Is Offroading in a SuperDuty Really That Bad?

rruff

Explorer
I've heard via instagram that adding just the Carli Torsion Sway Bar kit dramatically increases the ride. Don't know anyone who has done it but that's the word on the street.
Just remove the swaybar...

I don't know what the springs and shocks are like on a F350, but I bet you can make it decent without spending a lot. Definitely lowering air pressure can help.

Last edited:

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Just remove the swaybar...

I don't know what the springs and shocks are like on a F350, but I bet you can make it decent without spending a lot. Definitely lowering air pressure can help.
First two things I’d do is pull the front sway bar completely and drop tire pressure. It’ll be liveable then. However a completely stock super duty with 65+ psi and sway bar intact will be miserable.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Sounds good to me. You'll have plenty of money for suspension upgrades if you want! Get low gearing and 37s while you are at it...
Orrr.... Speaking of exactly that.... This one is ready to go:

Screenshot 2024-05-16 151745.png

Screenshot 2024-05-16 152329.png

Screenshot 2024-05-16 152307.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 152117.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 152202.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 152223.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 152242.png

Last edited:

yfarm

Observer
Those roads in DE56 photos are similar to better one I drive on periodically going to a ranch in NM towing a utility trailer. 20 miles from the highway as the crow flies, 3 hours of driving at 5-8 mph. 2020 SD F250 with snowplow and camper packages on 35s. Doable just go slow, did it once in a JKUR, same travel time little easier to avoid rocks and ruts. See breakdowns on other vehicles occasionally trying to go faster. Truck is great on the highway, worst place is in town with potholes,expansion joints. Will disconnect the f &r swaybars next time I go to the ranch. Planned to do Carli when the 7.3 package came out, so far haven’t done it.

Mack M

I'd leave it stock aside from the 35's for now. Air down and drive slow where needed as @Ozarker mentioned.

The weight of the camper and anything else you've loaded up for the trip will help.

All depends on where you are traveling off road. Gravel, Hard packed dirt, logging roads, rocky trails?

I'd try what I suggest above first and see how you find the ride. Then upgrade the suspension if you feel it's warranted.
Thanks, yeah that's probably what I'm thinking. The plan is to drive the Pan American, so lots of all of the above. I think you're right though, get 35s to start, and go from there. Thanks

Mack M

Those roads in DE56 photos are similar to better one I drive on periodically going to a ranch in NM towing a utility trailer. 20 miles from the highway as the crow flies, 3 hours of driving at 5-8 mph. 2020 SD F250 with snowplow and camper packages on 35s. Doable just go slow, did it once in a JKUR, same travel time little easier to avoid rocks and ruts. See breakdowns on other vehicles occasionally trying to go faster. Truck is great on the highway, worst place is in town with potholes,expansion joints. Will disconnect the f &r swaybars next time I go to the ranch. Planned to do Carli when the 7.3 package came out, so far haven’t done it.
Interesting, I need to climb under there and see how easy it would be to disconnect the front and rear swaybars. I'm sure it's just a few bolts.

Mack M

I roll around on the street with my tremor at 40psi in the tires. It's a huge difference compared to the factory set PSI. Airing down more when off road helps a lot as well.
Interesting, I never thought of doing that. Does it drastically reduce tire life though?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Correct tire pressure is based primarily upon heat management.

Variables that contribute are road speed, load, and pressure. Running a lower pressure will require either slower speed or lesser load, or a combination of the two.

Keep tires from overheating and they will last

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Fwiw, recommended tire pressure is for max load rate, if you are concerned about tire longevity, hd vehicles are not for you.
Also, if you are using a HD truck as a grocery getter/ daily driver, what is the point?

rruff

Explorer
Interesting, I need to climb under there and see how easy it would be to disconnect the front and rear swaybars. I'm sure it's just a few bolts.
For on-road handling I think you'll want some shocks with high digressive damping. Bilsteins might be enough.

Interesting, I never thought of doing that. Does it drastically reduce tire life though?
Check Toyo inflation tables. My tires (325/65r18) are rated for 2715 lbs at 40 psi. 2535 lbs at 35.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thanks, yeah that's probably what I'm thinking. The plan is to drive the Pan American, so lots of all of the above. I think you're right though, get 35s to start, and go from there. Thanks
Huh. I actually read the book below about a couple that drove a stock SuperCab long box Superduty with an Avion Camper down the Pan American....

Screenshot 2024-05-17 082310.png

EDIT: Tried to post the Amazon link for the book here but, for some reason it won't let me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3