what's a definition of a real land rover ?

Steve UK

Adventurer
Purely subjective, as with anything in life. Who cares they are just cars. I think my land rover is real and I'm sure everyone here that owns a land rover considers it real. Still like mine the most.

4b0f9627-853a-5d2c.jpg

Every time you post a picture of yours blue bomber I wish I had one just like it, a real Land Rover is one that is well used and has a story to tell. At 12 years old my D90 still feels new :)

tacr2man

Adventurer
Have to agree on end of use of beam axles as being the change point , from then on the go anywhere capability was being diluted by comfort compromises , although they were bringing in new tech to try and regain lost off road performance, retaining beam axles +new tech would have increased capability . JMHO .

aka rover

Adventurer
Forget Toyota. Toyota has no business in this thread.

Anyhow... What was the original intended purpose of a Land Rover? I don't know the answer to that one myself.

forget Africa. While I was out of town, my wife's LR3 died on her. I get her txt msg as I cross the border back to the US.... "my car died. call me"
I call her... "the car died?" and she says, "yeah, that was FOUR days ago."AH

Land Rovers eat **** everywhere. Not only Africa. So don't go dream about Africa just yet.

HAHA you bit!!

The 5 on 6-1/2 is good....

...solid axles...well, that's redundant...

...coils or leafs?

...points or not?

...starting handle...and do you use it?

...carbie or efi?

Ooo, re-configurable top. I think that's got it for me.

When I can go outside and decide if I want the long top, the 3-man top, or none at all, that's when its a Landie :)

Of course, just as often after having made that decision, I'll have to top off the fluids that have leaked out, sweep out the leaves that have blown in, and get the starting handle out to spin over the old leaf sprung, carburetted, generator powered girl :)

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I prefer the 5 on 6-1/2 bolt pattern criteria.
Ha! My first thought after reading the OP.
But in reality they are all "real" Land Rovers IMO, you just won't ever find me driving one that doesn't have that lug pattern.

Buy A toyota if you want a DD
I don't own anything but land rovers. After 35 years of Land Rovers as daily drivers I don't see myself buying a different vehicle just to use as a DD.

Anyhow... What was the original intended purpose of a Land Rover? I don't know the answer to that one myself.
The real purpose? A product stopgap to allow Rover to make money until steel rationing ended and they could get back to their real business of making cars.

The only "real" land rover is the one with the center steering wheel and sits on an MB frame.
I don't think I'd consider a prototype that was never a production vehicle as the real deal.

94Discovery

Adventurer
falling in love with your land rover is awesome , but how do u fall in love with one that doesn't have that character? i guess u dont, just lease and return :)
Most of the new cars look alike so how the hell will they have character I guess at a maximum you lease them .when the rrc was lunched in the 70 they had a back log of 2 years ,where do you find this anymore ,going to a dealership is like going to Walmart.:snorkel:

GlobalJet

Definition according to Urban Dictionary...

"Land Rover; Sort of like a high-end Jeep - a luxurious, gas guzzling, low quality, unreliable pile of crap. The difference is that Land Rovers are for people who don't know how to fix it themselves, but actually *can* afford to pay someone else to do it - a yin to the Jeep driver's yang.
They are usually driven by people whose elitism wouldn't allow them to drive a far more reliable, far higher quality, and equally off-road-capable Japanese 4x4. Land Rovers are particularly favored by middle aged men who remember waaaay back when Land Rovers were actually better than other off-road vehicles. They longed for one as a child, so now they remain in denial about the unpleasant reality of their dream car.
The main trait all Land Rover enthusiasts share is a desperate need to feel and express superiority over Americans and/or Japanese.
Women who choose Landies do so for the only reason any woman chooses any car - they like the way it looks. This is by far the most logical reason to drive a Land Rover - you go girls!
Contrary to popular myth, Land Rovers are never driven by people on safari - or anyone who needs reliable transportation more than a few miles from the dealership. A few people tried it, but they were all eaten by lions."

ini88

Adventurer
What makes a land rover a real land rover...............

The owner.

Nailed it on the head! I love seeing people take their LR3/LR4 and MKIII's off the road and on an adventure. It's the driver that makes it a real Land Rover.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I like all Land Rovers regardless of generation, but I would consider that a real Land Rover would be any model that can be completely taken apart and/or assembled with common mechanic tools, and was offered in a CKD.

REDROVER

Explorer
I like all Land Rovers regardless of generation, but I would consider that a real Land Rover would be any model that can be completely taken apart and/or assembled with common mechanic tools, and was offered in a CKD.

i agree 100% fixing it with common mechanic tools. or a land rover that has a real pull up hand break for all 4 wheels , not electronic lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL