ecoboost gives a long range. Heavier Duty truck for sure would have better payload. But 95% of the time the truck is just used for commuting 60 miles per day. So a big NA V8 wouldn't be as efficient.

Mack M

I've got nearly the exact truck you're considering.

Ordered it last year, took 10 weeks to get.

22 F250 XL w/stx, 7.3, 4.30s, rear locker, 360 cam in super cab short bed. Paid 47k USD.

I added 35s on 17 inch wheels, did a basic Leveling kit with new coils, extended brake lines and fox 2.0 shocks. Bed drawers, softopper, fridge and subwoofer in the cab.

Door says I get 3,332 lbs load capacity
Hi Norcaltoy, I'm thinking of doing the same, any chance you could comment on how the 35's affected seat of the pants power as well as mpg (I know, not a Prius, just curious). Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle