Wolf's Ongoing Discovery Build Thread

SeaRubi

Explorer
Sills

a) with the trim gone, the sills are totally flat on the bottom. I used them for years with the hi-lift and a small strip of plywood, about 8" long, to even out the load a bit. I can live with being redneck and out on the dirt versus stuck at home being a KB wheeler. For 7 years of off-roading I had one medium sized dent to show in the passenger side front door. I see a lot of rigs that have the same dents a little higher on the door where the slider couldn't have possibly protected anything.

b) what do you think the majority of the sliders bolt to? there are only a couple out there that actually appear to be frame mounted. and even then, I'm not sure it does a whole lot except to keep the slider from rotating once the step has caught on a rock and acting like a pry-bar on the sills.

c) If you're going to jack from the sill, you need to notch the plastic so that the tongue of the jack is making flat contact with the sill. If you don't, the sill will crush and won't sit evenly on the tongue and it very likely will slip.

d) lifting a 5k truck on bare metal slider with nothing preventing it from sliding off side-to-side isn't any less dangerous than jacking off the sill. I hate seeing people use the slider as a jack point in any case. if a tire settles on a rock it's going down, plain and simple. most front bumpers don't have good jackpoints, either, and yet I see people all the time trying to use them.

e) I don't give a rip how you blow your paychecks. if you think you need all this crap to go see some countryside that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that you actually don't.

f) if you're so afraid of a little body damage that you need to spend $3k on "protection" more power to you. If you gas up the tank, expect to sacrifice at least one body panel and break one drivetrain component on every trip you'll find that neither happens very often and when and if it does, replacement parts are cheap to be found. You'll also find your wallet a little heavier and a lot more scenery in your photo galleries than if you sat at home wishing you could be just like the other pimpled out rovers that are every bit as much of a street queen as the guys' trucks they berate over the internet.

The LR forum on here has changed into another dweb wannabe place that's all about the bling and belittling of others that don't conform to what a handful of people preach is the only way to use their rig. well, to hell with that. if you don't think that applies to you, you'd be correct. Fill up the tank and go, and just ignore all this crap.

-ike

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
and when and if it does, replacement parts are cheap to be found.

Generally I agree, except... the sills are kinda difficult and expensive to repair. I wouldn't like to be driving around with creased sills, as they are very important to the structural integrity of the truck in a side impact.

there's a lot of love in this room!

:coffee:

Texans are so controversial :coffeedrink:

Oh... No... You did not! Say that!!

(duck, fire in the hole...)

Another group in a different forum has basically melted down over my truck. Two groups actually. It's the Wild, Wild West of the Internet out yonder, folks...

SeaRubi

Explorer
Thom there are people all over the world making do with a lot less. I've seen FWD toyota sedans in central mexico crawling down roads i would have thought twice about in any of my trucks. you can say what you want it doesn't mean anything to me.

You are Full of it!!

The plastic sils are crap and have no strucural value at all. Notching them and using them with a high lift would create a very dangerous situation. This is horrible advice!!

You need to stop spouting off like you know something in this section, It is very clear you dont know anything about these trucks at all from this post.

These trucks should have diff protection and sliders. The diffs are paper thin and trail damage to the front diff will stop you in your tracks and pour gear oil all over a trail. Dragging the plastic valance over rocks will crack them in short order and dropping the sill on rocks will damage the sills and damage the bottom of the doors.

Part of owning a rover is the fact it can do many things, If you beat and bash a unprotected body and chassis on the trail it then become a eye sore on the road and no longer fits in well for other uses.

What complete garbage you spew!!!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ben,

I have to agree.

Which direction do you think is the misconception? That they are needed, or that they are not needed?

As I said, some perspective is needed to determine if you need them. You can do anything the truck is designed to do, safely, without sliders. And that's largely the group this forum is intended for. If you choose to do difficult trails for sport, I think they're warranted.

Scott Brady

Founder
It was directed at the use of a hi-lift. If you carry one, your vehicle should be configured for its safe use, and you should have experience and training on how to use it. Training does not need to come from a "trainer", but even a friend or club member experienced with the tool in the field.

SeaRubi

Explorer
how much of colorado can one see and not wheel holy cross? that's where i'm coming from.

there are guys all over this forum asking if any number of stock vehicles with less clearance than a land rover can get to - honda elements and ridgelines, VW syncros, all the cute utes etc. there are a TON more places a bone stock LR is perfectly able to get in and out of safely without wounding more than a little pride than these other vehicles.

the misconception is that you need all this armor and bling to head out and explore what is mostly dirt roads with a chance rockpile or shelf. I've seen an awful lot of east and west texas where this guy's from. 2 family members, lots of college buddies, and 2 former employees live in Austin out toward the big lake there. There just isn't a lot of terrain in that area to warrant rock sliders.

about that diff gaurd - just take the one from the rear if it isn't welded and move to the front. having a rear diff-guard is sort of like buying a double-ended sailboat. that works great for sailing backwards!!! most of us can safely skip it.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
It was directed at the use of a hi-lift. If you carry one, your vehicle should be configured for its safe use, and you should have experience and training on how to use it. Training does not need to come from a "trainer", but even a friend or club member experienced with the tool in the field.

Ah. What in your opinion is required to configure a vehicle for their use? Is it just having a solid point to jack from (ie: sliders, steel bumpers, etc.) or is it a feature like a jacking hole? Jacking holes make some sense, but I don't see them very often.

I'm curious as I still have time to add something to my bumper before I paint it, and also to the sliders.

Ike, good post. That's basically what I was trying to say too.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Hi-Lift is usually the first thing people buy, sometimes even before a recovery strap and gloves, or installing proper recovery points. The Hi-Lift requires proper bumpers for safe lifting (and to prevent body damage). The Hi-Lift is rarely tested on the vehicle and often long-travel Jeeps and Land Rovers wheel travel exceeds the safe lifting height of a 48" unit. I also find that the drivers are sometime too small/week to actually lift their heavy vehicle with the jack.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I bought my Hi-Lift mostly for the winching. I have lifted the truck with it on the driveway to test, lifting on the ARB. I haven't needed it yet in the field. By "proper bumpers" so you mean any steel bumper, not necessarily with the jacking holes?

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
I have used my Hi lift to "cast" the car sideways, off a rock or to be able to put rocks under the wheel.
as to the need for cill protection, my 71 rangerover door only opens if you pull HARD now,:) it needs them,

the discovery has rock sliders on, bolted to the cill and frame, and I have still managed to bend the 2x4 box section they are made from.
if you dont need them you dont, but the one time you do..............

muskyman

Explorer
The Hi-Lift is usually the first thing people buy, sometimes even before a recovery strap and gloves, or installing proper recovery points. The Hi-Lift requires proper bumpers for safe lifting (and to prevent body damage). The Hi-Lift is rarely tested on the vehicle and often long-travel Jeeps and Land Rovers wheel travel exceeds the safe lifting height of a 48" unit. I also find that the drivers are sometime too small/week to actually lift their heavy vehicle with the jack.

LOL

I came on a guy in a ford excursion buried in the mud with the spare tire under a highlift and sweaty and frustrated he told me the jack was broken...He was just not strong enough to use it.

I removed the jack and used my hydro winch to pull him out, The guy commented on how slow my winch was, I asked him if that was compared to his progress with the high lift:victory:

lwg

The LR forum on here has changed into another dweb wannabe place that's all about the bling and belittling of others that don't conform to what a handful of people preach is the only way to use their rig. well, to hell with that. if you don't think that applies to you, you'd be correct. Fill up the tank and go, and just ignore all this crap.

-ike

Ike,
I agree with you 100% on this. I suspect that's why many people, myself included, don't take the time to provide any input on many of these threads anymore. It's a shame really.

And for what it's worth I rarely if ever use my sliders. I don't even have diff protection....

disco 03

I rarely chime in on this stuff, yet I would voice the opinion that sliders are something that someone should consider as I have personally watched the results of climbing in a rock strewn dry creek bed without a slider to help deflect a close call. If someone intends to greenlane or lightly wheel a truck, that is up to them. I will say, as a former Blazer wheeler, the first items that I added to my disco were diff protection and sliders. It all about what you plan on actually using the truck for. Some folks go for the bling-build, some folks go for the hard use off road-build. Really, whatever floats your boat. But I would also have to say that advice to use a high-lift jack with plastic sills is rather poor and dangerous advice. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal