Is Offroading in a SuperDuty Really That Bad?

Mack M

For on-road handling I think you'll want some shocks with high digressive damping. Bilsteins might be enough.

Check Toyo inflation tables. My tires (325/65r18) are rated for 2715 lbs at 40 psi. 2535 lbs at 35.

Ah very interesting, I didn't realize that there are inflation tables based on different inflation rates.

Mack M

Fwiw, recommended tire pressure is for max load rate, if you are concerned about tire longevity, hd vehicles are not for you.
Also, if you are using a HD truck as a grocery getter/ daily driver, what is the point?
I currently own an International 4300, and sold a few years ago, my old 7.3 power stroke. I understand HD vehicles. But I've always run them at max tire pressure. I've never considered not running them at that pressure, hence my question.

Mack M

Correct tire pressure is based primarily upon heat management.

Variables that contribute are road speed, load, and pressure. Running a lower pressure will require either slower speed or lesser load, or a combination of the two.

Keep tires from overheating and they will last
Ah ok, that makes sense, thank you!

Mack M

I currently own an International 4300, and sold a few years ago, my old 7.3 power stroke. I understand HD vehicles. But I've always run them at max tire pressure. I've never considered not running them at that pressure, hence my question.
For example, I was lucky to get 35,000 miles (on the front at least) on my Powerstroke, due to the weight of the motor, but I always ran them at 80psi. My question, was if I run them at 40 or 50, based on other people's experience, would I considerably shorten the lifespan of them.

rruff

Explorer
Ah very interesting, I didn't realize that there are inflation tables based on different inflation rates.
You meant different load rates I guess? You can safely keep them much lower than the "max", if your loading is much less than the max. Unloaded I've been running mine at 35f and 30r, and with a load on the highway 40 all around. If I'm camping long term and driving to town every week or so, I'll air down and leave them at 25-30 even on pavement because I'm lazy. Theoretically they shouldn't overheat with that load and pressure even at 112 mph (the max speed rating). Wear is even after 25k miles.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You meant different load rates I guess? You can safely keep them much lower than the "max", if your loading is much less than the max. Unloaded I've been running mine at 35f and 30r, and with a load on the highway 40 all around. If I'm camping long term and driving to town every week or so, I'll air down and leave them at 25-30 even on pavement because I'm lazy. Theoretically they shouldn't overheat with that load and pressure even at 112 mph (the max speed rating). Wear is even after 25k miles.
I do the same. I'm usually only towing 7,500 lbs w/ about 750 lbs in the bed for 2-3 hours at a time at 60 mph. 35x10R20 Toyo AT3 Load Range E.

rruff

Explorer
For example, I was lucky to get 35,000 miles (on the front at least) on my Powerstroke, due to the weight of the motor, but I always ran them at 80psi. My question, was if I run them at 40 or 50, based on other people's experience, would I considerably shorten the lifespan of them.
The opposite. You have a lot more rubber on the road at 40 psi vs 80 psi. Unless your alignment is off, your front tires will usually just be rolling unless you turn. Better traction should help. Even with a diesel I'm pretty sure you don't have 5k lbs on the front axle, so 40 psi would be more than enough for most tires in the 35" range.

The tires are your first line of suspension; they soak up the smaller irregularities that your suspension has trouble responding to.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tires set to 40-50 psi depending on your driving needs and payload/tow weight. Remove front sway bar, Carli kit with Accutune shocks, and 35's or 37's with a 0mm offset or less and then get out there and explore. I run my tires at 50 psi when towing and 40--42 psi for daily driving unladen.

rruff

Explorer
Ram Power Wagon, 37x13.5r17. He ended up at 35 psi front and 32 rear... and by his own admission he was being conservatively high with the pressure.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
An old 7.3 powerstroke wasn’t very heavy compared to trucks these days, and made far far less power. With a heavy foot, an 8800 lb truck, and 1200 lbs of torque I could keep tires on my 350 for 40K miles. In a 7000 lb 7.3 putting 400 lbs of torque to the ground it would be much easier. Tires have come a long way just as trucks have.

MR. ED

Observer
I've been lightly wheeling a 14 super duty xl 6.2 for about 5 years now. Great trucks for work and play. Sterling 10.5 with locker and a Dana 60 up front. It's a bit of a rough ride unloaded but if you're putting a camper on it I bet it will settle in nicely. Thirsty for sure with skinny 35s, that I've aired down to 40psi. Buddy's have Tundras with the same mpg and can't load em like I can. I've been eyeing the 6.8 xls with the off road package so I can keep it super basic with electric windows/locks.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thanks everyone, decided to pull the trigger and deal with the discomfort of any off-roading, or rather, not as comfortable as my old GX.

Base XL, with only options of locking rear diff, and running boards.

35's arrive tomorrow, and now the hunt for a camper begins.

View attachment 835590
Guessing you've got loads of payload to play with! Good choice!

So do base XL's come standard with Air, Tilt, Cruise and Power windows / locks now?

Every year it seems more standard equipment get added to trucks.

Used to be way back in the day when scanning used car classifieds in the local Bargain Finder, anything that started out with A/T/C/ PW/PDL basically meant 'loaded", lol

Mack M

Guessing you've got loads of payload to play with! Good choice!

So do base XL's come standard with Air, Tilt, Cruise and Power windows / locks now?

Every year it seems more standard equipment get added to trucks.

Used to be way back in the day when scanning used car classifieds in the local Bargain Finder, anything that started out with A/T/C/ PW/PDL basically meant 'loaded", lol
3,998 lbs :)

Not only do they come with Air, Tilt, Cruise and Power windows / locks, but also wireless Apple Car Play/Android Auto and a decent 'infotainment' screen.

Yeah, the XL's aren't as spartan as my 2002 Powerstroke XL was. It's fairly decent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3